I'm getting impatient.....

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have been anxiously waiting for the 2017 fiche to drop for the CB1100 so I can get a gander at that headlight assembly, but as of yet....no dice.
All of the other new 2017 models have gone live from what I can see, but not the CB.....grrrr.
 
Curious since I know nothing about led lights...what would be the advantage? different look? longer bulb life? brighter light?
 
Less power consumption will also have an effect, a slight one of course, in fuel consumption. Hopefully they will last a whole bike or car life. If not, not so good because
you have to change the whole headlight unit of e.g. my Prius 4, which will be very expensive. Not only a single light bulb. Maybe it is something different with a motorbike. Don't think so.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
It's nice to see that, BUT.....there isn't any pricing which is what I'm after. I'm also curious if the light unit will fit in my housing, or will I need to replace the entire unit to make it work? Then there is will it just plug in or is a plug change required?
 
I'm not sure that there is necessarily less power consumption. LED headlights often have huge heat sinks to dissipate the power caused by the series voltage-dropping resistance needed, because an LED will short-circuit if connected directly to battery voltage.

The voltage drop across an LED (light emitting diode) can range anywhere from 0.7V to around 1.5V I believe. The amount of light is more or less proportional to the current passing through the LED and its efficiency. Nevertheless, if the LED is drawing current at 1.5V for example, that same current is flowing through the series resistance that is dropping 12.3 to 12.5V (assuming 13.8 to 14.1V operating system voltage). Power = voltage * current so it's easy to see that the power wasted in the series resistance is far greater than the power converted into photons by the LED array. Some LED headlight modules not only incorporate massive metal heatsinks...many also include an actual electric fan to blow air over the heatsink for additional heat dissipation to the ambient air.

Now, maybe in an LED headlight array the diodes are connected in series and not in parallel. In that case, the wasted power would be much less. If there were four 1.5V LEDs in series for example, then the total drop across them would be 6V and the series resistance would only have to dissipate the wasted power from dropping 7.8 to 8.1V.

I think the main benefit of an LED headlight is much greater brightness, with the secondary benefit being virtually infinite life expectancy. No more having a headlamp burn out while out on a ride. A tertiary benefit might be that the bright white quality of the light is more effective than the dull yellow glow of an incandescent lamp.
 
The RS headlight assembly 33100-MGC-JB1 (rim and LED assy) and the headlight case 61301-MGC-JD0 retail for $1093 and $141 respectively.

I think my stock headlight is juuuussst fine.
 
If your main interest in an LED conversion is to see better at night, I'm tellin' ya folks...a simple $45 dollar LED bulb works wonderfully in our stock housing.
The common talk of improperly-scattered light does have merit with certain designs, but not this one. It's an absolute joy to ride with.

AdvMonster.com is for sale | HugeDomains
 
pekingduck_imp said:
The RS headlight assembly 33100-MGC-JB1 (rim and LED assy) and the headlight case 61301-MGC-JD0 retail for $1093 and $141 respectively.

I think my stock headlight is juuuussst fine.

Comparing pics with a 2014 breakdown, it might be possible to just swap the 'glass' itself- 33110-MGC-JB1

Not sure what the price difference is- but any savings is a good savings. :)
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
The RS headlight assembly 33100-MGC-JB1 (rim and LED assy) and the headlight case 61301-MGC-JD0 retail for $1093 and $141 respectively.

I think my stock headlight is juuuussst fine.

Comparing pics with a 2014 breakdown, it might be possible to just swap the 'glass' itself- 33110-MGC-JB1

Not sure what the price difference is- but any savings is a good savings. :)

Comparing pics with a 2014 breakdown, it might be possible to just swap the 'glass' itself- 33110-MGC-JB1

Not sure what the price difference is- but any savings is a good savings. :)
I got a quote from japan.webike.net:
HONDA OEM PARTS [33110-MGC-JB1] 703.73 USD

But this link shows it for way less at 532.56 Euros (~$580):
https://www.bike-parts.fr/tarif_h_new.php?op=tarif&reference=33110-MGC-JB1&bb=Chercher
 
Back
Top