i tested til out of gas on my standard 2013 cb1100

jeffskar_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just thought I'd share my test experience with you all. I wanted to see exactly how far I could go on a tank of gas and here's my results on my standard 2013 CB1100.

last gas bar started flashing at 127 miles
ran completely out of gas at 182 miles
took a touch over 3.9 gallons almost to the top of the goofy 2-3" submerged filler neck. Around 46 mpg.

It was a mix of driving, probably 80% in town, 20% highway/interstate. Even got-on-it a few times, one of the times racing a duramax diesel from a red-light, hahaha. So when you start flashing, you're still riding around with probably a little over a gallon at your disposal, so don't sweat it as much as I did, prior to the test.
 
Nice! It's always nice to see what other people are getting! I haven't tried running dry yet, but I did recently check my milage.

On my standard 2014 I got to about 150 when my gas bar started flashing. And then it estimated about 40 miles left worth of gas. I was getting about 52mpg. A lot of it was highway, however. Some city mixed in there, too. I would say mine was 80% highway and 20% city.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
 
That's great. I think you are the first forum member that has purposely ran their bike out of gas in the interest of information for the forum members. Thanks for taking one for the team.
 
How hot do we think the fuel pump gets? It can't get all that hot considering that it'd blow the darn bike up at low fuel levels if it did.
 
I can't think it's that hot in our bikes. From what I've seen taking the tank off, we have a returnless fuel system, so the pump is either throttled back alot during "normal" operation, or it just constantly puts out relatively low pressure and volume to begin with.
 
Thread starter
INTP_imp said:
Is your fuel pump noisy now, since it was run that far down?
No, when it was nearly "out" it was because it wasn't "as submerged" as it would be other-wise. Fuel pump sound and performance is unchanged.
 
That's good info jeffskar.

Been across Wyo and Neb many times and gas aint always where you hoped it would be. I havent been on long trips on the 2013 CB yet and was wondering about the range after low fuel flash.
 
Thread starter
Ralph_imp said:
I wanna know about the important stuff:P Who won the race between you and the Duramax:rofl:

ralph
Duramax got schooled pretty bad, hahaha! And he was the one instigating the race.
 
jeffskar_imp said:
Ralph_imp said:
I wanna know about the important stuff:P Who won the race between you and the Duramax:rofl:

ralph
Duramax got schooled pretty bad, hahaha! And he was the one instigating the race.
Duramax got schooled pretty bad, hahaha! And he was the one instigating the race. Nice. I always find it somewhat funny when people in relatively average cars try to race bikes, considering most bikes over 500cc can deliver non-turbo Porsche levels of acceleration pretty effortlessly.
 
Thread starter
I actually can't wait til next year, I'm gonna reduce the front sprocket down from 19 to 15, or possibly 16 teeth, and go from 39, to 44-46 on the rear, and see what she'll do at the 1/8th mile track. No other mods aside from changing the final drive ratio.
 
Jeff for comparison on a DLX with a 4.6 gal tank.. on todays ride I went on 1 flashing bar at 169 miles (272 km) on my trip meter B which I reset every time I fill up. It went to telling me how far I could go shortly afterward and started at 66 miles (106km) to go on the count down. When it got down to 37 miles (60km) to go, I stopped for gas. I had gone 206.5 miles (332 km) on the tank, and about 38 miles (61km) on the flashing bar. It took 3.8 gals to fill up (out of 4.6 ) so .8 of a gallon remaining or approx. another 44 miles (70km) until empty at 55 mpg.

(KMs are for our friends that use that system lol)

I have gone further on a tank, for some reason 225 miles (362 km) comes to mind and I had about 1/2 gallon left I figured.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Jeff for comparison on a DLX with a 4.6 gal tank.. on todays ride I went on 1 flashing bar at 169 miles (272 km) on my trip meter B which I reset every time I fill up. It went to telling me how far I could go shortly afterward and started at 66 miles (106km) to go on the count down. When it got down to 37 miles (60km) to go, I stopped for gas. I had gone 206.5 miles (332 km) on the tank, and about 38 miles (61km) on the flashing bar. It took 3.8 gals to fill up (out of 4.6 ) so .8 of a gallon remaining or approx. another 44 miles (70km) until empty at 55 mpg.

(KMs are for our friends that use that system lol)

I have gone further on a tank, for some reason 225 miles (362 km) comes to mind and I had about 1/2 gallon left I figured.
Thanks, I do it. No wonder in Germany.

Wisedrum
 
jeffskar_imp said:
Ralph_imp said:
I wanna know about the important stuff:P Who won the race between you and the Duramax:rofl:

ralph
Duramax got schooled pretty bad, hahaha! And he was the one instigating the race.
Duramax got schooled pretty bad, hahaha! And he was the one instigating the race. Yah Baby, now this is pod racing:rofl::celebrate::rofl:

ralph
 
The ferret_imp said:
Jeff for comparison on a DLX with a 4.6 gal tank.. on todays ride I went on 1 flashing bar at 169 miles (272 km) on my trip meter B which I reset every time I fill up. It went to telling me how far I could go shortly afterward and started at 66 miles (106km) to go on the count down. When it got down to 37 miles (60km) to go, I stopped for gas. I had gone 206.5 miles (332 km) on the tank, and about 38 miles (61km) on the flashing bar. It took 3.8 gals to fill up (out of 4.6 ) so .8 of a gallon remaining or approx. another 44 miles (70km) until empty at 55 mpg.

(KMs are for our friends that use that system lol)

I have gone further on a tank, for some reason 225 miles (362 km) comes to mind and I had about 1/2 gallon left I figured.
Thanks for adding the DLX fuel test Ferret. Got about 180 miles planned tomorrow so a good fill up will ease my mind.
 
Back
Top