I made it

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I love the hippo hands (although I think that's a brand name and mine are not that brand). They take a little getting used to because it can be difficult to operate the turn signals and bright lights, but that could depend on the brand, I suppose. They do a great job of keeping the wind off your hands and wrists and work wonderfully with heated grips.
Congrats on the miles, Mickey. Also, not sure of your math, but it's an impressive feat, regardless.
 
Well done, Ferret. I knew you could do it.
 
Thread starter
The math works when you add the 16,849 from the ST, the 8600 from the 14 CB, the 27 from the 13 CB, the 1368 from the Majesty, the 147 from the NC 700 and the 25 from the V Star 1100 the dealership asked me to ride to diagnose a noise for them...at least I think it all adds up.

Interesting to me ... (but maybe not to you)
I rode the first day of 2014 and the last day
I rode in all 12 months of the year (8 th year in a row)
I rode 241 days during the year, averaging 112 miles a day
There were 3 months I only missed riding 1 day..... June, July and Sept
I was out of town for 9 days in August, but rode every day I was home, and 1 day I was out of town
1 month I missed 2 Days....Dec
1 month I missed 3 days....Oct
I haven't figured out exactly how many states I rode in in 2014 yet, but it's something like 20
In one 24 hour period I rode in 105 degrees and 32 degrees
My highest mileage day was 569, my lowest was 10.... both in June less than 2 weeks apart

It's been a great year, and I have a very understanding wife.
 
Thread starter
More fun? ... over on the ST forum they run a mileage contest every year..I don't make the top 10, as a matter of fact I finished 14 th this year my best ever. This years top finisher was again over 46,000 miles.

They also have a coldest ride contest..last time I looked I was sitting around 6 th. Ohio doesn't get cold enough for me to finish high in that contest. Last years winner was - 25, the year before - 18.
There are some serious riders on that site.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The math works when you add the 16,849 from the ST, the 8600 from the 14 CB, the 27 from the 13 CB, the 1368 from the Majesty, the 147 from the NC 700 and the 25 from the V Star 1100 the dealership asked me to ride to diagnose a noise for them...at least I think it all adds up.

Interesting to me ... (but maybe not to you)
I rode the first day of 2014 and the last day
I rode in all 12 months of the year (8 th year in a row)
I rode 241 days during the year, averaging 112 miles a day
There were 3 months I only missed riding 1 day..... June, July and Sept
I was out of town for 9 days in August, but rode every day I was home, and 1 day I was out of town
1 month I missed 2 Days....Dec
1 month I missed 3 days....Oct
I haven't figured out exactly how many states I rode in in 2014 yet, but it's something like 20
In one 24 hour period I rode in 105 degrees and 32 degrees
My highest mileage day was 569, my lowest was 10.... both in June less than 2 weeks apart

It's been a great year, and I have a very understanding wife.
Ah, then the math DOES add up. When I read the original figure and only saw the two figures, I assumed the 27 was short hand for 27,000! And, I do find the amount of riding you do interesting. Enviable in fact. May you have as wonderful a year in 2015 as you did in 2014. And, yes, you sir have a very understanding wife!
 
Thread starter
Look at the top ten mileage winners on the ST forum from 2009

Username Mileage

tloftus 100,948

motomac 91,607

BDonald 67,070

George 65,657

crazykz 45,126

Howard Steiger 43,000

SilverSTreak 40,001

ilovethewest 38,785

STArnie13 37,250

indypup 36,355

Total 2009 Site Mileage: 8,471,514

Total 2009 Daily Mileage: 23,210

Participating Members: 1,141

And..no one has ever won the coldest ride contest with a 0 or above temperature.
 
That's amazing....good job!

I had some hippo hands on my CB750 way back...they helped a lot, but they don't generate any heat, so unless you're plugged in the only heat is what you start with in your hands. I guess heated grips would come in handy!

Last time I searched the claimed original hippo hands said they were out of business and just shipping remaining stock.

What is the best supplier for hippo hands?
 
Thread starter
These are the ones I got, but I can only use them because the ST doesn't have mirrors on the bars, but on the fairing.

Amazon.com

I bought my brother a set for Christmas, but when he tried them on his FZ (also mirrors on the fairing) wind pressure above 55 mph pushed the cover into his brake lever and applied some front brake.He has since built a guard to prevent that (sent me pics last night) so I assume on todays ride he will be sporting them

and the original Hippo Hands were made by Craig Vetter and the Vetter Fairing Co. and they indeed went out of business a long time ago. There is a Canadian company making a set called Hippo Hands last time I looked but the quality in not nearly as good as the originals. They use them a lot on snowmobiles I am told...and ATV's
 
I think if I consistently rode in the cold I'd (reluctantly) deal my long-suffering CB another aesthetic blow and install a set of Guyra Gauntlets.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus I'd much prefer not riding in weather under 70 degrees..no hippo hands, no electrics, not balaclavas, no thick anything. Unfortunately where I live those conditions come about 90 days a year I think. LOL

111 miles today to start off 2015 right :thumbsup:
 
111 x 365 = 40,515. :thumbsup:

Way better than me, Ferret. Haven't been on the bike yet, even though it's 2 January here.
 
Back
Top