If my 599 and Sportster had a Love Child

juliancates_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi guys, new guy here. I don't have a CB1100, but I'm considering one, and hoped I might run a few things by you.

I currently own and ride two motorcycles, a 2006 Honda 599 and a 2008 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom. They are very different, and I like them both for what they are.

I'd really like to have ONE motorcycle in my garage that splits the difference between these two, or at least incorporates some of my favorite things about each. Could it be that the CB1100 fits the bill?

Here's what I like about each:

599:

Sporty looking
Fast. Tons of power - although at the high RPM range
Great suspension and excellent handling
Naked
Riding position is almost upright, not crouched like a crotch rocket
Great brakes

Sportster:

Lots of low end torque
Simple air-cooled engine
Low maintenance belt drive
No-maintenance hydraulic lifters
Easier than the 599 on the highway at speed
Not the best handler, but fun even at low speeds

Basically, I want a commuter, that's fun to ride at slow speed cruising, on the highway, and in the twisties . I don't expect sportbike type handling, but nimble handling is a plus. I'd like something with low end power that I don't have to rev to 13k to wring all the power out.

I'm also looking at the Honda CTX700N. I've sat on both, and appreciate the ergonomics of both. I haven't taken either out for a test drive yet. Long story, I wanted to try them at the Spring Launch event today, but couldn't. I've been riding for about a year and haven't gotten around to upgrading from "Learner's Permit" to full endorsement. Time to go do that... Anyway, I'm not sure the 700 will have the type of power I'm used to.

I know that only I can tell if it's the right bike for me. But until I get around to getting the full endorsement in the coming weeks so I can take a dang test ride, humor me will you? What do you think, will the CB1100 meet the expectations I've set out for it?

Cheers!

Julian
 
I've tried that. I now have three bikes. :P

The CB has lots of torque, runs smoothly, very good in the tight twisties and I'm finding out, once broke in fairly well, has some top end grunt. While I like the engine, the torquey V twins (I have the Griso) speak to a different part of my personality that the Inline Fours do not.

So my advise, and worth every cent, is have three or more bikes. :excited:
 
I'd tend to agree with Rboe. If you can only have one bike for whatever reason, then the CB is probably a pretty good compromise (though I'd guess the riding experience is somewhat closer to the 599 than it is to the Sportster). But if circumstances allow you to have more than one bike, I think it's best to have a mix of different "personalities."
 
Thread starter
Thanks!

I took up riding when I finally admitted that racing cars was too expensive. I sold all of my racing stuff and wound up (after a brief stint on a "starter" bike) with the 599. It scratched many of the same itches... but just begged to be wrung out, as it was a different beast altogether in the upper RPM range. I found myself browsing leathers and trying to figure out who put on the local track days. Not exactly what I had hoped to accomplish, and not the kind of riding I really want to be doing on the street. So looking for something that would be fun when ridden at less than 9/10, I picked up the HD. I have a lot of fun riding that at a more appropriate pace, but wish it was just a bit more nimble. I do still want to enjoy the occasional twisty road. One thing I like about the Sportster is that the power is available early, and it doesn't beg to be pushed hard like the 599.

The 599 is the devil's temptress, and has to go. Absolutely love it, but I dig having a driver's license too. I don't want to be left with just the Sportster, and would gladly give it up in favor of something that was nimble, torquey, smooth, and fun. I'm pretty sure the CB fits that from what I've read here and elsewhere. Not so sure about the CTX700N, but I like the looks so I'll consider it.

This may not ultimately be my only bike, but probably will be for the near future. I have a short vehicular attention span, and if I don't rein myself in and at least TRY to limit myself, I'll end up with 10. Not that there's anything WRONG with that... ;)
 
Welcome to the forum, and just like Rboe said the CB is very different than a Vtwin machine.I just bought a 14 deluxe and I love it, but I will not give up my 1100 Vstar because I really love the way a V2 feels with all that low end grunt:biker:
 
I've owned my '06 599 since new and traded it in on a Black '14 CB1100 about 3 weeks ago, and I also owned a Sportster, but AMF era. I just wish I had more miles on the CB right now to give you a better comparison of the two.
I tend to drive bikes hard but don't beat them and I love cornering but I'm not as fearless as I use to be. Part of the reason I chose a Retro is because the "Image" of the bike can sometimes dictate how I would drive it. You know, like wearing a bandana and chaps because I'm piloting a Harley. So maybe I'll slow down a bit with the CB.
Overall, the straight line performance is fairly equal with the 599. The higher HP seems to be offset by the increased torque in the CB but I'm in break-in mode. I doubt it would corner as well as the 599 but it seems to have potential there. the engine is as smooth as silk - bests the 599, but I'll miss that "growl" from the pipe. No 6.0 earthquake following you in the mirror either like on the Harley. I could make out car types well behind me on the CB. Very comfortable to drive and predictable so I hope over time it also doesn't become too boring.

I hope this helps in your decision Julian.
 
I kinda know where you're coming from. I have a VFR and the CB. Both great bikes in their own way. The VFR is the consummate sport tourer, but the CB is more well rounded and comfortable.
 
My Griso is my Attitude or Hooligan bike. It can be a very bad influence and at some point may have to go. The CB is much more gentlemanly. :)
 
G'day and welcome, Julian. I can't help much with your decision; but others are offering you good advice. Ultimately, I guess if you can afford more than one bike why not do it?

I've only got one of them and it's the CB1100. I replaced a Honda VT750 Shadow with it and find altogether more satisfying. I guess that's because it suits the sort of riding I want to do rather than because there was anything wrong with the Shadow.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
 
If your 599 and your Sportster had a love child... your little Honda will end up raising the little bastard all alone. At some point the Harley will just slip out the garage door one night and never come back. Never offer any support, and never ever come visit. Not even on the poor kid's birthday!
 
I'm with Cormanus on coming from a Shadow 750. The CB1100 has amazed me from my first time riding it and continues to do so. Wicked faster than the Shadow off the line through the entire RPM band and super light on its feet. It's comfortable, easier to move in the garage, gets nearly as good gas mileage. Plus, being a Honda, it's no doubt going to spend less time being worked on than the HD. Fantastic bike.

I bought mine having never ridden one. I knew it was perfect the moment I saw it on Honda's website =]
 
The CTX700N is a fine motorcycle that gets great gas mileage.I have seen a friend get as high as 80 MPG. It has good low end torque and is quick off the line, is comfortable, and adequate at speed. But I think you would be happier with the CB1100. More power and all around performance. I rode one and would like a little more power.
 
With the ctx700 you have to remember it has that high tech automatic or manual "paddle" shifting. The one I test ride was fun but the power of the 1100 sold me. Note for the wife the ctx700 would be perfect. ;)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Ok, Maybe I can give you a little information. I currently own a 2012 Sportster custom and just traded a CB1100 on a CTX700 DCT ABS.

First of all have you ridden a new Sportster since they rubber mounted the engine? If not it's a BIG improvement.

The CTX700 is a nice bike but it doesn't have the power of the other two. Lets face it no matter how you cut it 700 CC will not match 1200cc or 1100cc.

If I was you I would not buy a new bike find a near new one of your choice and save big money. All nice bikes. It's personal preference. The CB1100 is more refined then the Harley bike. There is something about the Sportster however it's pulls like a tractor and it sounds and looks like a well a Harley I guess.

The CTX is a more practical machine but it's not got the visceral appeal of the other two. You're not exactly comparing apples to apples. Honestly all nice bikes it's your money and your flavor of ice cream.

I am getting older and need a smaller lighter machine then the CB1100. The sportster is lower and easier for me to handle. The CTX 700 with the accessories is a nice short tourer or commuter bike.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
I'm with Cormanus on coming from a Shadow 750. The CB1100 has amazed me from my first time riding it and continues to do so. Wicked faster than the Shadow off the line through the entire RPM band and super light on its feet. It's comfortable, easier to move in the garage, gets nearly as good gas mileage. Plus, being a Honda, it's no doubt going to spend less time being worked on than the HD. Fantastic bike.

I bought mine having never ridden one. I knew it was perfect the moment I saw it on Honda's website =]
I am about to choose a bike for myself and Im debating between CB1100DLX and Shadow Spirit ABS. Overall CB1100 outstands in many aspects. But the maintenance issue with chain final drive concerns me when Honda web page for Shadow Spirit emphasizes on the fact that it's got virtually maintenance free shaft drive. I see that you traded in your shadow for the CB1100 but does the chain final drive cause more hassles than the shaft drive significantly from your experience? Help me on this, gentlemen!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
To me, chain maintenance isn't a big deal but it depends on the number of miles you ride. If you put on tons of miles, you might get tired of oiling a chain all the time. For me, I'll put maybe 4,000 miles on the bike per year. That means I'm oiling the chain 7 times max and cleaning it maybe twice. I've got it down to a 10 minute (at most) routine. The CB1100 DLX may be more of a challenge in this respect since the chain is buried a bit under the pipe and pegs. But again, with a little ingenuity I would expect I'll get a method set up before too long.
 
Back
Top