Ikon shocks - great for a bad back

sanoke_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
In my youth, I spent summers working on a rail gang swinging a sledge hammer, then worked a number of years as an aircraft and auto mechanic. That has taken it's toll on my back now that I'm in my 60's.

Colorado has a lot of sunshine but this time of year it means we have temperature swings from the 50's (F) during the day down into the teens at night. That creates a lot of "frost heaves" on the back roads that I so love to ride. These are like mini speed bumps and for a person with a bad back, they can be quite uncomfortable.

I recently installed a set of Ikon 7610-1507 shocks on my 2013 CB1100. What a treat! I'm using the lowest settings on both the spring and the dampening and just loving the ride. I now can ride a number of the roads that I was avoiding because the frost heaves no longer give me grief!

So for anyone that thinks the CB1100 ride is a bit stiff, I'd strongly recommend installing a set of Ikon shocks.
 
Great to know. Thanks for the post! An upgrade to the suspension is on my short list of things to do. Have you considered changing out the springs up front and, if so, what have you decided on?
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Great to know. Thanks for the post! An upgrade to the suspension is on my short list of things to do. Have you considered changing out the springs up front and, if so, what have you decided on?
I'm content with the front suspension the way it is so I probably won't change out the springs. If I ever need to replace the seals then I might consider a set of progressive springs at that time.
Inline4_imp said:
How about a pic or two of those Ikons installed on your CB.
You KNOW we love pics!
Will do, sometime later today.
 
Thread starter
bc30059fbc826b07818061e069ebddba.jpg

Inline4_imp said:
How about a pic or two of those Ikons installed on your CB.
You KNOW we love pics!
Here you go.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Hey, what windscreen it that?
It's the original Plexifaring that I cut down a couple inches. Had it on a couple of my other bikes before this one. Works great for the winter months.
Capo_imp said:
Did you need to order CB- specific bushings for the shocks?
I specified the bike when I ordered the shocks so the bushings came with the shocks.
 
I am eagerly awaiting my Ikon shocks. They shipped Tuesday, so hopefully today. I got the chrome body with black springs. The all chrome looks nice. I like the look without the spring caps.

The adjustable damping is really what I am looking forward to trying. It should settle the rear end down on the bumpy corners. I suspect the bike will be able to carry a bit more speed.
 
Thanks!
OK, this thread, among others, got me to thinking: Just how long do you think the original shocks will last? They seem to be better than the shocks Honda put on their bikes back in the glory years of the CB.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Thanks!
OK, this thread, among others, got me to thinking: Just how long do you think the original shocks will last? They seem to be better than the shocks Honda put on their bikes back in the glory years of the CB.
I've put over 100,000 miles on a Yamaha, a Honda, and a Suzuki and never had any issues with the stock shocks. I'm guessing they will last as long as the rest of the bike does.
 
jmc1100_imp said:
Does Ikon make an aluminum body for our model? I'm assuming a chrome shock means a steel body....
Call Dave at Ikon (415) 738-9441 and find out or send an email through the website. I initially emailed some questions about spring rates and he called me within a couple hours. I seem to remember him mentioning that they can build a shock with custom spring rates and aluminum body. I've been wrong before, so best to get an answer from the source. When I placed my order online on a Sunday, Dave called that day to confirm my order and even refunded a few bucks for shipping. He is super responsive.
I got my shocks yesterday and installed them last night. There was one minor fitment issue. There was a minute amount of slop on the top mounts after tightening the bolts back. It probably was fine, but I stuck a rubber o-ring behind the shock eye and it's nice and tight without binding.

I rolled the bike off the center stand and was a bit worried about how soft it was. The softest preload setting was too squishy and I cranked it all the way up and dialed rebound to the 3rd click. A lot of the soft feeling is due to these being progressively wound springs. Went and rode this afternoon on the bumpiest roads and it is night and day better. The rear end is downright plush compared to before. The stock shocks are too stiffly sprung in my opinion.

Here's how the chrome body/black springs look:
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
sanoke_imp said:
bc30059fbc826b07818061e069ebddba.jpg

Inline4_imp said:
How about a pic or two of those Ikons installed on your CB.
You KNOW we love pics!
Here you go.
I wonder, how you mounted that suitcase to the rack? Looks cool. :thumbsup:
It's a soft sided equipment bag with lots of sections and works great for storing my gear. I cut a piece of plywood to fit in the end section of the bag and then ran bolts through the wood and anchored them in the luggage rack mount holes.
 
Back
Top