I never knew this about my CB1100

suhawk305

Road warrior
Thread starter
A lot of us experienced people mistaking our CB1100 for the vintage CB750s, etc. That happened to me again this morning, but with a little twist.
While I was packing my car this morning for a short trip. A person I know saw me and stopped in to update me on a business matter. Since it was raining, he stepped into my garage for our conversation, right next to my CB1100 with my CB77 parked right behind it. Keep in mind he is about the same age as I, mid to late 60s.
He said, “you really kept this bike in nice shape!”. Thinking he was referring to my CB77, I look around and he was standing next to and looking down at the CB1100. Of course I had to explained the bike is a 2014 model that was built as a retro etc . etc. He asked me if I ride it much while trying to find the odometer on the instrument cluster. I turned the key and he could see 2,200 miles.
What came next is what I did not expect. He said “You know that these bikes are usually worn-out by 10,000 mile” I told him I hope to be able to ride this bike to at least 100,000 miles.
Not sure what he was thinking of, a 50cc moped, etc.? :biker:
 
suhawk305_imp said:
A lot of us experienced people mistaking our CB1100 for the vintage CB750s, etc. That happened to me again this morning, but with a little twist.
While I was packing my car this morning for a short trip. A person I know saw me and stopped in to update me on a business matter. Since it was raining, he stepped into my garage for our conversation, right next to my CB1100 with my CB77 parked right behind it. Keep in mind he is about the same age as I, mid to late 60s.
He said, “you really kept this bike in nice shape!”. Thinking he was referring to my CB77, I look around and he was standing next to and looking down at the CB1100. Of course I had to explained the bike is a 2014 model that was built as a retro etc . etc. He asked me if I ride it much while trying to find the odometer on the instrument cluster. I turned the key and he could see 2,200 miles.
What came next is what I did not expect. He said “You know that these bikes are usually worn-out by 10,000 mile” I told him I hope to be able to ride this bike to at least 100,000 miles.
Not sure what he was thinking of, a 50cc moped, etc.? :biker:
If he's right you can probably forego the valve inspection.
 
pdedse_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
A lot of us experienced people mistaking our CB1100 for the vintage CB750s, etc. That happened to me again this morning, but with a little twist.
While I was packing my car this morning for a short trip. A person I know saw me and stopped in to update me on a business matter. Since it was raining, he stepped into my garage for our conversation, right next to my CB1100 with my CB77 parked right behind it. Keep in mind he is about the same age as I, mid to late 60s.
He said, “you really kept this bike in nice shape!”. Thinking he was referring to my CB77, I look around and he was standing next to and looking down at the CB1100. Of course I had to explained the bike is a 2014 model that was built as a retro etc . etc. He asked me if I ride it much while trying to find the odometer on the instrument cluster. I turned the key and he could see 2,200 miles.
What came next is what I did not expect. He said “You know that these bikes are usually worn-out by 10,000 mile” I told him I hope to be able to ride this bike to at least 100,000 miles.
Not sure what he was thinking of, a 50cc moped, etc.? :biker:
If he's right you can probably forego the valve inspection.
If he's right you can probably forego the valve inspection.
:rofl:

well prior to 1969 he was probably right. I remember my Dad's Harley's needing a top end rebuild at 10,000 and a bottom end at 20,000 miles.

Motorcycles have come a long way. Few are ridden enough to be worn out, they are generally just neglected to death. Still it's very hard to sell a motorcycle with over 20,000 miles on them even now, as there are so many examples that can be found with under 5000 on them.
 
Thread starter
True statement Ferret. I can remember rows of junk motorcycles behind independent motorcycle shops I am quite proud my well maintained CB77 engine and transmission are still original and untouched with about 40k miles.

And bummer, I paid for a maintenance package for my CB1100 that included the valve inspection!
 
In 1981, I sold my 1976 CB750F with just under 40,000 miles, with the forks caved in, but to a friend who knew how it had been maintained.
 
The ferret_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
A lot of us experienced people mistaking our CB1100 for the vintage CB750s, etc. That happened to me again this morning, but with a little twist.
While I was packing my car this morning for a short trip. A person I know saw me and stopped in to update me on a business matter. Since it was raining, he stepped into my garage for our conversation, right next to my CB1100 with my CB77 parked right behind it. Keep in mind he is about the same age as I, mid to late 60s.
He said, “you really kept this bike in nice shape!”. Thinking he was referring to my CB77, I look around and he was standing next to and looking down at the CB1100. Of course I had to explained the bike is a 2014 model that was built as a retro etc . etc. He asked me if I ride it much while trying to find the odometer on the instrument cluster. I turned the key and he could see 2,200 miles.
What came next is what I did not expect. He said “You know that these bikes are usually worn-out by 10,000 mile” I told him I hope to be able to ride this bike to at least 100,000 miles.
Not sure what he was thinking of, a 50cc moped, etc.? :biker:
If he's right you can probably forego the valve inspection.
If he's right you can probably forego the valve inspection.
:rofl:

well prior to 1969 he was probably right. I remember my Dad's Harley's needing a top end rebuild at 10,000 and a bottom end at 20,000 miles.

Motorcycles have come a long way. Few are ridden enough to be worn out, they are generally just neglected to death. Still it's very hard to sell a motorcycle with over 20,000 miles on them even now, as there are so many examples that can be found with under 5000 on them.
You are right about it being hard to sell a bike with 20,000 + miles. I recently sold a 2014 Guzzi V7 with 22,000 miles. It's hard to even get a reply to an ad on a bike with perceived "high" mileage.

I bet that Guzzi will make it to 100,000 miles plus.
 
No point in trying to sell my CB then. :(
 
I also have an ‘05 Sportster with 30k on it, still runs as good as it did when it was new. Doesn’t use oil and hasn’t lost any power.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
A lot of us experienced people mistaking our CB1100 for the vintage CB750s, etc. That happened to me again this morning, but with a little twist.
While I was packing my car this morning for a short trip. A person I know saw me and stopped in to update me on a business matter. Since it was raining, he stepped into my garage for our conversation, right next to my CB1100 with my CB77 parked right behind it. Keep in mind he is about the same age as I, mid to late 60s.
He said, “you really kept this bike in nice shape!”. Thinking he was referring to my CB77, I look around and he was standing next to and looking down at the CB1100. Of course I had to explained the bike is a 2014 model that was built as a retro etc . etc. He asked me if I ride it much while trying to find the odometer on the instrument cluster. I turned the key and he could see 2,200 miles.
What came next is what I did not expect. He said “You know that these bikes are usually worn-out by 10,000 mile” I told him I hope to be able to ride this bike to at least 100,000 miles.
Not sure what he was thinking of, a 50cc moped, etc.? :biker:
That's not a challenge for the CB 1100 - :biker:
At the moment my 2014 CB 1100 EX has 96.946 miles.
By the end of this month we will reach the 100.000 miles mark

Engine, cluth, transmission, battery, etc. are still original. We only needed wear parts.
 
always some professional manner : to care and to tend can work wonders for a long dependable life....byside from good base quality of stuff
 
I have never been able to wear out any Honda even though i got rid of them first. my last CB750K had 78,000 miles and my CB160 had 29,000 and still running great with no oil burning smoke.
now i am to old to wear out most of anything and laugh at lifetime warranties even on a water hose .
 
Those of us here with ST's are quietly chuckling. Although the ST and CB are different kinds of bikes built for different purposes, Expecting 100K from a well maintained CB is entirely reasonable.

My ST is over 105K miles. And, without a second thought, I am riding it to the west coast with stops at two rally's. I estimate I will put a bit over 5K miles on it before returning home. My CB, on the other hand, is ridden differently but I fully expect to get many happy miles from it.

Perhaps the fellow was confusing the fact they don't start running well until they have been "broken in" which (iMHO) doesn't happen until one nears the 10K mile mark.

'Broken' vs. 'Broke in'. It kinda sounds the same. :s
Jim
 
Tezza_imp said:
I have a 73 Kawasaki Z1 with almost 70,000 miles on it. I would have no trouble selling it.
Try that with a CB1100
 
134,000 miles on my '98 K1200RS. I'm the original owner. The bike looks great and runs like the wind. It was at the dealership yesterday getting some fresh fluids. The service department performed a multi-point inspection and found everything to be in excellent condition. It pays to keep up with maintenance. The bike might fetch $1500 but it's not for sale and owes me nothing.

e49da2712ec919aa38adfba131d61466.jpg
 
Wow LR, nice bike! According to Wiki they only made 37,992 during its time. I’d keep that bike too!
 
This goes back to a post I made a while back. People, for whatever reason, that know very little about motorcycles, always want to talk as if they do. I can't for the life of me figure out why. It just airs their ignorance. Would your friend talk to a dam engineer about fluid dynamics? Probably not. So what is it about motorcycles that brings this behavior out? One of life's great mysteries I suppose.
 
jitaylor_imp said:
Well, little Honda generators have run easily over 10,000 hours without stopping.
My dad bought a new Honda EX-1000 in the eighties.
He used it camping, then gave it to me for use at our Arizona ranch for several years. I changed the oil (1/2 quart?) once a year.
When I went solar, I lent it to a co-worker for dog shows for a couple years
She returned it to me and I then lent it to a friend with a tiny house on 361 acres in a remote area.

Other than an occasional carb cleaning and yearly spark plug change, it has not needed servicing in ~30 years. No idea how many hours.
 
Back
Top