I might buy a CB1100

sbn_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi all.

I currently ride a Honda xl1000 Varadero and I really like this bike. But I must admit I always hunger after a modern retro bike. I my area the most common modern retros are triumphs and bmw's, oh and harleys.

I really like the looks of the early 80's honda cb custom bikes like the cb 900 c or 1000 c.
And I think if I would buy a cb1100 I would try and make it look like those bikes. Higher bars, bigger seat, sissybars and if possible move the pegs a little bit forward to be more mid controls. tires with white lettering, 4 into 4 exhausts.

Have any of you done anything like this? Would it be at all possible and not make the bike look ridiculous?
If you have any pictures of a cb1100 "custom" I would like to see how it could look. Thanks.
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum

oh and .... Calling Powerdubs
 
G'day and welcome to the forum, sbn.
 
Welcome Sbn!

You can pretty much everything you listed. Some of it will be expensive and the sissybar will be a problem as no one seems to make one. Members have made their own, or adapted one from another bike to fit.

Two places to look for parts are samurider.com and japan.webike.net

Of course there are others, but they are a good place to start.
 
I've always been more of an F man than a C so the bike suits me well stock, maybe you could find a way to add the high low ten speed tranny too! Lol. Buy the CB, make it your own and have the time of your life on it!
 
The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum

oh and .... Calling Powerdubs


Who...me? :thumbsup:


While it isn't done yet, it is getting closer to what I want.

Silver forks and a set of highway pegs will be here next week. Silver valve cover is almost done and ready to swap on.

Seriously considering either a DLX tank or even a custom classic round Whitehouse K10 painted early 80's style though.

I am really REALLY enjoying riding this bike.

I bought it because of how much I enjoyed riding my '82 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD when I was in the Army a few decades ago- and also my '76 CB750 although admittedly it didn't have the attitude or comfort the LTD did.

I wonder if I would enjoy the LTD as much if I got on it now- or if it is rose colored glasses and the new CB has spoiled me.


From tonight-

ff86fdf65636b4b778e2e9524124e9d1.jpg
 
Popgun nailed it.

Check out youtube for Honda CB1100 4-4 exhaust clips (and loads of others).

I share your (presumed) appreciation of ADV bikes and still love the CB.

You might want to fit a nice rack and panniers too... just for some decent cargo space. You can do all these things and more !

I wonder how much you'll enjoy the relatively light handling and balance of the CB after riding the Varadero!
 
Thread starter
Powerdubs that is seriously a nice looking bike, just what I am thinking about. I guess you can make the cb into a custom model. Are you gong to change handlebars?
 
Thank you. I am not done yet slowly but surely . Still have lots of changes to do.

I know it is hard to tell from that picture, but I've already change the handlebars.

They are a little wider and a little further pullback than the stock bars – I cannot go any more extreme without changing the clutch brake and throttle cables which I have not tackled yet, and honestly may not ever do – because this is already extremely comfortable to ride.

Here are a few more pictures from that day, and today's work where I am swapping on a valve cover that I stripped and brushed.

d0afb267ac1c6ba9ac21d637350254fb.jpg
77490c55ea003bfcb4ac57dbed6774be.jpg
d837e19b43652da87f0ac7f1374cd2a1.jpg
7f94ee697f80e724ec0b3dab4bf171ae.jpg
0b14afe37f0a16144ee1e4412718337e.jpg
04bf31932707543f9a8fb3a0bb2202ce.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Custom made- was supposed to be shorter, but the kid that made for me it can't follow directions and I had no recourse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have to say though, my wife says the sissy bar and the new Ikon shocks make the bike much more comfortable.

I have a special motorcycle backpack that slides down over the sissy bar.

Another pic- added the silver valve cover. Silver forks arrive tomorrow-


374bb8ebccc0b813c0566bbd0d052f93.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Drumroll's been going on for quite a while now SBN... please put us out of our misery... did you get one?

Hope the answer's YES !!!
 
Thread starter
HAHA R748, I did not even have the time to get to the dealer to look at one. Nearest dealer that has a 13 model (can't afford the new one) is about a 3 hour ride from my house. So I have to find the time to go visit this dealer. On the plus side I know that this dealer lets you testride a bike before buying so that won't be a problem. Not all dealers in this country does that.
I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Oh and PowerDubs... I'm in love with you bike... :-D
 
Good luck SBN. In Australia a 3hr drive is pretty close although I guess the stress level will depend on traffic.

Sounds like you have the Honda bug and the CB1100 bug as well. I don't blame you :)

No contest with the Varadero i'm afraid :) CB wins.
 
Back
Top