I don't understand

paulw_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The dominant modification to these bikes is to try and invoke the early 70s CB750. To me looking at my 2013 bike it is much closer to the late 70s early 80s CB750F. DOHC engine, tank that is closer to the 80s as opposed to the 70s and wheels that invoke the original comstar ones.. I wish there was more available for that transformation.
 
I would respectfully suggest there is only so far Honda can turn the clock back because ( if memory serves) a lot of the early 70's jap stuff was two stroke, had drum brakes, single overhead cams, very skinny forks and hinged frames. No-one really wants any of that back in a modern machine (do they?) but if you do then I suppose you have to buy a genuine 45year old machine and either restore it yourself or get one thats already done. I read somewhere that sometimes things just dont go well together and never look quite right and the example given was fitting a ZXR750 front end with upside down forks onto an original Z900 and personally I have to agree. It clashes. Anyhow you are probably right the latest CB is pitched towards the late 70's but i feel its very authentic and thats cool with me.
 
Some have gone that route but most mods are for comfort, sound or a modest gain in performance. Honda designed the CB as a tribute to all the early in line 4's I think. It's really nice that there are so many ways to make it your own.
 
ACTUALLY, it's really refreshing hearing this, because i thought the exact same thing the first time I took my black '14 home. with the exception of the rear fender, it looks strikingly like an 80's CB750SS or CB1100F. I'm actually in the process of changing my rear fender out for a small fairing/cowl that looks a bit more like the F's!

you can force the bike to look like the 70's models if you spend 4-5k on a K10 conversion kit from Whitehouse, but for my money, bringing out the 80's is definitely the way to go.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
ACTUALLY, it's really refreshing hearing this, because i thought the exact same thing the first time I took my black '14 home. with the exception of the rear fender, it looks strikingly like an 80's CB750SS or CB1100F. I'm actually in the process of changing my rear fender out for a small fairing/cowl that looks a bit more like the F's!

you can force the bike to look like the 70's models if you spend 4-5k on a K10 conversion kit from Whitehouse, but for my money, bringing out the 80's is definitely the way to go.

fa30c0f82a5640b21fa5a806c66e383d.jpg


1cd9870dc5451b061cb81e0682fba7d2.jpg




:thumbsup:
 
paulw_imp said:
The dominant modification to these bikes is to try and invoke the early 70s CB750. To me looking at my 2013 bike it is much closer to the late 70s early 80s CB750F. DOHC engine, tank that is closer to the 80s as opposed to the 70s and wheels that invoke the original comstar ones.. I wish there was more available for that transformation.
Discounting RLETs, I'd guess that the dominant modification to these bikes would be something like windscreens. But that's just a guess. Seat changes also would probably rank pretty high too. The CB1100 invokes cues from many different CB designs of the past (as you've pointed out). I think the number of people trying to change these bikes up to be more more "70's" in appearance has more to do with the forum's demographics than the CB1100 itself.

What many people have pointed out over the years here on the forum is that the CB1100 provides a great canvas to modify as they wish and I do think this holds true. But as with any design that I'm immediately drawn to, most of those modifications only serve to decrease the appeal this motorcycle has to me personally. After looking over a friend's vintage CB750 earlier this week, I can definitely see what some people are going for (and also how far away they still are, lol).
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
EBay


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see, so I can infer that it's an OEM part. I took a stab in the dark at a 1978 CB750k diagram and found these two parts: 87127-405-000, and 87126-405-000 that seem to look a lot like what you've got there. Ebay search is turning up dry, and it's not available on any parts website. guess you win this round :-p
 
Guth_imp said:
paulw_imp said:
The dominant modification to these bikes is to try and invoke the early 70s CB750. To me looking at my 2013 bike it is much closer to the late 70s early 80s CB750F. DOHC engine, tank that is closer to the 80s as opposed to the 70s and wheels that invoke the original comstar ones.. I wish there was more available for that transformation.
Discounting RLETs, I'd guess that the dominant modification to these bikes would be something like windscreens. But that's just a guess. Seat changes also would probably rank pretty high too. The CB1100 invokes cues from many different CB designs of the past (as you've pointed out). I think the number of people trying to change these bikes up to be more more "70's" in appearance has more to do with the forum's demographics than the CB1100 itself.

What many people have pointed out over the years here on the forum is that the CB1100 provides a great canvas to modify as they wish and I do think this holds true. But as with any design that I'm immediately drawn to, most of those modifications only serve to decrease the appeal this motorcycle has to me personally. After looking over a friend's vintage CB750 earlier this week, I can definitely see what some people are going for (and also how far away they still are, lol).
In my case you're right. Don't like to hang like an ape in the wind all the time. That's my personal necessity.
I guess saddlebags and crash bars are often used modifications too. The CB bears all this and much more with great pride and elegance, no matter how far out the personal taste reaches. And I've seen very strange things on the Honda, there's no end to it.

Wisedrum
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
EBay


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see, so I can infer that it's an OEM part. I took a stab in the dark at a 1978 CB750k diagram and found these two parts: 87127-405-000, and 87126-405-000 that seem to look a lot like what you've got there. Ebay search is turning up dry, and it's not available on any parts website. guess you win this round :-p
I just typed in honda fork badge and bought the one I thought would look best. There are several different ones.

It came with a bracket that I bent and drilled to make work. Probably made in China. ;)
 
Yes, I really like the look of that bike too! I was getting kind of focused on the red ones, but that black one looks really sweet!!
 
It is a really good example of what appeals to me about this bike.

1. Old School Cool
2. Ability to personalize
3. Modern reliability and performance

Can get rid of both Harley and Versys. Have one bike that serves both purposes.

However, I do not look forward to selling Versys and Harley.
 
Nicely done PowerDubs. By including one of my favorite features of the '13 model, you've dramatically changed the look of your '14 model.
 
Back
Top