IF the site were to ever go silent...

Rboe_imp said:
Thinking out loud here; what if we contacted the service hosting this site; explain the owner was looking at discontinuing the site and has since gone dark - would it be possible to for a member to have the site ownership gracefully roll over to them?
As to this suggestion, this is still Guths site, and no one should go behind his back and try and obtain it.i would think the hosting site would not do this anyway until when/ if/ever Guth defaulted on hus renewal.
 
I do not believe that Guth would just drop us or abandon in an ugly manner = not Guth's style :exclamation:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I do not believe that Guth would just drop us or abandon in an ugly manner = not Guth's style :exclamation:
I reckon most Forum members are unable to appreciate what his life priorities right now.

As unfortunate as it could be, it might be selfish to put the Forum before life events.
 
May I suggest “would” as a substitute for “might”, GO?
 
I’m posting this here because this forum has been the incubator of relationships that thrive outside of the boundary of the worldwide web.

Last week, former CB1100 owner and semi-active Forum member, Memphis Mike, and his wife flew in for a quick Mimi-vacation to Chicago. I live close to O’Hare and offered to pick them up from the airport, take them to a new BBQ place a friend of mine owns, and “Uber” them to their hotel downtown.

Mike’s a bit of a BBQ expert so he enjoyed comparing Mel’s Craft BBQ to his own and he and Mel talked shop for a few minutes. He was pleasantly surprised by the quality of Mel’s “not-Memphis” brisket and ribs.

I gave him some recommendations for iconic Chicago eats like pizza, hot dogs, and beef sandwiches as well as a couple of cigar shops close to their hotel. He “tipped” his driver with three cigars and a couple of “Memphis Mike” stickers which are now proudly displayed in my garage.

We’re talking about him riding up here next summer to ride, eat, and smoke cigars. Or maybe me doing a SS1000 where I deliver a box of Mel’s BBQ to Mike in Memphis and he sends me home with a box from his favorite local joint. Neither would happen except for the existence of the CB1100 Forum

b476457ce73551b374a139db40f61151.jpg

d1011d8b7fd86ae2a79cd936836fcbcc.jpg

b39635a137a0f37aec4ec9eb745f0a1e.jpg

df8de301380c059e87689058d751a7bc.jpg

69ff7b1ef64f888b4e504be270b7d645.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great story, EmptySea. Thanks for sharing. I never forget that it was this forum that took me half way around the world to ride with CB1100 owners at the inaugural CB1100 Forum Rally. Or that it led to the remarkable In-house Bob making the trip from the USA to Australia to attend the only CB1100 Forum Rally Down Under.
 
That's Cool Sea. What's Memphis riding these days?

I have a pic of you and he here somewhere smoking stogies out front at the Ky rally.
 
‘Smoming’ a stogie? What is that? Or is it a question not safe to ask on a refined forum?
 
The ferret_imp said:
That's Cool Sea. What's Memphis riding these days?

I have a pic of you and he here somewhere smoking stogies out front at the Ky rally.
I think he still has a Wing and recently picked up a VFR800. I know the pic; one of my faves.
Cormanus_imp said:
‘Smoming’ a stogie? What is that? Or is it a question not safe to ask on a refined forum?
“Stogie” = “Cigar” in Yankee slang

The question prompted me to do a Google search on the word’s origins. Seems that the name is related to Conestoga, Pennsylvania where both tobacco was grown and Conestoga Wagons were built. “Stogie” was a name given to the driver of a Conestoga Wagon and somehow the name was further attributed to the rather roughly made cigars that they smoked.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
‘Smoming’ a stogie? What is that? Or is it a question not safe to ask on a refined forum?
Hey pal I fixed one of your typos the other day :dodgy:

:rofl:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
‘Smoming’ a stogie? What is that? Or is it a question not safe to ask on a refined forum?
Is the Canadian flank permitted to take this matter into their own hands and post comments...just asking? :P
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I’m posting this here because this forum has been the incubator of relationships that thrive outside of the boundary of the worldwide web.

Last week, former CB1100 owner and semi-active Forum member, Memphis Mike, and his wife flew in for a quick Mimi-vacation to Chicago. I live close to O’Hare and offered to pick them up from the airport, take them to a new BBQ place a friend of mine owns, and “Uber” them to their hotel downtown.

Mike’s a bit of a BBQ expert so he enjoyed comparing Mel’s Craft BBQ to his own and he and Mel talked shop for a few minutes. He was pleasantly surprised by the quality of Mel’s “not-Memphis” brisket and ribs.

I gave him some recommendations for iconic Chicago eats like pizza, hot dogs, and beef sandwiches as well as a couple of cigar shops close to their hotel. He “tipped” his driver with three cigars and a couple of “Memphis Mike” stickers which are now proudly displayed in my garage.

We’re talking about him riding up here next summer to ride, eat, and smoke cigars. Or maybe me doing a SS1000 where I deliver a box of Mel’s BBQ to Mike in Memphis and he sends me home with a box from his favorite local joint. Neither would happen except for the existence of the CB1100 Forum

b476457ce73551b374a139db40f61151.jpg

d1011d8b7fd86ae2a79cd936836fcbcc.jpg

b39635a137a0f37aec4ec9eb745f0a1e.jpg

df8de301380c059e87689058d751a7bc.jpg

69ff7b1ef64f888b4e504be270b7d645.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... awl, man. Yum.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
‘Smoming’ a stogie? What is that? Or is it a question not safe to ask on a refined forum?
Hey pal I fixed one of your typos the other day :dodgy:

:rofl:
Thank you. I appreciate it. ‘Smoming’ was such a great word, I couldn’t resist. :D

EmptySea_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That's Cool Sea. What's Memphis riding these days?

I have a pic of you and he here somewhere smoking stogies out front at the Ky rally.
I think he still has a Wing and recently picked up a VFR800. I know the pic; one of my faves.
Cormanus_imp said:
‘Smoming’ a stogie? What is that? Or is it a question not safe to ask on a refined forum?
“Stogie” = “Cigar” in Yankee slang

The question prompted me to do a Google search on the word’s origins. Seems that the name is related to Conestoga, Pennsylvania where both tobacco was grown and Conestoga Wagons were built. “Stogie” was a name given to the driver of a Conestoga Wagon and somehow the name was further attributed to the rather roughly made cigars that they smoked.
I was aware of that, but delighted I prompted you to look at its etymology. How do you pronounce stogie? Like ‘dodgy’? Or is it a long ‘o’ (as in bow that you use an arrow with). Hard ‘g’ as in ‘dog’? Or soft as in ‘gas’?


EmptySea_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That's Cool Sea. What's Memphis riding these days?

I have a pic of you and he here somewhere smoking stogies out front at the Ky rally.
I think he still has a Wing and recently picked up a VFR800. I know the pic; one of my faves.
Cormanus_imp said:
‘Smoming’ a stogie? What is that? Or is it a question not safe to ask on a refined forum?
“Stogie” = “Cigar” in Yankee slang

The question prompted me to do a Google search on the word’s origins. Seems that the name is related to Conestoga, Pennsylvania where both tobacco was grown and Conestoga Wagons were built. “Stogie” was a name given to the driver of a Conestoga Wagon and somehow the name was further attributed to the rather roughly made cigars that they smoked.
Again, thanks for that.
 
Rhymes with "Hoagie" Carmichael. Or Humphrey Bogart's nickname "Bogie" (One would have thought I could have come up with a reference less than 80 years old).
Umm which makes me an old fogey (which also rhymes with stogie, interestingly enough)
 
Excellent and enlightening! Thank you gentlemen.
 
Back
Top