If you could have a 1974 CB750, would you?

BuffaloBill_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
If you own a CB1100 and found an extremely nice restored or original 1974 CB750 Four for a fair price, would you?

I'm at that stage where I have two bikes, love the riding, having a lot of fun, but my heart is still being pulled to the 1974 CB750...

I know this is my passion, but I'm just not sure it will just sit in my garage taking up space (which I don't have a lot of) with me starring at it and not riding it all that much.

Not sure if the old vs. the new technology (i.e. brakes, EFI etc.) will make the old pale in comparison to the new CB1100 in terms of riding time...?

I've never had three bikes at one time. I know some of you have many other bikes, perhaps even an early 70's CB750 or other classic bikes.

So I would love to hear your thoughts as to what you might consider doing. Have any of you been there done that?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Considering a 3rd Bike in Buffalo...

- Bill
 
Hi Bill:
I've pondered the same thing many times myself. I'm blessed with the good fortune of having six bikes now, and have been tempted to find a nice '76 like the one I used to own back in that time. I opted for the CB1100 instead, as I was always concerned that I would either end up having to pay a huge price for a really nice 1976 CB750, or would pay a lower price to get one and end up spending a fortune to bring it back up to "as-new" condition. Ultimately, I am a fan of the new machines, and hope the CB1100 will end up being the best of both worlds for me. That said, I still keep an eye open.....
 
Thread starter
sixbeans_imp said:
Hi Bill:
I've pondered the same thing many times myself. I'm blessed with the good fortune of having six bikes now, and have been tempted to find a nice '76 like the one I used to own back in that time. I opted for the CB1100 instead, as I was always concerned that I would either end up having to pay a huge price for a really nice 1976 CB750, or would pay a lower price to get one and end up spending a fortune to bring it back up to "as-new" condition. Ultimately, I am a fan of the new machines, and hope the CB1100 will end up being the best of both worlds for me. That said, I still keep an eye open.....
Thanks for the feedback! Are any of the six you have older classics, if so do you find you ride them much?
 
The oldest is a 2008 Honda VFR800 Interceptor. I guess I've decided to live in the present, and enjoy remembering the past. One of the magazine's test of the CB1100 acknowledged that today's technology (frames, engines, electronics) is much improved over 1970's era machines, and a trip "back in time" might not be as satisfying as our imagination/recollection. I suspect they may be right.
 
Like sixbeans, all of my bikes are modern, and I can ride any of them immediately, with the turn of a key.

But yes, I'd love to have a CB750. I have a place in my formal living room where it would fit perfectly. :D
 
:) Hi Bill, I happen to own an unrestored original K4 and after riding it yesterday will keep it in the stable. The color is flake sunrise orange and it is not a repaint. Everytime I fire up the bike I marvel at the engineering and that enduring motor. The motor just wants to pull and cruise once I'm on the road and I set compliments wherever I ride from fellow bikers. I've checked out the cb1100 at my dealer and Honda has really captured the essence of the 750 with with current technology.
However, having a running and complete K4 is really fun and puts the grin on my face because I'm riding something that is unique today. These K's are easy to work on and parts are plentiful using the internet. The sohc4forum is a wealth of information and people are really helpful.
So, really nice K bikes are out there, all you have to be is patient and keep looking and not buy the first one ou see. Good luck, Russ
Hi Bill:
I've pondered the same thing many times myself. I'm blessed with the good fortune of having six bikes now, and have been tempted to find a nice '76 like the one I used to own back in that time. I opted for the CB1100 instead, as I was always concerned that I would either end up having to pay a huge price for a really nice 1976 CB750, or would pay a lower price to get one and end up spending a fortune to bring it back up to "as-new" condition. Ultimately, I am a fan of the new machines, and hope the CB1100 will end up being the best of both worlds for me. That said, I still keep an eye open.....
[/QUOTE]
 
Here's what I consider my 'realistic' view of the classic CB750 and the other classic Honda fours. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and that the CB1100 is what delivered my change in thinking on this very subject.

Before I bought the CB1100, I flirted with the idea of several different Honda classics. I liked the 1969-76 CB750 a lot; I also liked the later Super Sport 750s from '75-'78. I also thought someday I'd like to have a '79 or '80 CBX six-cylinder in addition to the CB750. I also liked the CB550s and CB400s (4-cyl.). Now that I have the CB1100 I've realized that those bikes would just gather a lot of dust if I had them as there's no way they could ever hope to match the feel of this new 1100. Modern computer aided engineering has (in this case intentionally) produced a bike with some of the characteristics of the aforementioned classics, but with a lively, responsive feel that replaces the mostly inert and heavy feel the older fours had. Don't get me wrong, I still love the classic fours, but having ridden a few of them, they just aren't even in the same ballpark as this new 1100. As I tell anyone who asks -- or even those who don't ask -- it's the most sweet-natured bike I've ever ridden, but the sweet nature sometimes gives way to a naughty side if you want it to. It truly is a modern classic.

They way I look at it, spending $10k on this bike has saved me a lot of money I might've spent on older Hondas.

On the other hand, as related by cooldrum, if anyone thinks it would be cool to own any of the classics that inspired the CB1100, I would completely get that. And despite what I've said here, I still might end up with one myself. I just don't feel any particular hurry like I used to. :D
 
I currently own 8 bikes .. 4 of them are SOHC CB750s. 71-74 models. I've owned a 76 Supersport as well, but it was cafe'd out the ying-yang when I sold it. I love my old bikes, but you cant compare them to this new CB1100 ... well, I can offer this. Have you ever driven a classic Mustang? How bout one of these new retro Mustangs? The CB750 is ride through time .. and while they're easy to maintain, you better have a sense of turning wrenches or know someone who does.
 
Bonafide_imp said:
I currently own 8 bikes .. 4 of them are SOHC CB750s. 71-74 models. I've owned a 76 Supersport as well, but it was cafe'd out the ying-yang when I sold it. I love my old bikes, but you cant compare them to this new CB1100 ... well, I can offer this. Have you ever driven a classic Mustang? How bout one of these new retro Mustangs? The CB750 is ride through time .. and while they're easy to maintain, you better have a sense of turning wrenches or know someone who does.
+1. I should have mentioned that in my reply. While an old Honda can be made into a reliable bike -- it's a Honda, after all -- any 30 to 40 year old machine will be more maintenance and repair intensive than the new 1100. I simply don't have time for that right now. I guess when I retire would be a better time to pick up an old CB -- something to do over the long winter.

I liked the comment about the old vs. new Mustang. I know a woman who would just love to buy an old 1st generation Mustang. I've told her more than once to go buy a lightly used Mustang GT for about the same money. I tell her that an old Mustang would seem like a creaky old coal-cart with no brakes compared to a new one. But she's in love with the style of the old one and logic plays no part in her thinking. And that's fine too. Myself, I'm a little too fussy about how things work to put up with sub-par function.
 
If money is not an issue in the case of such a purchase, I'd say to give it some serious consideration, with a few thoughts in mind...

You'll no doubt spend some time working on the old bike, but as far as I'm concerned, that is part of the fun and part of the true ownership experience. The beauty of it is, you have a brand new bike to ride while the old one sits, waiting on a part, or for some of your dedicated time.

Knowing how to rebuild and sync carburators is slowly becoming a lost art. When the kid down the block picks up an older bike as his or her first, there might not be anyone else around with fresh experience in this area to help them out. ;)

Riding an older bike is satisfying in a different way. It's a true time warp as opposed to the CB1100, which picks up on the older styling, but with the benefits of today's advanced engineering and manufacturing standards. Each one will more than likely make you appreciate the other in ways you might not have expected.

Finally, if you do end up buying a clean older example and end up deciding it's not for you, you shouldn't end up losing any money on it. Unless you end up sinking a bunch into parts — in which case you probably will end up losing a bit on in the short term. But at least you will have done your part to help with keeping a beautiful classic in circulation.
 
I currently have 6 bikes. 4 of which are in perfect running condition. I love old SOHC CB750s. My first ride on one in which I swapped my CB350 for 10 miles of highway riding was a revelation about 'what I was missing' back then but I could not afford to have one. Last year someone had a perfectly restored 76 750 SS. He was asking a bit: $4700, but for the money it would have almost been like buying a new one off the floor. The primary chain and crank were the only things that I didn't hear about getting checked, rebuild or replaced. I thought hard about it but then got realistic about my time. I wouldn't have time right now to maintain it. As it is my XS650 is sitting with clogged carbs, no time to clean them. My Blackbird still has a new stator in a box waiting to be installed, no time to install it. My Fury which is running fine, is 500 miles overdue for me to check and set the valves. I could not adopt another bike that's waiting for me to retire so that I can tend to it properly.. Then the news came about the CB1100 being brought to the US. New air-cooled Honda inline 4 standard. That's for me !

If you have the time/resources for an old CB750.. I say do it ! you'll be living my (retirement time) dream.

Any of the K models in metallic orange.. that's my dream bike !
 
BufffaloBill, my experience says go for it. I'm in a similar situation as you mention: my 'retirement' preparation is to purchase and / or restore the displacement range of non-water cooled Honda DOHC inline four standard CBs (the modern 1100, and the 1980s 750, 900, 1100, possibly a Bol D'Or if I can locate one, maybe a Nighthawk 750, may not get them all but at least that is the idea). I currently own a 1980 CB750F and it is not collecting dust now that I've purchased the new CB1100. I find that the two bikes are different but riding the older bike is still very enjoyable and is even preferred, depending on the ride planned (see my CB1100 compared to 1980 CB750F). I'll admit that for longer rides I now choose the newer bike, mostly because a long-distance tow back home is an expensive proposition if the older bike has a problem. Also, the older bike may be fun for you if you get the opportunity to ride it to a vintage motorcycle get-together, such as are arranged by the [url=http://vjmc.org/]Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club. Good luck in your decision!
 
Gentlemen,

I currently have 7 motorcycles in my garage and they are like neck ties or shotguns in that you can have a whole rack of them but you can only use one at a time. Most of my bikes sit for long periods of time and older bikes have two Achilles heels. The first is batteries that are a constant PITA. Battery tenders help here but don't eleminate that problem. The next is carburetors, especially with today's 10% ethanol gasolines and AZ's hot dry weather. After a few months the gasoline in the float bowl dries out and the carbs need rebuilding or the bike won't run. So I either drain the gas tank and carbs completely and make the bike a display piece or it must be ridden regularly. I'm trying to get rid of every non-fuel injected vehicle I own. My fuel injected cars and bikes can sit for a year and with a good battery they start right up. No carbureted anything can sit for a year and then start. Syncing 4 carbs on an older CB750 is a dying art. I got rid of my old Bonneville with it's two carbs but I would consider a new one with FI. I would skip the old CB750 as a rider as the CB1100 is way more satisfying to ride for me. I have the nicest 100 point restored 1965 289 V-8 Mustang you have ever seen and it drives like it is brand new. That said, compared to my 2007 Shelby GT Mustang the old one sucks as a driver. I would probably be happier with just one bike that I loved and appreciated. Sometimes I think the more stuff I acquire the less I appreciate any of it. All the best bro.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

I currently have 7 motorcycles in my garage and they are like neck ties or shotguns in that you can have a whole rack of them but you can only use one at a time. Most of my bikes sit for long periods of time and older bikes have two Achilles heels. The first is batteries that are a constant PITA. Battery tenders help here but don't eleminate that problem. The next is carburetors, especially with today's 10% ethanol gasolines and AZ's hot dry weather. After a few months the gasoline in the float bowl dries out and the carbs need rebuilding or the bike won't run. So I either drain the gas tank and carbs completely and make the bike a display piece or it must be ridden regularly. I'm trying to get rid of every non-fuel injected vehicle I own. My fuel injected cars and bikes can sit for a year and with a good battery they start right up. No carbureted anything can sit for a year and then start. Syncing 4 carbs on an older CB750 is a dying art. I got rid of my old Bonneville with it's two carbs but I would consider a new one with FI. I would skip the old CB750 as a rider as the CB1100 is way more satisfying to ride for me. I have the nicest 100 point restored 1965 289 V-8 Mustang you have ever seen and it drives like it is brand new. That said, compared to my 2007 Shelby GT Mustang the old one sucks as a driver. I would probably be happier with just one bike that I loved and appreciated. Sometimes I think the more stuff I acquire the less I appreciate any of it. All the best bro.

Chip
Very wise and true indeed. Carbs and batteries are a pain. I recently sold a 2003 Mach 1 Mustang with such low mileage it was ridiculous. That will never happen again. If its worth having its worth using. I recently went to a local car museum in my town owned by a local car dealer. There was all kinds of cars in there from Model T's to Rolls Royces to a 56 Thunderbird and everything in between. The owner is 91 years old and the curator told me he was just apt to pop in at anytime and take one out for a drive. Thats the way it should be imo.

Fuel injection and electronic ignition is probably the best things that ever happened to the internal combustion engine. I would love to see your 65 Stang Chip because my first car was a 67 289 hardtop and I have never lost my lust for Mustangs. There is just something about them that I love and there seems to be no age barriers with them either.

Sorry to get off the beaten path a little but I could own a vintage bike it would have to be something I could use and not just sit and stare at. Just my 2 cents.
 
Back
Top