Ideal Beater Bike

Stichill_imp said:
Interesting perspective, 2017EX. Like ferret said, in our area we're getting rain about 1 of every 3 days. That means on average 1 of every 3 weekends. And that means on average 1/3 of the riding season. I don't think I "enjoy" riding in a hard rain any more than the next bloke, but a lot of times rain is light and/or a temporary inconvenience. But, the road remains wet and dirty long after the precipitation stops.

I have this vision of being less concerned about checking my weather app, scouring it in hour-by-hour detail, looking for clear breaks so my nice bikes stay clean. Rather, I could see taking a quick look; if the forecast looks messy then I jump on the beater bike and sally forth. Given that usage scenario, a more modern / reliable / low-maintenance bike would be an asset. Four-stroke, fuel injection, electronic ignition, ABS, tubeless tires in a common size, low-maintenance final drive, etc. Turn a key, push a button, go. No choke, no carb, no points, no inner tubes, no chain lube, no fear of wet-road braking.

The other part of the vision I have is riding back into the garage on a wet / muddy / dusty / gritty / salty bike and parking it without conscience until I feel inclined to hose it off.

i have the answer to each and every one of your criteria my friend

https://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/range/road/scooter/burgman-400/specifications

four stroke, yep

electronic ignition, yep

Fuel Injected, yep

ABS, yep

Tubless tires, yep

Common size tires, yep (for scooters anyway...)

Low maintenance final drive, yep (belt)

great mileage, plentiful used, maneuverable, convenient, awesome in every way. you're welcome.
 
that's actually a great choice Mr P
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Interesting perspective, 2017EX. Like ferret said, in our area we're getting rain about 1 of every 3 days. That means on average 1 of every 3 weekends. And that means on average 1/3 of the riding season. I don't think I "enjoy" riding in a hard rain any more than the next bloke, but a lot of times rain is light and/or a temporary inconvenience. But, the road remains wet and dirty long after the precipitation stops.

I have this vision of being less concerned about checking my weather app, scouring it in hour-by-hour detail, looking for clear breaks so my nice bikes stay clean. Rather, I could see taking a quick look; if the forecast looks messy then I jump on the beater bike and sally forth. Given that usage scenario, a more modern / reliable / low-maintenance bike would be an asset. Four-stroke, fuel injection, electronic ignition, ABS, tubeless tires in a common size, low-maintenance final drive, etc. Turn a key, push a button, go. No choke, no carb, no points, no inner tubes, no chain lube, no fear of wet-road braking.

The other part of the vision I have is riding back into the garage on a wet / muddy / dusty / gritty / salty bike and parking it without conscience until I feel inclined to hose it off.

i have the answer to each and every one of your criteria my friend

https://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/range/road/scooter/burgman-400/specifications

four stroke, yep

electronic ignition, yep

Fuel Injected, yep

ABS, yep

Tubless tires, yep

Common size tires, yep (for scooters anyway...)

Low maintenance final drive, yep (belt)

great mileage, plentiful used, maneuverable, convenient, awesome in every way. you're welcome.
I’ve never ridden one of those or anything remotely like it. It’s...weird.

LongRanger_imp said:
Stichill, sounds like you need an F800GT. Oh wait...
:) I know, right! I thought of that. I think I’d feel bad about neglecting it that much. It deserves an appreciative owner.
 
LR, I always wanted an F800 but that alternator problem scared me off. Did they ever really correct that?
 
The early (2006-2008) F800S and F800ST models had a high incidence of stator failures due to overheating, but this was remedied beginning with the 2009 model year. The F800GT, which wasn't introduced until 2013, doesn't seem to have the issue. I follow this closely on F800riders.org.

I owned two 2007 F800ST's before buying my 2013 F800GT and had no issues, but neither have I experienced any driveshaft failures on my other BMW's, so who knows.
 
Stichill_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Interesting perspective, 2017EX. Like ferret said, in our area we're getting rain about 1 of every 3 days. That means on average 1 of every 3 weekends. And that means on average 1/3 of the riding season. I don't think I "enjoy" riding in a hard rain any more than the next bloke, but a lot of times rain is light and/or a temporary inconvenience. But, the road remains wet and dirty long after the precipitation stops.

I have this vision of being less concerned about checking my weather app, scouring it in hour-by-hour detail, looking for clear breaks so my nice bikes stay clean. Rather, I could see taking a quick look; if the forecast looks messy then I jump on the beater bike and sally forth. Given that usage scenario, a more modern / reliable / low-maintenance bike would be an asset. Four-stroke, fuel injection, electronic ignition, ABS, tubeless tires in a common size, low-maintenance final drive, etc. Turn a key, push a button, go. No choke, no carb, no points, no inner tubes, no chain lube, no fear of wet-road braking.

The other part of the vision I have is riding back into the garage on a wet / muddy / dusty / gritty / salty bike and parking it without conscience until I feel inclined to hose it off.

i have the answer to each and every one of your criteria my friend

https://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/range/road/scooter/burgman-400/specifications

four stroke, yep

electronic ignition, yep

Fuel Injected, yep

ABS, yep

Tubless tires, yep

Common size tires, yep (for scooters anyway...)

Low maintenance final drive, yep (belt)

great mileage, plentiful used, maneuverable, convenient, awesome in every way. you're welcome.
I’ve never ridden one of those or anything remotely like it. It’s...weird.

LongRanger_imp said:
Stichill, sounds like you need an F800GT. Oh wait...
:) I know, right! I thought of that. I think I’d feel bad about neglecting it that much. It deserves an appreciative owner.
:) I know, right! I thought of that. I think I’d feel bad about neglecting it that much. It deserves an appreciative owner.

Well if you are selling it in the $3500 or less price range, I wouldn't mind neglecting it that much :rofl:
 
Stichill_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Interesting perspective, 2017EX. Like ferret said, in our area we're getting rain about 1 of every 3 days. That means on average 1 of every 3 weekends. And that means on average 1/3 of the riding season. I don't think I "enjoy" riding in a hard rain any more than the next bloke, but a lot of times rain is light and/or a temporary inconvenience. But, the road remains wet and dirty long after the precipitation stops.

I have this vision of being less concerned about checking my weather app, scouring it in hour-by-hour detail, looking for clear breaks so my nice bikes stay clean. Rather, I could see taking a quick look; if the forecast looks messy then I jump on the beater bike and sally forth. Given that usage scenario, a more modern / reliable / low-maintenance bike would be an asset. Four-stroke, fuel injection, electronic ignition, ABS, tubeless tires in a common size, low-maintenance final drive, etc. Turn a key, push a button, go. No choke, no carb, no points, no inner tubes, no chain lube, no fear of wet-road braking.

The other part of the vision I have is riding back into the garage on a wet / muddy / dusty / gritty / salty bike and parking it without conscience until I feel inclined to hose it off.

i have the answer to each and every one of your criteria my friend

https://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/range/road/scooter/burgman-400/specifications

four stroke, yep

electronic ignition, yep

Fuel Injected, yep

ABS, yep

Tubless tires, yep

Common size tires, yep (for scooters anyway...)

Low maintenance final drive, yep (belt)

great mileage, plentiful used, maneuverable, convenient, awesome in every way. you're welcome.
I’ve never ridden one of those or anything remotely like it. It’s...weird.

LongRanger_imp said:
Stichill, sounds like you need an F800GT. Oh wait...
:) I know, right! I thought of that. I think I’d feel bad about neglecting it that much. It deserves an appreciative owner.
I’ve never ridden one of those or anything remotely like it. It’s...weird.
I knew a retired couple who rode two-up in full gear and side+rear bags on a Yamaha Majesty 400 scooter across Canada and back, as well as into central U.S. Talk about a beater. The 400 cc scooter was not new. They kept up with the group (all motorcycles), but did struggle a little bit on long mountain highway climbs. Nevertheless, we never lost them and they usually set the pace that was unexpectedly spritely.
 
Thread starter
Intellectually I'm OK with scooters. I shouldn't throw shade at a vehicle I haven't ridden. I do see a scooter in my future, maybe when I'm less limber and more urban.

In the meantime, when I think of myself riding a scooter, this guy pops into my head.

 
I loved my Majesty 400 ...however I didn't like where the air cleaners were situated and how much they cost

1e17290932dea8a924cb88c7d3dd5638.jpg
 
Thread starter
Ferret, so this was "Your Majesty"? :P

We've established one thing: you are secure in your manhood. :D

Seriously, though, what are the pros of a big scooter from a motorcyclist's perspective? Why did you love it?
 
Friend of mine had a white 600-650cc (?) Burgman not to long ago. I was impressed by the zip that machine had. He rode it from Utah all up and down the western coast with his wife on the back. He didn’t have a bad thing to say about the machine. It’s deceiving in appearance as well. From the front or the rear it looks kind of like a sport bike. Had plenty of on board storage. There was a lot Tupperware to remove to get the routine service things. Again....when you hear scooter you just don’t thing of the performance level that this machine was capable of. I can see one of these in my garage sometime in the future just from a practicality standpoint, and if health concern were an issue possibly extending my riding years due to the lower weight, center pass through and low mass.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Ferret, so this was "Your Majesty"? :P

We've established one thing: you are secure in your manhood. :D

Seriously, though, what are the pros of a big scooter from a motorcyclist's perspective? Why did you love it?
Turn the key, twist the grip and go. Step thru makes it so easy to get on, large comfortable seat, plenty of space to move your feet around from sportbike style to chopper style. Lots of storage, great gas mileage. Using both hands for brakes was real easy to get used to and btw it had great brakes. Good weather protection. Freeway legal and would run over 100 mph and cruise easy at 80. The only drawback imo was those air cleaners, the smaller wheels and no way to bump start one, which is also an issue for me with a DCT motorcycle.

BTW my wife had one too, same size, 3 years newer and silver. It was easy for her to ride. She actually got hers first, and the times I rode it I really liked it so I found a used one a couple years older to ride around with her. She decided to quit riding so we traded her scoot in on my second CB and traded mine in on a quad with snow plow.

fb1d7b1ff12e30fcce7830a0b2ab973f.jpg
 
If the main purpose of a beater bike is for it to be a run around, reliable, easy to maintain with good storage that will respond well to a quick squirt of a hose for cleaning purposes, it seems hard to go past a reasonable capacity scooter.
 
In terms of reliability, function, and cost to own, the most popular seem to be:

* Honda Forza 300 (2014 is popular, but the 2018/19 is really hot and not available in North America, yet)
* Yamaha Majesty 400 (long history track record)
* Yamaha T-Max
* Suzuki Bergman (the original Japanese super-scooter, engine up to 650 cc, scooter can get kinda "Lazy Boy" big)

All are ultra convenient hop 'n' go. Just don't expect that same feeling on initial acceleration of a motorcycle. It feels much different. They are perfect urban commuters and cruise well on freeways.

Cormanus: (+1) on washing.
 
m in sc_imp said:
i seriously doubt that a burgman is going to outpace a ktm or drz supermoto up there on its best day. no. way.
If it did, it might have to burn through a belt and maybe a pulley or two doing it.
 
m in sc_imp said:
i seriously doubt that a burgman is going to outpace a ktm or drz supermoto up there on its best day. no. way.
ssshhhhh. we've almost got him on the hook to buy one. the western world needs more underbone bikes.
 
Back
Top