IF the site were to ever go silent...

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Hello,

If you've been around the site, you already know that its future is uncertain and we've talked of ways to keep it going, facebook, alternatives, etc.

Yesterday, it was down for a few houirs and I thought that was maybe it. It occurred to me that one way for us to contact each other if the site were to really go silent would be to post things on ADVRIDER, whether for typical help on tech matters, or for everybody here to at least communicate with each other.

That would be ironic of course, because I think this site exists because people originally "met" at ADV and decided to create this site. But perhaps a number of forum members don't know about ADV.

So here's the link (or maybe it's one of them)

2013 + Honda CB1100

You might want to save it for easy access.
 
Good idea pdedse, but how many will spend 49$ just to get in touch ?
I saw a similar post here on the forum, a few months ago and a free membership site, but very little echo.
Anyway I will certainly keep the link. But let me inject a different “backup” thought. Whoever thinks he’d like to stay in touch, send an email (through our forum user CP), to either The Ferret, or Cormanus. And in that email tell them that you don’t mind they share the address will each other. And when the site goes down - I hope it doesn’t- Corm or Fer can ensure that we stay in touch.
Sure it adds a little workload to these 2 individuals, but only briefly.
Any thoughts?
 
Thread starter
The Gecko_imp said:
Good idea pdedse, but how many will spend 49$ just to get in touch ?
I saw a similar post here on the forum, a few months ago and a free membership site, but very little echo.
Anyway I will certainly keep the link. But let me inject a different “backup” thought. Whoever thinks he’d like to stay in touch, send an email (through our forum user CP), to either The Ferret, or Cormanus. And in that email tell them that you don’t mind they share the address will each other. And when the site goes down - I hope it doesn’t- Corm or Fer can ensure that we stay in touch.
Sure it adds a little workload to these 2 individuals, but only briefly.
Any thoughts?
Prolly no one will spend 49$...but the adv site has the free option. It works just fine w/out paying, you get the ads, but one can use add blockers...I don't find them all that intrusive.

I thought of the email to someone as well, but a few people have voiced concerns about giving out private emails.
The Gecko_imp said:
Good idea pdedse, but how many will spend 49$ just to get in touch ?
I saw a similar post here on the forum, a few months ago and a free membership site, but very little echo.
Anyway I will certainly keep the link. But let me inject a different “backup” thought. Whoever thinks he’d like to stay in touch, send an email (through our forum user CP), to either The Ferret, or Cormanus. And in that email tell them that you don’t mind they share the address will each other. And when the site goes down - I hope it doesn’t- Corm or Fer can ensure that we stay in touch.
Sure it adds a little workload to these 2 individuals, but only briefly.
Any thoughts?
Prolly no one will spend 49$...but the adv site has the free option. It works just fine w/out paying, you get the ads, but one can use add blockers...I don't find them all that intrusive.

I thought of the email to someone as well, but a few people have voiced concerns about giving out private emails.
 
Create either an alias to your existing email account (which can be blocked or erased if it gets misused),
or create a separate email address for just that purpose (same effects).
In any emails exchanged you use your forum member name. When used people will see and relate to this.
This way, the exact email address / domain is completely irrelevant.
It won't hurt, Mandy has signed up at advrider with her known pen name.
 
Thread starter
Good to know about alias email accts, but what is Ferrett or Cor supposed to do exactly with them? Create a group email whatever? Alert everybody to existing cb1100 facebook sites? Have they been asked if they want to receive dozens, hundreds even? emails to share with everbody?

A number of forums members here have expressed a dislike for facebook, so I think the adv site has what's needed to get questions answered, can be used as a go to if people know it's there. Hopefully, we won't have to do anything, but I think it's nice to know the adv page is there. I know I'll use it IF...
 
Posting the ADVRider link for emergencies was a good idea. Thanks pdedse.

I have only a vague idea about CB1100 pages on Facebook and am unlikely to migrate there if this forum vanishes.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Posting the ADVRider link for emergencies was a good idea. Thanks pdedse.

I have only a vague idea about CB1100 pages on Facebook and am unlikely to migrate there if this forum vanishes.
Ditto.

I'll give my fake email to Cormanus. :D
 
pdedse_imp said:
Good to know about alias email accts, but what is Ferrett or Cor supposed to do exactly with them? Create a group email whatever? Alert everybody to existing cb1100 facebook sites? Have they been asked if they want to receive dozens, hundreds even? emails to share with everbody?

A number of forums members here have expressed a dislike for facebook, so I think the adv site has what's needed to get questions answered, can be used as a go to if people know it's there. Hopefully, we won't have to do anything, but I think it's nice to know the adv page is there. I know I'll use it IF...
The absolute minimalist approach : C or F could keep the addresses, until somebody created a new forum site (or similar solution), then they could send an invitation to everybody who left his email address responding to this thread. This is better than moving to any scheme (advrider, facebook, or what else) without being able to contact them.
 
Thread starter
The Gecko_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Good to know about alias email accts, but what is Ferrett or Cor supposed to do exactly with them? Create a group email whatever? Alert everybody to existing cb1100 facebook sites? Have they been asked if they want to receive dozens, hundreds even? emails to share with everbody?

A number of forums members here have expressed a dislike for facebook, so I think the adv site has what's needed to get questions answered, can be used as a go to if people know it's there. Hopefully, we won't have to do anything, but I think it's nice to know the adv page is there. I know I'll use it IF...
The absolute minimalist approach : C or F could keep the addresses, until somebody created a new forum site (or similar solution), then they could send an invitation to everybody who left his email address responding to this thread. This is better than moving to any scheme (advrider, facebook, or what else) without being able to contact them.
Agreed; it would be better. I was actually going to suggest people send them to me, but hesitated because I didn't know if people would be keen on the idea. But think of adv as an interum...cb forums goes down, i've got a question needing an answer, and there it is...adv has wonderful people willing to help out with mechanics and such.
 
Today I tried three times to get on the site and got error messages every time.
Below is what came up. One time I logged in, but when I clicked on a post to read it, the error message came up again.
Is this just a "normal" glitch, or are we shutting down?

MyBB SQL Error

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
2005 - Unknown MySQL server host 'cb1100admin.ipowermysql.com' (0)
Query:
[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server

Please contact the MyBB Group for support.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
... maybe a feline furball got caught up in the server box power supply fan in the basement and the PC started to overheat a bit?
My cat fouled up mine too as I got the same message for a few attempts.
 
Happens every once in awhile
 
If the forum shuts down, I suspect you won’t get the SQL Error message. It’s more likely to be a blank screen or a browser message saying the server can’t be found or a redirect to a site wanting to sell you a domain name.

My faith that Guth would arrange a handover is fading. He’s not been on the site since July and I’d hope that, if he’d handed it over to another member—or arranged to—the latter member would have said something.

misterprofessionality, I recall you were trying to organize an alternative site. How’s that going?
 
If the server (assuming it is on a private site) is experiencing run-time trauma from time-to-time, then suddenly recovers, that seems to imply someone might be providing minimal maintenance. It could be even remotely managed by another individual on an "as need" basis.
 
Thinking out loud here; what if we contacted the service hosting this site; explain the owner was looking at discontinuing the site and has since gone dark - would it be possible to for a member to have the site ownership gracefully roll over to them?
 
Back
Top