if cb1100 was a car, what could it be

I was going to say Dodge Challenger. Its a big, comfy, heavy, retro sporty car. The Mustang is an interesting suggestion and I think the 2005-2014 S197 cars fit well because of the overall retro theme plus the solid rear axle compares well as a throw-back to the CB's air cooled engine. The 2005-2010 4.6 had a 5 speed like the 2010-2013 CB. The 2011-2014s all had 6 speeds, like the 2014 CB. While the newer 5.0L V8 was worlds ahead of the 4.6, one could argue the 3.7L V6 in the 2011-20144 could be compared to the 4.6 as it nearly matched the old GT powerplant's hp rating.
 
I think my car, a 2011 Mustang V6, is a close four wheeled match to my CB1100. The aluminum DOHC has plenty of power (320 hp on mine, which has been rechipped etc. , with slightly retro looks and plenty of performance. Even with the live rear axle it handles track days like a demon.
 
To me, this is the cycle equivalent of a Toyota Camry.

...Blasphemy! I can hear the screams. But, let's add it up.

The CB is retro-styled - arguably. OR...you could argue it just returned to a more rational design language, that of the UJM of twenty-forty years ago.

It's not a copy. It's close; but it's fully modern in wheels; tank size and the like.

The engine is reminiscent of, maybe based on, the legendary big fours. But it is not a copy - it's adjusted for a more-friendly power-band...drivability at the expense of raw power.

It's a solid, good cycle, made by a company known for solid, good engineering...conservative inside and out. What was radical forty years ago, is now proven and even conservative today.

Likewise, the Camry. Most of the models, over the years, were conservative in styling - the way the Chevy Impala always was. The Camry used state-of-the-art design, but conservative applications. Front wheel drive was long proven by the time Toyota came out with that model.

The Camry doesn't burn rubber. It doesn't burn rubber for 250,000-plus miles. It doesn't do anything remarkably; but it does most tasks well. Innofensive and in some ways nondescript; but always reliable and performance where it counts.

That's what I think of, with this detuned big engine. It's a remarkably conservative bike, styled in a way us oldsters remember bikes ought to be; it does most things well but nothing outstanding. Everything from cold drivability to carrying two-up and luggage...it's all good. Not the fastest or the most thrifty...but good.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I understand the sentiment and feel the Honda love but I've never turned my head to take in a Honda Accord. My mother has a very nice one and it is everything one might want in a car - comfort, technology, dependability, with decent acceleration - but it lacks what I feel the CB has in spades. Style. Character. Timeless design. A harkening back to a classic era.

What do I suggest as an answer? Don't have one yet. I think igabiva28's question is a good one. A difficult one to answer.
I'm with you mate. But I am certain, in my own mind at least, that I HAVE THE ANSWER!

Check out a new take on a classic design here.

Cheers.

I love Morgans. I've not seen one on road in years.
 
Rboe_imp said:
2004 Thunderbird, A similar retro design where style was more important than performance, easy cruising machine...... :)
I've been thinking. I like Accords and some of the other bland utility cars offered. I like the idea of the Mustang or the other pony car thought. But the CB is NOT a sport bike, and it is not a bland utility vehicle. However, it IS retro. I think Rboe is spot on. The 2004 Thunderbird fits it perfectly! They both seem somewhat similar. With the obvious exception of the wheel count, they both have underpowered but acceptable power plants, they both have two seats, they both can put you in the wind, they both are comfortable, and they both were built to evoke the past. Perfect Rboe! :clap:
 
Thread starter
And a Mazda MX5, what do you think ?, if so, yours posts will support me to convince my wife, (veto for a mustang because of french import tax...).
 
I'm agree with the Mazda Mx5. Isn't a super sports car but it's enough powerful and handy to have fun like the cb1100.

Fabricated on the basics of the traditional lightweight sports cars like the cb1100 is tribute to the first Japanese super bikes.

Smooth, easy to drive and with enough polyvalency to be a daily ride.

Pretty to make turn heads of any kind of people, like cb1100 is...

However it's a bit girl friendly car and that does not occur with the cb1100 due to his weight...
 
I gotta pile onto the Mustang bandwagon. I've got a 2005 GT convertible. Same as ChipBeck said: good retro looks but not a copy, very nice performance with great reliability thrown in.
 
Morgan looks veerrry nice!

IMHO, Morgan goes better with the Bonnie, or maybe the new Indian Scout. Eye of the beholder kinda thing.
 
Let me throw this out there: Acura RL sedan.
Why? While it is not the top in horesepower or torque, handling or braking, comfort or luxury, flash or bling, it does all those things very well. It is subdued and competent and reliable, obscure yet tastefully attractive. And both a little out of the mainstream.
Ten years down the road, long after German car plastics and electronics have rendered them not worth fixing, and Detroit iron becomes instantly dated (are you listening Cadillac?) the Acura will just keep on motoring down the road, just like our CB1100.
 
Thread starter
I have got it, a mazda mx5 nd , of course officially for my wife...
Not so a lie, we will have for her birthday, july 4
Patience
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Let me throw this out there: Acura RL sedan.
Why? While it is not the top in horesepower or torque, handling or braking, comfort or luxury, flash or bling, it does all those things very well. It is subdued and competent and reliable, obscure yet tastefully attractive. And both a little out of the mainstream.
Ten years down the road, long after German car plastics and electronics have rendered them not worth fixing, and Detroit iron becomes instantly dated (are you listening Cadillac?) the Acura will just keep on motoring down the road, just like our CB1100.
I'm with Duck on this one although I wouldn't nominate the RL. IMNSHO, the current automotive equivalent to the CB is the Acura TLX for the same reasons given by the bird from China. The fact that the two cars in my household are Acuras brings no bias to my viewpoint. :D
 
I'll go with Mustang on this one. The original Mustang and the CB750 were both revolutionary. Their modern counterparts capture important styling cues and make huge performance improvements.

As for power--it's an air cooled motor which turns in good numbers without a lot of modifications. It will still stomp air cooled cruisers which have bigger motors, and you can accelerate faster, stop shorter, and maneuver better than any car you'll meet on the street.
 
Back
Top