Ignition Starter 2017 on 2013 Bike

cb1100_dude_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello,

Does anyone know if a 2017 ignition key starter will fit on a CB1100?

Looking to buy a new 2017 with matching gas cap so I can only use one key for my 2013 bike with the newer gas tank.


Thank you!

L
 
Thread starter
Not seeing any discernible difference in the parts sketches.
Is it possible that the key type is the only difference?
Does 2017 have the laser cut type of key?
 
Starting around 2015-2016, many Hondas went to the wave-cut or laser-cut style key. Africa Twins, CBR650F, VFR1200, CBR500R and CB1100. So the question becomes, will the ignition switch of a 2017 fit earlier models?
I should add that if you are ordering the 2017 switch set, the helmet/seat locks will not interchange, so you'd still have to carry a separate key.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Not seeing any discernible difference in the parts sketches.
Is it possible that the key type is the only difference?
Does 2017 have the laser cut type of key?
I think the housings are different. But what about the tumbler inside?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Not seeing any discernible difference in the parts sketches.
Is it possible that the key type is the only difference?
Does 2017 have the laser cut type of key?
I think the housings are different. But what about the tumbler inside?
Side by side very helpful!
 
cb1100_dude_imp said:
Hello,

Does anyone know if a 2017 ignition key starter will fit on a CB1100?

Looking to buy a new 2017 with matching gas cap so I can only use one key for my 2013 bike with the newer gas tank.


Thank you!

L
From the pics of '13 & '17, blank keys look different and have different part numbers. You may want to talk to your local locksmith and show him both key$.
He will have to play with pin tumblers and deal with : ignition cylinder, gas cap and seat lock, some limitations apply.
In automotive business, we use locksmith skills to fit an old key with new ignition switch ass-y/locks, so the customer still has the original keys that operate all locks/ign. switch ass-y...
Slim chance if the keys are different, check.
 
I just want my bike to read my bio-genetic signature and be off.

Chr*** it's 2019 and we still need cards, keys, ID, telephone numbers, ... and yet (for those who may have forgotten), that years ago the human species landed a space probe on a comet.
 
cb1100_dude_imp said:
Hello everyone,

I'll go ahead and order it and update this thread with any findings :D
If you already have a 2017 gas cap, and you are ordering just a 2017 ignition switch, you won't be able to get them keyed alike. And the seat lock will be a third key.

If you order the complete 2017 lock set, the seat lock won't work.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
cb1100_dude_imp said:
Hello everyone,

I'll go ahead and order it and update this thread with any findings :D
If you already have a 2017 gas cap, and you are ordering just a 2017 ignition switch, you won't be able to get them keyed alike. And the seat lock will be a third key.

If you order the complete 2017 lock set, the seat lock won't work.
If you already have a 2017 gas cap, and you are ordering just a 2017 ignition switch, you won't be able to get them keyed alike. And the seat lock will be a third key.

If you order the complete 2017 lock set, the seat lock won't work.
I ordered the key set so I'll have a matching gas cap and ignition... but you're absolutely right I'll still have to carry the other key for the seat lock. Not to mention I'm in the process of ordering the chic sport trunk from Takase-San.. 3 keys to rule them all? :dodgy:
 
Thread starter
Hey all -

Just closing the loop on this.

The ordered the parts - The ignition cylinder is a perfect fit/match and since it came with a matching gas cap and keys it works out perfectly.

The helmet lock that comes with is is absolutely different from the 2013 one so for anyone looking to convert - you'll still have to carry the old key to unlock your seat but at least it won't be as often as when you're refilling.

Hope this helps someone!
 
From my experience, HONDA has 2 types of ignition keys. Type "A" and "B".

Type "A" is the regular external-cut key and the new (2017) "wafer" design Type "B" is an inside-cut key, exactly as per Peter Baron picture.

There is no need for laser cut machine, only requires new equipment that can handle the cut.

When I bought my Top Case, I had to assemble the tumbler to match/fit my original keys which is an easy job,

If requested, I"ll email you the instructions which I got from a member a few years back.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
From my experience, HONDA has 2 types of ignition keys. Type "A" and "B".

Type "A" is the regular external-cut key and the new (2017) "wafer" design Type "B" is an inside-cut key, exactly as per Peter Baron picture.

There is no need for laser cut machine, only requires new equipment that can handle the cut.

When I bought my Top Case, I had to assemble the tumbler to match/fit my original keys which is an easy job,

If requested, I"ll email you the instructions which I got from a member a few years back.
Sorry, but Pekingduck can be credited for the key pictures, not me :)
:beerchug:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I just want my bike to read my bio-genetic signature and be off.

Chr*** it's 2019 and we still need cards, keys, ID, telephone numbers, ... and yet (for those who may have forgotten), that years ago the human species landed a space probe on a comet.
I've only gotta LOOK at my 'phone for it to start up!!

It's about time they were using eye-scanners on motorcycles at the very least, or personal pheromone scanners or summat...

All this key-carrying is so tiresome. ;)
 
Bazbro_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I just want my bike to read my bio-genetic signature and be off.

Chr*** it's 2019 and we still need cards, keys, ID, telephone numbers, ... and yet (for those who may have forgotten), that years ago the human species landed a space probe on a comet.
I've only gotta LOOK at my 'phone for it to start up!!

It's about time they were using eye-scanners on motorcycles at the very least, or personal pheromone scanners or summat...

All this key-carrying is so tiresome. ;)
I've only gotta LOOK at my 'phone for it to start up!!

It's about time they were using eye-scanners on motorcycles at the very least, or personal pheromone scanners or summat...

All this key-carrying is so tiresome. ;)
I'd be happy with voice recognition + PIN.
 
Back
Top