Apparently the GPS network has to reset its internal clock every 19.7 years and this weekend is the time. If you have a newer GPS, it should be OK, but older ones may malfunction. See this report.
Nice one Cormanus,i did not know this, in addition to that i would mention that gps time has no leap seconds because that would present a problem to time based networks like cellular networks who deal with accurate timeslots for data transfer over long distances.
So whilst we adjust for leap seconds to keep summer time in summer whilst the earth slows down the gps just keeps accurately ticking away and takes no notice, this causes the gps time and utc to present us with a time difference that increases with every leap second we adjust our clocks.
The satellites have more than one atomic clock on board and are being "trimmed" from earth to maintain step with the master atomic clock at n.i.s.t. in Boulder Colorado.
The difference was 0 seconds in 1980 but has increased to 18 seconds today.
just in case you want to adjust the time on your gps, which of course is not possible.
this page has four clocks on it at the bottom of the page that indicate the different systems and explains why;
Should be interesting to see what happens with the 20 yr. old Garmin GPS that I use in my plane (I can still buy map updates for it). I suspect it will be OK, as it survived the previous rollover back in 1999. I would be surprised that any GPS manufactured in the last 20 years would be affected.
I did have a mid 90s Magellan GPS that didn't survive the first date rollover.
My wife bought me a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps for Christmas. The first time we tried to update the maps it failed. It showed us living in a field instead of a new suburb. Spent a morning on the phone with the Garmin techs trying to update them. They finally gave up at lunch time. Good thing the call was at their expense.
Our next car had GPS. So the Garmin is somewhere in the storage area with a dead battery. I now use homemade maps printed from Google Maps.
I have a telescope I picked up in 2003 or there abouts with a built in GPS. Last used - last weekend! Guess I need to check it out. But I have never replaced the battery in her (several folks have had to). Got some TomToms I should test now too.
My 20 yr. old GPS survived just fine. All of my flying buddies were hoping that it wouldn't, so I would finally upgrade to 21st century navigation technology. Nope. The old reliable Garmin still does what I originally bought it for, so why replace it.