Ikon shocks for CB1100

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'd asked a few questions re Ikon shocks. I'm guessing there may not be much interest in this topic, due to lack of responses.

In the event there are a few of you who might want to read the brief but to-the-point response I received from Ikon, let me know and I'll copy and paste it to a post. It provides enough detail for me to proceed with them.

Bob
 
Sure let us know what Ikon had to say.

There are limited amount of forum members who have made rear shock changes, I'd guess less than a dozen in the 4 years the forum has existed. Some of those guys are no longer active so the knowledge pool is pretty small on that.
 
By all means please let us know what they said. Judging by your other post on this subject I take it that the loosening, bouncing, and re-torquing of the front suspension didn't yield satisfactory results. I know it didn't for me.
 
It would be good to know, ohiorider. I guess there's a moment when shocks where out and one has to make a decision about whether to stick with OEM or go aftermarket so the more information the better.
 
Thread starter
Here's Icon's response. Believe me, I'm not switching shocks because I want to throw $$ at the bike. I've got two others that really need some maintenance. I cannot believe I'm the only 160 pound rider of the CB that thinks it is sprung like a buckboard. But perhaps I am.
===========================================
Hello Bob,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding shocks for your 2014 Honda CB1100.

Apologies for any difficulty you've experienced in contacting us by 'phone; at the end of Summer 2016, Ikon Suspension USA relocated from the west coast to the east coast with a change of 'phone number which is now (814) 592-7003.
The website address remains unchanged at IkonSuspensionUSA.com

There are 3 different specifications of Ikon shocks available for the CB1100
i) Ikon Basix, oil damped ii) Ikon 7610 series dial-a-ride oil damped iii) Ikon 7614 series, dial-a-ride, oil and nitrogen damped.

The following prices are in US Dollars and are current as of May 2017.

The 76 series Basix (part# 76-1507) has 3 position adjustable pre-load (main spring) but no adjustable rebound damping.
Chrome body, black spring.
Cost $280.00/pr. plus $25 insured shipping.

The 7610 series (part# 7610-1507) has 3 position adjustable pre-load (main spring) and 4 position finger adjustable rebound damping called dial-a-ride. Briefly, rebound damping is the speed at which the shock returns to its original length after hitting a bump or dip in the road.
>Chrome body, black spring or Black body, black spring (add SP14 to the part number) Cost $ 420.00/pr. plus $25 shipping.
>Chrome body, chrome spring, chrome short top cap (add SP8 to the part number) Cost $580.00/pr. plus $25 shipping.

The 7614 series (part# 7614-1507) has a wide range of pre-load adjustment as the aluminum body is threaded, using locknuts to compress the main spring to adjust it's pre-load. This oil/nitrogen damped shock also has dial-a-ride and is very popular with racers. Available with either a black or red powder coated spring.
Cost $ 600.00/pr. plus $25 shipping.

We have a range of chrome or black spring covers either 30mm or 70mm long which will fit the above shocks. Priced at $ 50.00 per pair, we can install them on shocks prior to shipping. Top covers serve no function other than styling.

Specifications:
Ikon shocks to suit the CB1100 measure 362mm or 14.25" long (center top eye to center lower clevis). Travel is 64mm or 2.52" All shocks come with a 12mths warranty. All Ikon shocks are completely re-buildable, so in effect, Ikon shocks are shocks for the life of the bike.

Springs:
The 76, 7610, 7614 series Ikon shocks use a 250mm long spring of which there are 2 spring rate options available. The first option, with an 8mm wire diameter, is rated at 19-42 N/mm (106-235 Lbs/inch) suitable for riders weighing in the 175-250+ weight range, the other with a lighter 7.5mm wire diameter, is rated at 15-28 N/mm (84/157 Lbs/inch) suitable for riders under 175lbs.
Our website (presently on the cusp of a major overhaul) does not presently offer spring rate options. Customers are welcome to contact us by email: Hello@IkonAmerica.com or call their order in on (814) 592-7003 and we will 'spring' their shock to suit their curbside rider/passenger/luggage weight at no extra charge.
Buying a pair of Ikons is like buying a tailor made suit, rather than one off the peg. They always 'fit' the rider better.

I believe I've answered all of your questions regarding Ikon shocks for the CB1100 but I always invite questions (and orders!) from forum members.

Enjoy the improved ride,
Roger

Ikon Distribution USA
531 East Pitt Street, Suite 210, Bedford, PA 15522 USA
call: (814) 592-7003
IkonSuspensionUSA.com
Hello@IkonAmerica.com
 
So it looks like they have 2 springs .... one that goes up to 157 pounds and one that covers from 106-235. If you are 160 plus gear you are going to have to use their spring that is rated to 235 pounds right? Or are you figuring to max out the lighter spring?
 
Hmmm maybe I read that wrong, its not rated for pounds of body weight it was rated at pounds per inch of compression of the spring, so it sounds like Ohiorider would go with the lighter weight spring.
 
suitable for riders weighing in the 175-250+ weight range, ....Buying a pair of Ikons is like buying a tailor made suit,


Holy crap- coming from a dirt bike background, that is impossible!! There is a massive amount of spring rate difference between that weight range. Makes me want to go nowhere near an Ikon shock...
 
I used IKON shocks on my old V7 Guzzi. 7610's if i recall correctly. They were an improvement on the originals. Nothing flash but definitely improved normal riding comfort (originals were quite harsh). For the CB i can't really comment. Hope this helps.
Keen to hear how you go if you do decide on the Ikons BTW.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
suitable for riders weighing in the 175-250+ weight range, ....Buying a pair of Ikons is like buying a tailor made suit,


Holy crap- coming from a dirt bike background, that is impossible!! There is a massive amount of spring rate difference between that weight range. Makes me want to go nowhere near an Ikon shock...
And this is exactly the problem oem manufactures have with setting spring rates on a new motorcycle. If they set them up for a 135 pound rider they are too soft for a 235 pound rider and conversely setting them up for the 235 pound rider makes them too harsh for the 135 pound rider, so they compromise.

It's also why some riders find the shocks fine, some find them wallow and some find them too stiff.

interestingly every single magazine and video review I read on the CB said the shocks were very comfortable lol
 
I have IKON shocks and I love them. I put the OEM back on for a lil' while when I was going to sell my bike. And I didn't like it at all. Not selling the CB now, Ikon Back on and loving the ride again. I weigh around 190.
I don't know all the specs and what not. But I dig them for whatever it's worth.
 
I put Ikons on my Nighthawk 750. Ordered from Ikon rep who said, for my weight. Almost the same as stock Showas. Only Ohlins were truly better for me. I need the High Speed damping on horrible New England Roads. Low speed damping over swoopy bumps did improve somewhat with Ikons. I am 165 lbs with gear on. So most stock springs are too stiff. It is possible the lightest springs X 2 were still too stiff for me. I would expect with heavier riders there would be much more improvement in the ride. I will say this, I was very impressed with the stock SUZ TU250 shocks. Cheap but very impressive high speed damping.
 
Anyone feeling brave?

Ebay has a 20% (max of $50) coupon that ends tonight. So for fun, I've been looking around for anything I may want.

I've been looking at these shocks trying to find the best deal.

According to the Ikon website- our bikes share the same part # as several other bikes.

One of those bikes is the ZRX 1100 & 1200.

A seller in Germany has a set listed for the ZRX (no part # listed) but it should be the exact same shock as mentioned earlier-

Part# 7610-1507) has 3 position adjustable pre-load (main spring) and 4 position finger adjustable rebound damping called dial-a-ride. Chrome body, black spring Cost $ 420.00/pr. plus $25 shipping.

Here is the Ebay link- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stosdampfer...X-1200-ZRX-1200-R-S-ZR1200-A-B-/131707812167?

I don't speak German, but lower in his ad I see the Thruxton mentioned and that is also one of the bikes that Ikon lists as using the same part.

And the coupon code that ends tonight is P20MEMDAY to save $50.

If I was to buy them, the screen shows a conversion price of $367.95 minus the $50 coupon and about $50 to ship. So, roughly $367 VS the $445 if bought from Ikon here in the US.

Thoughts?
 
Google Translate says the text is as follows:

Quote:Product Information "Shock absorbers IKON Shock absorbers for Kawasaki ZRX 1200 ZRX 1200 R / S ZR1200 A / B"


Is a spring broken or the damper does not fulfill its purpose properly?

No problem!

We offer a set of high-quality IKON shock absorbers for your motorcycle so that it is back on the road as usual.

Technical specifications:

- Complete spring struts (spring + shock absorbers)
- by manufacturer IKON
- Standard version
- Set of 2 pieces tuned for the Triumph Thruxton 900

Delivery:

- 2x IKON shock absorber
 
i put a set of 7610's on my 13' cb1100 and could not believe the difference !!! very very satisfied.i weigh 215 and the first ride after i put them on, i could immediately tell the difference.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Anyone feeling brave?

Ebay has a 20% (max of $50) coupon that ends tonight. So for fun, I've been looking around for anything I may want.

I've been looking at these shocks trying to find the best deal.

According to the Ikon website- our bikes share the same part # as several other bikes.

One of those bikes is the ZRX 1100 & 1200.

A seller in Germany has a set listed for the ZRX (no part # listed) but it should be the exact same shock as mentioned earlier-

Part# 7610-1507) has 3 position adjustable pre-load (main spring) and 4 position finger adjustable rebound damping called dial-a-ride. Chrome body, black spring Cost $ 420.00/pr. plus $25 shipping.

Here is the Ebay link- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stosdampfer...X-1200-ZRX-1200-R-S-ZR1200-A-B-/131707812167?

I don't speak German, but lower in his ad I see the Thruxton mentioned and that is also one of the bikes that Ikon lists as using the same part.

And the coupon code that ends tonight is P20MEMDAY to save $50.

If I was to buy them, the screen shows a conversion price of $367.95 minus the $50 coupon and about $50 to ship. So, roughly $367 VS the $445 if bought from Ikon here in the US.

Thoughts?
Do you have e a link for the coupon?
 
IKON's in the rear and Race tech springs in the front = happy happy joy joy. I am going to do the Chip Beck handlebar switch, plus Rox adjustable riser this weekend, and I hope it solves my achy wrist problem.
 
Back
Top