Ideal Beater Bike

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
I live in the same area as ferret, and the weather here is miserably drizzly at the moment. And around here in the winter, we sometimes get clear, sunny days that are often cold and occasionally relatively warm...but the roads are still filthy with salt and sludge residue from recent snowy/icy weather. In summer, we get torrential rains and flash floods that wash all kinds of gravel, sand, mud, and fallen vegetation up onto the roadway. Even when the sun comes back out, the roads are a real mess.

In short, there are a lot of days that are otherwise ridable...if you don't mind your bike getting covered in salt and/or sloppy wet road dirt.

Now, I'm a guy who generally likes a clean bike. I'm not as meticulous as say, A-Man :thumbsup:, but for reasons of self-esteem I don't like to ride around on a dirty bike. Too, I don't think it's especially good for the bike in terms of rust and corrosion, or scratching the paint due to a film of fine grit on it. Now, I realize that for some (ahem, ferret) a dirty bike is a sign of die-hard daily rider cred and I can't argue with that really. :)

Nevertheless, sometimes I would be inclined to ride but I don't want to deal with a dirty bike. Or, turn a lightly dirty bike into a complete mess. This brings me to the subject of this thread: the concept of a beater bike.

What's a "beater"? Up in the northern parts of the U.S. that see substantial snowfall and consequently live with slushy, salty roads much of the year, a lot of people have a "beater" car. It's a car that is essentially sacrificial from a cosmetic standpoint, but is otherwise roadworthy and reliable. Nobody washes a beater, and nobody cares whether or not their beater looks like crud. You just drive your beat-up beater and beat it to death.

So, brainstorming as a group, what would be some good candidates for a beater bike? We might think a little bit about the intended use: riding in inclement weather and under inhospitable road conditions of all descriptions. Therefore, I'm thinking ABS is a must (at least for me). Also preferable but not essential would be some type of low-maintenance final drive like belt or shaft. A chain would also be fine I suppose because you could just keep oiling it and not worry about cleaning the rear wheel.

There may be other riding conditions around the world where a beater bike would be handy: gravel roads, muddy roads, blistering sun that bakes plastics into dust, etc.

I think it goes without saying (but I'll say it) that a beater bike is by definition a used bike that is not costly and thus is considered more-or-less a consumable / disposable utility item. Not a problem if it has a dented tank or other road rash as long as it's safe and reliable to operate.

What do you think? What would be your ideal beater bike?
 
There are so many that could fit that description, however shaft drive models would be hard to find. I've thought about buying a beater with the caveat that it's not going to be used for long distance work so anything 250cc and above would probably work and $3500 would probably be my limit for spending on a beater.

A 250 adventure bike like a Honda CRF 250, a CB 500X ( my nephew bought a low mileage 2014 model for $2500 and has only put tires, oil & filter into it), older SV650 or Weestrom, a 150-400 scooter, a KLR 650, a CB250 or 300 Ninja, DR 350 Suzuki,
Might I add that for me, I roll up such high mileage on my bikes, they are worth next to nothing when I am done anyway, so I don't worry about their resale value. Once bikes get above 40,000 miles they get real hard to sell or trade in, and I try hard to put 100K miles on all my bikes so I don't worry about things like scratches in the paint, oxidation on bolts and engine cases or wheels, or a little grit or grime up under the fenders, or center stand. I do take very good care of my bikes mechanically and anything that needs fixing mechanically gets done at the local Honda Yamaha shop. But as far as washing and waxing and detailing, I'd rather be riding and getting my money's worth out of my bikes. I don't take care of them for " the next guy".
 
They were a great value when new, and an even better value now that they're 20-30 years old: Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours. Great weather protection, shaft drive, locking bags, 7.5 gallon tank, 16 years in production so parts are readily available, reliable liquid-cooled 1000cc engine, plenty of performance if not a bit porky (600 lbs.) and buzzy above 80 mph. And no ABS. I see them for sale around here all the time with paltry miles (30,000 - 40,000) for less than $2000.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
There are so many that could fit that description, however shaft drive models would be hard to find. I've thought about buying a beater with the caveat that it's not going to be used for long distance work so anything 250cc and above would probably work and $3500 would probably be my limit for spending on a beater.

A 250 adventure bike like a Honda CRF 250, a CB 500X ( my nephew bought a low mileage 2014 model for $2500 and has only put tires, oil & filter into it), older SV650 or Weestrom, a 150-400 scooter, a KLR 650, a CB250 or 300 Ninja, DR 350 Suzuki,
Might I add that for me, I roll up such high mileage on my bikes, they are worth next to nothing when I am done anyway, so I don't worry about their resale value. Once bikes get above 40,000 miles they get real hard to sell or trade in, and I try hard to put 100K miles on all my bikes so I don't worry about things like scratches in the paint, oxidation on bolts and engine cases or wheels, or a little grit or grime up under the fenders, or center stand. I do take very good care of my bikes mechanically and anything that needs fixing mechanically gets done at the local Honda Yamaha shop. But as far as washing and waxing and detailing, I'd rather be riding and getting my money's worth out of my bikes. I don't take care of them for " the next guy".
Nice idea! I was kind of thinking about the Honda 500cc twin platform as a candidate.

The ferret_imp said:
There are so many that could fit that description, however shaft drive models would be hard to find. I've thought about buying a beater with the caveat that it's not going to be used for long distance work so anything 250cc and above would probably work and $3500 would probably be my limit for spending on a beater.

A 250 adventure bike like a Honda CRF 250, a CB 500X ( my nephew bought a low mileage 2014 model for $2500 and has only put tires, oil & filter into it), older SV650 or Weestrom, a 150-400 scooter, a KLR 650, a CB250 or 300 Ninja, DR 350 Suzuki,
Might I add that for me, I roll up such high mileage on my bikes, they are worth next to nothing when I am done anyway, so I don't worry about their resale value. Once bikes get above 40,000 miles they get real hard to sell or trade in, and I try hard to put 100K miles on all my bikes so I don't worry about things like scratches in the paint, oxidation on bolts and engine cases or wheels, or a little grit or grime up under the fenders, or center stand. I do take very good care of my bikes mechanically and anything that needs fixing mechanically gets done at the local Honda Yamaha shop. But as far as washing and waxing and detailing, I'd rather be riding and getting my money's worth out of my bikes. I don't take care of them for " the next guy".
I totally understand that perspective. I'm that way about cars!

LongRanger_imp said:
They were a great value when new, and an even better value now that they're 20-30 years old: Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours. Great weather protection, shaft drive, locking bags, 7.5 gallon tank, 16 years in production so parts are readily available, reliable liquid-cooled 1000cc engine, plenty of performance if not a bit porky (600 lbs.) and buzzy above 80 mph. And no ABS. I see them for sale around here all the time with paltry miles (30,000 - 40,000) for less than $2000.


Nice! Way to accelerate the exercise, LR! :thumbsup:
ferret, the CB250 looks like you could just hose it down every now and then. Simplicity at its finest.

 
I know where there is one of those same color for $800 I think
 
My 2 cents ...
[ul] [li]2014 Honda Forza 300: Suitable for suburban and urban mule runs. Truly "hop 'n' go" experience. Bullet proof thumper, cheap on dino, cheap to own. Some protection from the [road] elements. Freeway worthy for inter-city distances. Lots of under seat storage. Who doesn't like built-in storage? Of the bunch, probably the most usable in snow conditions.[/li] [li] '82/'83 Yamaha 650 Maxim: Super cheap to acquire, workhorse engine and good general construction. Comfortable seat, shaft drive, no fuss inline-4 and a 5-speed mule. Style is not bad, looks good dirty, and has usable power. It is a bit buzzy at freeway speeds.[/li] [li](+1) on the Honda CB500X. Probably the best lookin' of this lot.[/li] [li]I am thinking a used late model Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Pricier of the bunch on this list, but used price should be attractive compared to other brands. The bike is quite versatile, but generally a more friendly ride for long legged owners. Good for long range riding and rough roads.
[/li][/ul]
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
My 2 cents ...
[ul] [li]2014 Honda Forza 300: Suitable for suburban and urban mule runs. Truly "hop 'n' go" experience. Bullet proof thumper, cheap on dino, cheap to own. Some protection from the [road] elements. Freeway worthy for inter-city distances. Lots of under seat storage. Who doesn't like built-in storage? Of the bunch, probably the most usable in snow conditions.[/li] [li] '82/'83 Yamaha 650 Maxim: Super cheap to acquire, workhorse engine and good general construction. Comfortable seat, shaft drive, no fuss inline-4 and a 5-speed mule. Style is not bad, looks good dirty, and has usable power. It is a bit buzzy at freeway speeds.[/li] [li](+1) on the Honda CB500X. Probably the best lookin' of this lot.[/li] [li]I am thinking a used late model Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Pricier of the bunch on this list, but used price should be attractive compared to other brands. The bike is quite versatile, but generally a more friendly ride for long legged owners. Good for long range riding and rough roads.
[/li][/ul]
Very interesting suggestion. I'm not an irrational scooter snob. This is viable if the objective is to get out there on two wheels by whatever means necessary.

GoldOxide_imp said:
My 2 cents ...
[ul] [li]2014 Honda Forza 300: Suitable for suburban and urban mule runs. Truly "hop 'n' go" experience. Bullet proof thumper, cheap on dino, cheap to own. Some protection from the [road] elements. Freeway worthy for inter-city distances. Lots of under seat storage. Who doesn't like built-in storage? Of the bunch, probably the most usable in snow conditions.[/li] [li] '82/'83 Yamaha 650 Maxim: Super cheap to acquire, workhorse engine and good general construction. Comfortable seat, shaft drive, no fuss inline-4 and a 5-speed mule. Style is not bad, looks good dirty, and has usable power. It is a bit buzzy at freeway speeds.[/li] [li](+1) on the Honda CB500X. Probably the best lookin' of this lot.[/li] [li]I am thinking a used late model Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Pricier of the bunch on this list, but used price should be attractive compared to other brands. The bike is quite versatile, but generally a more friendly ride for long legged owners. Good for long range riding and rough roads.
[/li][/ul]
Looks-wise, the Maxim has it by a mile! I really like it! Maybe almost too much...I'd be tempted to pamper it. :shy:

 
:rofl: you don't want to buy a beater you are tempted to pamper
 
Thread starter
:thanks: :rofl:
The ferret_imp said:
I know where there is one of those same color for $800 I think
That is insanely cheap. Ms. Stichill would flip her lid! I need to get my GT gone!
 
The ferret_imp said:
:rofl: you don't want to buy a beater you are tempted to pamper
I owned a Maxim 650 that was weather-beaten, sun-faded and a bit crusty. But, the rubber components were good, the seat had no cracks or tears, no dents in the tank - but there were fine scratches. I did the routine maintenance and the bike never let me down. I never had to wash it because it was naturally weathered. Rode it for several years and sold it for the same price I bought it for. Insurance? ... just did the liability. Nobody wants to steal an old Maxim.
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
My 2 cents ...
[ul] [li]2014 Honda Forza 300: Suitable for suburban and urban mule runs. Truly "hop 'n' go" experience. Bullet proof thumper, cheap on dino, cheap to own. Some protection from the [road] elements. Freeway worthy for inter-city distances. Lots of under seat storage. Who doesn't like built-in storage? Of the bunch, probably the most usable in snow conditions.[/li] [li] '82/'83 Yamaha 650 Maxim: Super cheap to acquire, workhorse engine and good general construction. Comfortable seat, shaft drive, no fuss inline-4 and a 5-speed mule. Style is not bad, looks good dirty, and has usable power. It is a bit buzzy at freeway speeds.[/li] [li](+1) on the Honda CB500X. Probably the best lookin' of this lot.[/li] [li]I am thinking a used late model Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Pricier of the bunch on this list, but used price should be attractive compared to other brands. The bike is quite versatile, but generally a more friendly ride for long legged owners. Good for long range riding and rough roads.
[/li][/ul]
Very interesting suggestion. I'm not an irrational scooter snob. This is viable if the objective is to get out there on two wheels by whatever means necessary.

GoldOxide_imp said:
My 2 cents ...
[ul] [li]2014 Honda Forza 300: Suitable for suburban and urban mule runs. Truly "hop 'n' go" experience. Bullet proof thumper, cheap on dino, cheap to own. Some protection from the [road] elements. Freeway worthy for inter-city distances. Lots of under seat storage. Who doesn't like built-in storage? Of the bunch, probably the most usable in snow conditions.[/li] [li] '82/'83 Yamaha 650 Maxim: Super cheap to acquire, workhorse engine and good general construction. Comfortable seat, shaft drive, no fuss inline-4 and a 5-speed mule. Style is not bad, looks good dirty, and has usable power. It is a bit buzzy at freeway speeds.[/li] [li](+1) on the Honda CB500X. Probably the best lookin' of this lot.[/li] [li]I am thinking a used late model Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Pricier of the bunch on this list, but used price should be attractive compared to other brands. The bike is quite versatile, but generally a more friendly ride for long legged owners. Good for long range riding and rough roads.
[/li][/ul]
Looks-wise, the Maxim has it by a mile! I really like it! Maybe almost too much...I'd be tempted to pamper it. :shy:
Yeah, the Maxim 650 is a bit of a sex machine.

The successors, the Maxim 700 and Maxim 750X were even hotter. The 750X is really not a beater candidate, but more of a 105 hp collectible. It has a 20 valve inline-4.
 
Ok Stichill, the previous suggestions are really good ones for a "disposable beater", but here's a slightly different idea - I'll call it a "collectible beater". How about finding a beat up (or barn find) 1st gen SOHC CB 750 (or alternatively a Z1-900) that is at least structurally sound and rideable. At the core all you really need is a solid, straight frame, and a good motor - mileage really doesn't matter - either motor is bullet-proof. Ride it for as long as it suits your purpose, but at the end, you now have a solid platform that either you or a potential buyer could do a full restoration on. From what I've seen, I think you could find either a beat CB or Z1 for $2000 or under, and when it's done serving you as a rider, I think it will still be worth what you paid for it. It's really just an investment that you can cash in anytime you want to get your money back. If you decide early on that you want to someday restore it, you can make it a hobby to pick up parts - tank, gauges, seat, exhaust, etc as you see "deals" on e-bay or wherever. In my opinion, those 1st gen "superbikes" will always hold value, and while you ride it, you'll have a conversation piece when you're out on the road.
 
I take meticulous physical and mechanical care of my bikes, not for the next guy, but for me....I just dig the effort and results. As for a beater, I owned a CX500 for a while, but I found it to be such an uninspiring bike, that I wouldn’t even ride it. I picked up a nice ‘99 Suzuki DR350 SE this winter, and it fits the bill perfectly.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Ah ya, I forgot the Honda CX500. There is a beater candidate.

It will run forever, but as Capo points out, one will have to live with its behaviour - which is probably acceptable to some.

I am unsure if there is more maintenance than one cares for - something else to consider.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
They were a great value when new, and an even better value now that they're 20-30 years old: Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours. Great weather protection, shaft drive, locking bags, 7.5 gallon tank, 16 years in production so parts are readily available, reliable liquid-cooled 1000cc engine, plenty of performance if not a bit porky (600 lbs.) and buzzy above 80 mph. And no ABS. I see them for sale around here all the time with paltry miles (30,000 - 40,000) for less than $2000.
m in sc_imp said:
+1 concours. i have one. it is my rain bike. I have less than 2 k in it total.


i got it from my friend Tom (in background). this was near maggie valley in '17, thats his daughter to the right, he was on that 78 GL.

my 99 'beater' is to the left. so easy to maintain and parts are beyond cheap as there are a ton of them out there.

5d8a711e266b0d8f5a56b892af617f5e.jpg


447f584303cb2342a8d3b72732756d01.jpg
Great endorsements. Something to consider for long range and freeway duties.
 
After a 25 year hiatus from motorcycling, I bought a CB500XA for my 68th birthday. I rode it for 3 years and put a happy 33,000 kilometers on it before trading it in on my CB1100 EX.

It is a reliable all round motorcycle that can go anywhere. I put a tall windscreen on mine to keep the bugs and rain off. It was light and nimble, got great gas mileage, a was surprizing quick for a small motorcycle.


Years ago people here used beater cars in the winter to save their good cars from the slush and road salt. However when the government made environmental tests every 3 years law, the beaters all disappeared because they often failed the test and were expensive to repair.

Fortunately today's cars are less prone to rust. My Impala is a mess during the winter. During the real cold weather I avoid the car wash because the doors may freeze shut. During the snowy weather the roads are nothing but slush. A freshly washed car would be a mess by the time you got home. During the mild weather the snow melts create puddles of salty water. Again a freshly washed car would be a mess by the time you got home.
 
I can appreciate an immaculately clean bike, but it is difficult to keep them that way when you ride over 300 days/25,000 miles a year in the Midwest. According to the US climate report we get 132 days of rainfall a year, and average 19" of snow. We've had 4 or 5 days of rain this week. I've ridden on every one of them. The winter months of Nov -March with snow/ice/slush/salt I missed only 11 days of riding in those 4 months. It would be impossible to keep a bike immaculate if you ride nearly everyday. Of course you can just stay home and stare out the window and keep your bike clean, but what fun is that? Most of what keeps me from riding these days is medical related, not weather related.

I'm the ideal candidate for a beater bike, but I just beat the ones I have :rofl:
 
Some thoughts: Any cheap good runner on craigslist could be a candidate - but how to whittle them down?

Go the tupperware route (PC800) so the grime stays on the outside for the most part. Easy to clean when the urge overcomes you.

Small dual sport (250-350cc) in case you hit sand and fall down. Very light so easy to pick up and to repair - and cheap to run!

Scooters kinda fit all three catagories but maybe not cheap to fix if you drop it. Small wheels might be too squirrelly in sand (I really don't have any time on one so this is a WAG on my part - you have been warned! :) ).

I'd lean towards something with EFI so it would be easier to keep running than a carbed bike but it would not be a deal killer. Not sure what your commuting requirements are but at first blush I'd steer clear of larger machines suggested since they will drink more. When it comes to commuting I think thrifty would be a premium but we all have different ideas there. Shoot, the new 125 Honda Cub would be very nice!
 
Hey I've had 3 of those (73 TX identical to the one in the pic, a 79 XS and an 81 XS Special) and other than vibration, points and carbs, they do make a pretty good beater.
 
My first bike was the ‘75 model. Black.
 
Back
Top