If the CB1100 didn't exist

As above, it would be the R1200RT for touring or the KTM 1290 Super Duke for fun. Also possible for both needs is the 1290 Super Adventure.
 
Before I bought my first CB I was thinking about buying Harley's XR1200. I've liked them ever since I saw the first one at the 105th. celebration in 2008 in Milwaukee. I thought one would be perfect as a smaller, albeit fun, bike to keep in Florida. Fast forward to 2012, and I find they've been discontinued due to slow sales. I even half heartedly called around, and I visited a few dealers in Florida and Georgia looking for a used one and no dice... none to be had. Then in January 2013 I saw an article about the CB in Motorcyclist and was hooked... and there was no going back.
Pterodactyl_imp said:
And if the VFR 800 didn't exist then maybe a GSX1400. If the GSX didn't exist .........

Oh no. In the fortieth iteration I ended up with a Prius. Or was it a Road King? AAAARGH!!!!!!!

Cheers
Now, that's some spread... Prius? or Road King? 4 wheels or 2? Hmmm... :dodgy:
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Probably the FZ09. I wasn't married to the retro bike, but the CB struck a chord. So much so that I am willing to tolerate and spending lots of money to improve less than ideal ergos. I also know that other bikes would offer better performance, but the CB just does it for me.
I just realized that my answer greatly depends on when I was buying the bike. So, my previous answer was based on when I was originally in the market for a bike. There are now some other interesting bikes available or soon to be. The newly unveiled Yamaha XSR900 is interesting. I also like the Suzuki GSX-S1000F. The Kawi Ninja 1000 is very cool, too.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Before I bought my first CB I was thinking about buying Harley's XR1200. I've liked them ever since I saw the first one at the 105th. celebration in 2008 in Milwaukee. I thought one would be perfect as a smaller, albeit fun, bike to keep in Florida. Fast forward to 2012, and I find they've been discontinued due to slow sales. I even half heartedly called around, and I visited a few dealers in Florida and Georgia looking for a used one and no dice... none to be had. Then in January 2013 I saw an article about the CB in Motorcyclist and was hooked... and there was no going back.
Pterodactyl_imp said:
And if the VFR 800 didn't exist then maybe a GSX1400. If the GSX didn't exist .........

Oh no. In the fortieth iteration I ended up with a Prius. Or was it a Road King? AAAARGH!!!!!!!

Cheers
Now, that's some spread... Prius? or Road King? 4 wheels or 2? Hmmm... :dodgy:
Now, that's some spread... Prius? or Road King? 4 wheels or 2? Hmmm... :dodgy:
Ya got me mate. The fortieth iteration arrived in that area of brilliant, but sometimes confused, ideas that exists in an ill-defined zone between the first and second bottle of full bodied Hunter Valley Shiraz.

Cheers
 
Pete Erickson_imp said:
I have it. A 2009 Moto Guzzi v7 Classic.

If it was available, a Kawasaki W800 would be nice.
How do you like that Guzzi. I was looking at them but now that the CB is out. Not sure..
 
I would still have my Tuono, but if the CB1100 didn't exist I would perhaps be interested in the new Thruxton or a BMW R9T (although it's more than I'd want to spend). Maybe even a (low mileage) Duc Monster 1100 EVO; I've always loved that 2-valve, air-cooled twin.

This all goes back to why I love the CB so much. It's not the fastest bike or the most high tech, but it has the perfect blend of classic design, modern performance/technology, build quality, reliability, price etc. Plus it is also a great platform for customizing into a cafe racer if that's your style. The fact is I could have purchased the above bikes mentioned, but I chose to get the CB1100.
 
I'll chime in. I owned two V7 Classics. By far my favorite bikes in 40+ years of riding, but with limitations. Very fun, plenty of power unless you are not well endowed, very soulful, excellent handling, all sullied by a lousy US dealership situation. The CB is appliance-like by comparison but much more capable, worlds smoother, more stable, a bit roomier, and probably better built. It really depends on how you intend to use the bike. I suppose I could attempt a 600-mile day on my CB. On the V7, there's no way. But for a fun 200-300 mile day on twisty backroads, it's a revelation. Just plain FUN.
 
LoneRanger, you brought up a great point when you mention "It really depends on how you intend to use the bike."

My situation may be different from others. I use the CB as my daily commuter to work as well as running errands, local casual riding etc.

My Tuono is mainly for the weekends (though I ride it into work every Friday). It prefers to stretch it's legs on windy open roads/canyons; riding around downtown LA rush hour is like 95% clutch action, not fun at all.

As for long distance/touring rides, CB1100 for sure.

And I also agree with your comment above, the Tuono' s V4 engine has the most intense, raw and rough sound (like evil and angry). The CB's exhaust is way different but that's how l like my daily (and long distance) ride to be.
 
The guy who ended up with the Oldest Rider Award at the Datil New Mexico National Rally this past August rode down from the Seattle area on the new V7II. He's 80.

Stock seat, no windscreen, SMALL dry bag, after market rear shocks and rear sets.

He's also about 6-3 tall.

He's an animal. I also know he rides like a maniac with chicken strips half of mine (on his old Griso) and routinely scrapes things he shouldn't.

the bike will do 80-85 + all day.
 
I hope to be like the Datil guy. Good for him.

We had a three-time finisher of the Colorado Classic 1000 a few years ago (IBA SaddleSore 1000). He turned 80 on the weekend of his third consecutive finish. Gold Wing rider.
 
This fellow, for his last seven bikes, rode a Griso or a V7 (I know, odd combo) and typically owned each for about a year. Once he put on 10K he's look at trading off.

What I found remarkable, he would do long distance on the Griso using the stock seat and no windscreen. I find the stock Griso seat a torture device.

Tough ol' coot and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. JN Smyth was the previous ol' coot at 92, died this year and he ended riding a Wing (towing a camping trailer no less) the last few years. It would be pretty cool to be able to ride into ones '90's.
 
592f86bc9a39cf04e42dafd369513ccd.jpg


6664c4ff6d774a540e1a0b94d89b8251.jpg


4b8845b1be97f01bb6867bb9ac642aa9.jpg


00a65bc0328d7f8e7bac6134f0ac101e.jpg


f45df22509172363fcd5afc82c39d3bf.jpg


 
After a year with my CTX700, and doing simple, local rides in my area, I've been getting the itch to "go back on the road", do some longer distance rides that I enjoy so much.

Before discovering the CB1100 on Youtube, I was seriously leaning towards the new HD Dyna Wide Glide. I'm an old 1960's guy that has always loved choppers and the WG is the only thing out there that rang my bell.

Of course, once I uncovered this hidden gem, all thoughts of anything else went out the window. After having the 1975 CB550 Four, and my love affair with the CB750 of years past, this bike grabbed me.

I've not ridden one yet... But that may change, soon.
 
I chose my CB 1100 at the Birminham (UK) bike show in November 2014. I've now done 9000 miles and still love the bike. I went back the the show last month keen to see the Triumph 120 and the Truxton R. I'm pleased to say I left the show with the CB1100 as my first choice of bike. I have a problem with the new Triumphs (not good for a Brit) and I'll start a thread to discuss it.
 
Django_imp said:
Mmmm...this! If only they were sold here. Sigh.

I do have my eye on the new Triumph T120 now, though. I attended one of the sneak previews, and they seem to have addressed all the complaints I had about mine: more power, upgraded suspension, and incredible attention to detail and build quality. Can't wait to ride one.

Oddly enough, I've continuously had a Yamaha FZ6R on my mind for about three years now. I come from a long line of sportbikes, and my last "sporty" bike before the CB11 was an FZ1 which I liked a lot, but I just can't fold myself up on to a full-on sportbike anymore. The FZ6 is much more upright with more legroom, yet still looks the part, has a fairing (which I really prefer), and is an inline four (really my true motorcycle engine preference overall). My only concern is the power now - not that I ride like a maniac, but I do occasionally like to feel that sweet surge of power when twisting the throttle.
 
I think my choice would have to be the BMW R9T. A naked bike with good engine and loads of opportunity to customise. I might even have bought one but for the long delivery times last year.
 
Back
Top