importing a CB1100RS into the US

Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
It was in the early nineties when I tried to import a RC 30 from Canada into New York State where I was living. Before I paid the bike in full I contacted Honda USA and explained my plan ( it was a 1989 model ) They send me a LOT of paper work and it became to complicated for me to continue . The Canadian owner returned my deposit and I found a 1990 USA model in Scranton PA , close by to our home near Binghamton NY. Is there perhaps a company in the USA or Canada whom could do the paper work for you ? Good Luck.
There are companies that will import but from some quick research, their only goal is getting it across the border. The ones I’ve spoken with don’t help with titling and registration.

I’ve been doing some digging and may end up just going with an EX and modding it to the look I’m after. This sort of uncovered another problem which is that there aren’t many EXs for sale in general
 
Honestly I don’t think it’s worth the hassle and Honda won’t bother to help you with this. One other issue,Honda will only have info parts for bikes sold in the U.S. market to getting parts would have to be from outside the U.S. I want to get a set of RS turn singles for my 2014 Standard and they are coming from Japan.
 
FLYTYM_imp said:
Honestly I don’t think it’s worth the hassle and Honda won’t bother to help you with this. One other issue,Honda will only have info parts for bikes sold in the U.S. market to getting parts would have to be from outside the U.S. I want to get a set of RS turn singles for my 2014 Standard and they are coming from Japan.
Did you try ordering the 2017 RS parts from Honda? They are cataloged and carried in their warehouses despite the bike not being available here.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
FLYTYM_imp said:
Honestly I don’t think it’s worth the hassle and Honda won’t bother to help you with this. One other issue,Honda will only have info parts for bikes sold in the U.S. market to getting parts would have to be from outside the U.S. I want to get a set of RS turn singles for my 2014 Standard and they are coming from Japan.
Did you try ordering the 2017 RS parts from Honda? They are cataloged and carried in their warehouses despite the bike not being available here.
Did you try ordering the 2017 RS parts from Honda? They are cataloged and carried in their warehouses despite the bike not being available here.
I do know from personal experience that the dealer has no info on a model not sold in the U.S. When I started looking into putting the spoke wheels on my 2014 the dealers had no part numbers for any of the OEM parts in there database for model years 2013-2014.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
That’s bizarre, FLYTM. Partsfish—a US site—can give you part numbers for 2013-14. For example, https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/c/honda_motorcycle_2013/parts.

They also have part numbers for the 2017 RS—see https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/l/hon/5907904087a8660d54fac353/2017-cb1100na-ac-parts.

I suspect you might need another dealer.

That said, the parts may still need to come from Japan.
2 dealerships I’ve dealt with told me the same thing but I do know I can get the export part numbers online. I want to put a set of RS turn signals on my 2014 and everything is coming from Samurider.
 
Parts for the 2017 CB1100RS are available from any US Honda dealer. Parts are stocked at the regular stocking warehouses. Ordering the parts through a US dealer in-store means no shipping costs since they combine them with their regular orders. Partsfish shows Right Front Turn Signal 33400-MGC-JB1 at $37.71. I checked and there are 2 in Honda warehouse stock, so a dealer could have it in 2-3 days.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i was very sad to find out that i would be unable to title a cb1300 even if i forked over the cash to import one. i think this is the same for all bikes that are not sold in the US. it's some protectionist junk at play....
That is a correct statement. It has to be sold in the US.
 
SCCBrider_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i was very sad to find out that i would be unable to title a cb1300 even if i forked over the cash to import one. i think this is the same for all bikes that are not sold in the US. it's some protectionist junk at play....
That is a correct statement. It has to be sold in the US.
That is a correct statement. It has to be sold in the US.
You are not alone. Same thing here in Canada. I already went through this with no success.:-/
 
peterbaron_imp said:
SCCBrider_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i was very sad to find out that i would be unable to title a cb1300 even if i forked over the cash to import one. i think this is the same for all bikes that are not sold in the US. it's some protectionist junk at play....
That is a correct statement. It has to be sold in the US.
That is a correct statement. It has to be sold in the US.
You are not alone. Same thing here in Canada. I already went through this with no success.:-/
That is a correct statement. It has to be sold in the US.
You are not alone. Same thing here in Canada. I already went through this with no success.:-/
I had a good friend who tried to bring back his CB1300 with no success. The only way he figured he would be able to do it was to mail the parts back (take the bike apart) and reassemble it and title it as a custom bike, like any custom built bike.
Not sure if he ever did it.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Parts for the 2017 CB1100RS are available from any US Honda dealer. Parts are stocked at the regular stocking warehouses. Ordering the parts through a US dealer in-store means no shipping costs since they combine them with their regular orders. Partsfish shows Right Front Turn Signal 33400-MGC-JB1 at $37.71. I checked and there are 2 in Honda warehouse stock, so a dealer could have it in 2-3 days.
The above info needs to be clarified. I forgot that the non-US models had LED turn signals, hence the big difference in price. I was referring to the US model parts only. So out-of country suppliers are the only way to go.
 
Sorry if this has been covered already….
When I purchased the 1981 CB1100R(b) some years ago, it was ‘registered’ as a CB750…..
Clearly there’s pluses and negatives associated with this, but it is a start!
YMMV, and I sleep a bit better with it “insured”, and
…balancing our/own hormones And getting that plate of stress off my desk had a tremendous positive impact on my life, too
 
Wolff_imp said:
Sorry if this has been covered already….
When I purchased the 1981 CB1100R(b) some years ago, it was ‘registered’ as a CB750…..
Clearly there’s pluses and negatives associated with this, but it is a start!
YMMV, and I sleep a bit better with it “insured”, and
…balancing our/own hormones And getting that plate of stress off my desk had a tremendous positive impact on my life, too
I was aware of the tariffs on displacements from Japan over 700 cc, but how could this registration be?
 
If its the same rule for cars, maybe when the bike becomes 25 years old, it's fair game for importation. Like my friend who is now driving his Nissan Figaro over here.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
If its the same rule for cars, maybe when the bike becomes 25 years old, it's fair game for importation. Like my friend who is now driving his Nissan Figaro over here.
Ah ya. I didn't even think about the present.

My mind was - for the moment - stuck in the mid '80s. :dodgy:
 
Back
Top