If my 599 and Sportster had a Love Child

The straight skinny on shafts vs chains

Shafts are pretty much maintenance free. You do need to change the rear end oil every once in awhile, lube the splines in the final drive with some moly paste, but it really is a good system if all you are going to do is ride. A shaft is more expensive to produce, it's heavier and less efficient than a chain drive system, and there is no way to alter gearing if it doesn't suit you. There are cases of final drive failures and universal joint failures but they are pretty rare.

A chain drive does require periodic adjustment and lubrication. The x and o ring chains on todays bikes are far superior to chains of old. They will frequently go 6-7-8000 miles between adjustments, and will last 20-30,000 miles. A chain adjustment and lubrication is a 5 minute job. They are lighter, than a shaft, are more efficient in transferring power than a shaft ( if lubricated and adjusted properly) you can alter gearing, and fairly easy to replace when it does need replacement.

In the end a chain drive system is not the burden it used to be, and not much of an issue really, even for those of us that ride a lot, or far from home, but if maintenance is a primary concern IMO a shaft will have less maintenance overall than a chain drive system.
 
In my opinion the best of all is a belt. Honestly the shaft was great when the chains were trouble but the disadvantage is the drive snatch that occurs because of the direct connection. I am talking about what happens when you let off and go onto the gas. The slight "play" in a chain or belt makes for smoother transitions.

It's not a big deal one to the other in todays world but my personal pick is the belt. Something that Harley did get right.
 
Thread starter
Agree with you there on the belt. I really like the simplicity of the belt drive on my Sportster. Not sure if you were the one that posted, but yes my Sportster is rubber mounted and also fuel injected. Also has the self-cancelling turn signals. Funny that my HD is higher-tech than my Honda! (OK, ok, so it has pushrods.) The rear suspension on the Sportster is just terrible. I feel every little bump, ones that the 599 would just easily absorb, and I don't see the 599 as having a luxury suspension. There are upgrades available that supposedly help.

One thing that a lot of people probably like, which I don't necessarily care for on the CB1100 is the chrome fenders. Has anyone painted theres? Also, are there "fender eliminators" for the rear? Or any mods that would clean up the rear somewhat?
 
I outgrew the Shadow wayyyyyy quicker than I thought I would. The puny engine made me lose interest in the bike long before I ever would have needed to maintain a chain (assuming I had a Shadow RS and not the Aero, which is of course shaft-driven like all of the non-RS Shadows).

I do also like the ability to change the rear gearing with chain drive. What you see is what you get with shaft-drive.

To me I suppose the bike itself is more important than how it transmits that power to the wheel. Shafts seem to work well for BMW.

As far as the fenders go, there are plenty of mod options on samurider.com and others. You can also go ACK's way and do the White House conversion on it, turning it into a totally different bike. Sky's the limit. A number of people on here are removing the cluster of reflectors holding the license plate.
EatChikeen_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
I'm with Cormanus on coming from a Shadow 750. The CB1100 has amazed me from my first time riding it and continues to do so. Wicked faster than the Shadow off the line through the entire RPM band and super light on its feet. It's comfortable, easier to move in the garage, gets nearly as good gas mileage. Plus, being a Honda, it's no doubt going to spend less time being worked on than the HD. Fantastic bike.

I bought mine having never ridden one. I knew it was perfect the moment I saw it on Honda's website =]
I am about to choose a bike for myself and Im debating between CB1100DLX and Shadow Spirit ABS. Overall CB1100 outstands in many aspects. But the maintenance issue with chain final drive concerns me when Honda web page for Shadow Spirit emphasizes on the fact that it's got virtually maintenance free shaft drive. I see that you traded in your shadow for the CB1100 but does the chain final drive cause more hassles than the shaft drive significantly from your experience? Help me on this, gentlemen!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am about to choose a bike for myself and Im debating between CB1100DLX and Shadow Spirit ABS. Overall CB1100 outstands in many aspects. But the maintenance issue with chain final drive concerns me when Honda web page for Shadow Spirit emphasizes on the fact that it's got virtually maintenance free shaft drive.
There is no comparing the two bikes, honestly. Only thing they share in common is Honda build quality. It's disturbing how similar in price the two are; If the Shadow is an $8299 bike then the CB should be $16k. Don't tell Honda I said that. You get tremendously "more" motorcycle for your money with the CB. The Shadow is a great looking cruiser, and they advertise it like it's adequately sized, but it really falls short of expectation. For example, the engine would peg out at 90 on the highway (which translates to 'revs way to high' at cruising speeds). The CB1100 sits around 4K RPM at 70, and is much more comfortable for cruising than the cruiser is!
 
I'm with Shdghst on this:

shdwghst457_imp said:
I outgrew the Shadow wayyyyyy quicker than I thought I would. The puny engine made me lose interest in the bike long before I ever would have needed to maintain a chain (assuming I had a Shadow RS and not the Aero, which is of course shaft-driven like all of the non-RS Shadows).

I do also like the ability to change the rear gearing with chain drive. What you see is what you get with shaft-drive.

To me I suppose the bike itself is more important than how it transmits that power to the wheel. Shafts seem to work well for BMW.

As far as the fenders go, there are plenty of mod options on samurider.com and others. You can also go ACK's way and do the White House conversion on it, turning it into a totally different bike. Sky's the limit. A number of people on here are removing the cluster of reflectors holding the license plate.
EatChikeen_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
I'm with Cormanus on coming from a Shadow 750. The CB1100 has amazed me from my first time riding it and continues to do so. Wicked faster than the Shadow off the line through the entire RPM band and super light on its feet. It's comfortable, easier to move in the garage, gets nearly as good gas mileage. Plus, being a Honda, it's no doubt going to spend less time being worked on than the HD. Fantastic bike.

I bought mine having never ridden one. I knew it was perfect the moment I saw it on Honda's website =]
I am about to choose a bike for myself and Im debating between CB1100DLX and Shadow Spirit ABS. Overall CB1100 outstands in many aspects. But the maintenance issue with chain final drive concerns me when Honda web page for Shadow Spirit emphasizes on the fact that it's got virtually maintenance free shaft drive. I see that you traded in your shadow for the CB1100 but does the chain final drive cause more hassles than the shaft drive significantly from your experience? Help me on this, gentlemen!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am about to choose a bike for myself and Im debating between CB1100DLX and Shadow Spirit ABS. Overall CB1100 outstands in many aspects. But the maintenance issue with chain final drive concerns me when Honda web page for Shadow Spirit emphasizes on the fact that it's got virtually maintenance free shaft drive.
There is no comparing the two bikes, honestly. Only thing they share in common is Honda build quality. It's disturbing how similar in price the two are; If the Shadow is an $8299 bike then the CB should be $16k. Don't tell Honda I said that. You get tremendously "more" motorcycle for your money with the CB. The Shadow is a great looking cruiser, and they advertise it like it's adequately sized, but it really falls short of expectation. For example, the engine would peg out at 90 on the highway (which translates to 'revs way to high' at cruising speeds). The CB1100 sits around 4K RPM at 70, and is much more comfortable for cruising than the cruiser is!
I liked the shaft drive on the Shadow because I didn't have to worry about maintaining it—and maintenance is not something that lights me up—but, for me, it was not a consideration at all when it came to changing bikes. The CB1100 was so much more the style of bike I wanted to be riding that I didn't give the chain a thought. The maintenance burden is not great.

If I'd wanted a cruiser, I would probably have kept the Shadow. Sdwghst is right again: it's not big on power, but it was quite powerful enough for my needs. My reasons for changing were emotional not logical. I wanted a bike that looked like the road bikes of my riding youth. I had always wanted an in-line four and the CB1100 pressed all those buttons. I have no regrets at all. For all my needs it is a superior bike to the Shadow.

But if your heart leads you to a cruiser, don't buy a CB1100.
 
Thread starter
Well there's definitely a rear delete. Not sure what I think yet.



An another note, I'm really liking the blacked out looks of the non-DLX 2014.
 
Thank you guys so much for your help! Just like Cormanus mentioned, this is a fight between the left brain and the right brain! Thanks guys again!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
In my opinion the best of all is a belt. Honestly the shaft was great when the chains were trouble but the disadvantage is the drive snatch that occurs because of the direct connection. I am talking about what happens when you let off and go onto the gas. The slight "play" in a chain or belt makes for smoother transitions.

It's not a big deal one to the other in todays world but my personal pick is the belt. Something that Harley did get right.
I agree with juliancates and Bubblerboy on the belt vs. chain. And Ferret is right too in that today's chains don't require much maintenance. The difference is that belts require NO maintenance. If the CB had a belt (and I get why it doesn't) it would be even better than perfect. Seriously, if you could keep all 3, you'd not be disappointed as they are all different. If it were me, I'd keep 3...one of them the CB, another bike set up for long distance touring (with a belt and bags..), and an adventure dual sport bike. Then you'd have it all! Good luck with your decision.
 
It's simple if you buy the CB you will sell both your other bikes :) I have had them all. This CB is the best bike I have ever owned
Michael
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
It's simple if you buy the CB you will sell both your other bikes :) I have had them all. This CB is the best bike I have ever owned
Michael
More and more I'm coming to the same conclusion. It just seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for in a bike right now.

Now to figure out WHICH one I want. There are some great deals on both leftover and slightly used '13s. I see a zero mile 13 for $8200 near me, and there are some tantalizing options here in the classifieds. Local dealer has a 700 mile demo 13 that they would sell, no idea on price but probably attractive.

Then there's the 14's. I'm not really interested in the DLX, but I very much like the looks of the black standard. Plus, all the 14 goodies. But is it worth $2k-$3k more? Hmm...
 
If you don't plan on this being your last motorcycle... Then down the road, will a used 14 with 6 speed and upgraded instruments be worth more, or be more attractive than a used 13 with a 5 speed? If so, what is the real difference is cost today on the two models?

Personally I have never been good at looking down the road ( but some people do). I generally buy what appeals to me right now.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
If you don't plan on this being your last motorcycle... Then down the road, will a used 14 with 6 speed and upgraded instruments be worth more, or be more attractive than a used 13 with a 5 speed? If so, what is the real difference is cost today on the two models?

Personally I have never been good at looking down the road ( but some people do). I generally buy what appeals to me right now.
That's a good point, and I also never give much thought to the resale value and actual cost of ownership. I'm usually more focused on acquisition costs and what it's going to take RIGHT NOW to get that bike in my garage.
 
juliancates_imp said:
Ridem32_imp said:
It's simple if you buy the CB you will sell both your other bikes :) I have had them all. This CB is the best bike I have ever owned
Michael
More and more I'm coming to the same conclusion. It just seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for in a bike right now.

Now to figure out WHICH one I want. There are some great deals on both leftover and slightly used '13s. I see a zero mile 13 for $8200 near me, and there are some tantalizing options here in the classifieds. Local dealer has a 700 mile demo 13 that they would sell, no idea on price but probably attractive.

Then there's the 14's. I'm not really interested in the DLX, but I very much like the looks of the black standard. Plus, all the 14 goodies. But is it worth $2k-$3k more? Hmm...
Remind the dealer that that demo bike has more miles than some bikes I've seen for sale as used, and offer him 6500 for it! Also, see if it already had the 600 mile maintenance done, and make sure it was done thoroughly. I could see a dealer doing the bare minimum for a demo bike.

If you're a highway rider then the 6th gear might be enticing on the 2014. What's the general consensus as to what RPM the 14 is doing at 70MPH in 6th? It's 4K in 5th on the 2013 (I believe this is true for the 2014, as I believe the ratios are the same for first through fifth).
The ferret_imp said:
If you don't plan on this being your last motorcycle... Then down the road, will a used 14 with 6 speed and upgraded instruments be worth more, or be more attractive than a used 13 with a 5 speed? If so, what is the real difference is cost today on the two models?

Personally I have never been good at looking down the road ( but some people do). I generally buy what appeals to me right now.
As riders we should ALWAYS be looking down the road :biker:
 
You are on the right track. I had a couple Sportsters, a 1200 Sport and 883. Had quite a few 600-class I4s, too. The CB is about the same weight as a Sporty but a totally different ride. Big, smooth, torquey power, very refined compared to the Harley. Real rideable.
 
Thread starter
I must admit that I find myself also looking at the Triumph Bonneville. I'd love to see a comparo between the 2014 CB1100 standard and the Bonnie T100 Black. Anybody had both, or do a serious comparison before buying?
 
I have a '13 CB and two modern Bonnies. I know these bikes compete in the same market segment, and on specs, the CB wins handily. But I still love the Bonneville for it's nimble handling, vintage style and characterful engine. The Britishness of the bike lends it a very different character than the CB. And the customization potential is far greater, and at a more reasonable cost, than the CB. The Honda is the 'better' bike. But that doesn't make it better for everyone. Try them both, buy what you like best.
 
I have previous experience with a GSXR 750, a CBR 929rr, and a sportster. The plastibikes were from my distant past and the sportster was more recent. I don't have the self control or talent for crotch rockets, so when I started shopping for bikes again last year I immediately started looking at stuff like the Fat Bob, night rod, and other cruisers. I eventually found that I didn't want to pay for a Harley and broadened my horizons a little. I ended up with a CB1100 because I felt like it was forgiving enough for someone just getting back on 2 wheels after a hiatus yet still offered enough in the way of challenge and excitement to stay interesting for a while. It's comfortable enough for a moderate commute (I do 80 miles round trip), especially after a seat upgrade and a windshield, but I don't think I'd ever do a 1000 mile day. Not that this bike was intended for that.

If an R6 is a scalpel and a road king were an 8lb maul, I'd consider the CB to be a 24oz ball peen.

I personally found the stock seat uncomfortable after about 20 miles. 40 miles was about my breaking point. The stock suspension is a little harsh, but significantly more forgiving than the sportster I've spent time on. My wife is comfortable on the upgraded pillion for about 40 miles, but after that she needs a stretch, but that's mostly because of the cramped pillion ergonomics. I think I could use about a 1" up and back bar riser. I'm 6' with a 6'-2" wing span and the amount of lean is either too little or too much. It's right in the uncomfortable spot for me and my back pays for it. Modifications and cargo options aren't a strength for the CB, but there's enough out there, for my tastes, if you look hard enough. If you need a seat, another member on here had good experience with Laam Custom Seats and my experience reflects his exactly. I got my seat back this weekend and did about 300 miles between Friday and Saturday. At the 40 mile mark my riding partner on his road king with deep sundowner saddle was having to stop. I was good to keep going.

I bought my CB on 3/1/14. 2 months and 3 days later, I'm still happy with the purchase, but I'm already looking at the future. If I were more comfortable on 2 wheels, I probably would have skipped the CB and went straight to a sport tourer, but things being as they are, I needed a more friendly platform to start with. This time next year I could be on a Triumph Trophy SE.
 
Back
Top