Hunting rpm

johnf514_imp said:
Hello all, first time poster, owner of a 2014 CB1100 since Feb 2016. Bike is at the dealership for a second time with this issue.

First time, the ECU was "fried" and replaced under warranty. The high idle issue (+1500 RPMs in neutral, surging to +2000 RPM when shifted into gear, using more fuel than usual, behavior worsening as bike is ridden longer) resolved itself after the ECU was replaced. The issue returned after ~2 months.

I have asked the dealer to specifically look at the IACV, and to NOT ONLY replace the ECU, but also the IACV, hoping this resolves the issue.

Fortunately the bike is warrantied through May 2017. My experience with this bike has been great, aside from these issues. I've installed the SW Motech crash bars and modified the CTX700 $50 rear seat and rack to fit the bike.

Loads of fun, I love riding it (talked to motogeezer before buying), but these issues are making the CB1100 a struggle to fall in love with.
Please explain the CTX700 seat/rack mod or post picture of same.
 
Thanks all. Hoping to hear from the dealership this week on what needs to be done. I'll update here.

EmptySea, I actually got the idea from this forum. I can't find the thread, but another user bought the TMS Backrest Sissy Bar w/ Luggage Rack for the Honda Shadow VLX600 (screwed up my bike name earlier, apologies) on Amazon for $50. Looks like it is currently unavailable for sale, but I bet you can find it elsewhere.

As you all know, our selection for rear passenger/luggage options is limited and expensive. I took the brackets for the TMS Backrest to a local fabricator and for $20, they cut new holes and cut off the excess metal to fit around the turn signals. Fit like a glove after that.

I'll add photos when I get the bike back. Very easy and inexpensive way to get a rear seat backrest and a luggage rack on our bikes.
 
I've seen the Shadow rack/backrest mod. I was only interested because you said CTX which is my wife's bike.
 
Still waiting on Honda to examine the IACV and determine what the problem is. The ECU was reset and the bike has been test ridden several times, without the issue returning. However, the ECU was previously replaced by Honda a couple of months ago, and the issue returned.

Hopefully the next few days will shed more light on the issue. Honda also noticed that the fork seals are leaking, and I hope to have those replaced under warranty as well.

I don't want the bike back until the issue has been permanently resolved. I worry that Honda will do the same thing (ECU reset/replacement) and nothing else. The definition of insanity. If it returns for a third time (I have a year left on the warranty, thankfully), I'll have the bike repaired, again, and will jump ship to a XSR900. Hopefully, this is not the case.
 
Took delivery of the bike on Saturday. Apparently the dealer had been testing it for a couple weeks and could not replicate the idle condition after resetting the ECM. I'll gladly test it further for them.

Bike runs as it should, no issues after +75 miles of riding over the weekend. I'll put it through it's paces and see how it goes. Odds are the condition will return within 90 days if at all.

Was a bit peeved when the tech tried to explain away the issue as a result of the hot weather in FL. Sorry buddy, I think Honda, a major automotive and powersports manufacturer for +50 years, would have thought of that. Don't blow smoke up my tailpipe.

One note, they noticed the left fork seal is leaking, but would not replace under warranty. Has anyone had any success at getting Honda to replace fork seals under the Honda Protection Plan?
 
Hi Folks,

So my 2014 standard was idling at about 1500 the last few days. The temps are cool in the a.m., but warm in the p.m. while I'm traveling to and from work. I came on here and read the bit about the TPS reset and tried it this morning before going to work. Turn the ignition on, turn the throttle open slowly 3 times, then turn the ignition off again and try it. Now everything cycles as normal, but when I hit the starter, I get nothing. Swapped out batteries with no change in results. Does anyone have any thoughts on WTF I've done?

Thanks!
Paul

Never mind. I bumped it into gear. :blush: Starts fine in neutral :blush: And idles correctly.

Cheers.
 
:rofl: Been there! WE all have I think at one point or another. THat and the dang emergency kill switch.

My personal foible is to try and put it in gear to take off when the side stand is still down, which of course kills the motor right away. Do it on both bikes. YOu'd think by now I would know better but Nooooooooooolo
 
The ferret_imp said:
:rofl: Been there! WE all have I think at one point or another. THat and the dang emergency kill switch.

My personal foible is to try and put it in gear to take off when the side stand is still down, which of course kills the motor right away. Do it on both bikes. YOu'd think by now I would know better but Nooooooooooolo
Haha. I do this all the time. All my old bikes had no safety switch, so my usual routine has always been neutral, start, first gear, stand up, ride off. I've stalled the CB going into first at least 4 or 5 times already, always when there is an audience of course...
 
I've had two kinds of bikes: the kind where I occasionally kill the motor by shifting into gear with the side-stand down, and the kind where I occasionally scare the sh*t out of myself using the street to raise the side-stand. :)
 
This forum is a source of great comfort. One is never alone. :angel:
 
Well, the high idle is back again. This is the third time it has returned. I will take the bike to Honda tomorrow to have it fixed, again, under warranty. I will then sell the bike. The CB1100 is a great motorcycle, but mine is not.
 
Well, the high idle is back again. This is the third time it has returned. I will take the bike to Honda tomorrow to have it fixed, again, under warranty. I will then sell the bike. The CB1100 is a great motorcycle, but mine is not.

Have you had the Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor checked? I don't remember if it was part of this thread, but another member traced his high idle speed to a faulty EOT sensor. BTY - I feel similarly about my 2014 Dlx. The idle speed goes high, then it goes low and stalls, and then it acts normally. It had been running perfectly for the past month but yesterday the slow idle / stalling returned again. This condition seems to be associated with around town and slow speed riding in first and second gears. I would say it was related to temperature, but it was a cool day yesterday when it happened again. Good luck.
 
johnf514_imp said:
Well, the high idle is back again. This is the third time it has returned. I will take the bike to Honda tomorrow to have it fixed, again, under warranty. I will then sell the bike. The CB1100 is a great motorcycle, but mine is not.
hi, i used to have high idel same you, but solve by upgrade ecu software by honda now very happy with my bike.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
 
Dave, thanks for the input. I'll ask the dealer about that today when I stop by. They keep resetting the ECU, but the problem returns after 3-4 months.

Tory, thank you for the input. I'll ask about upgrading the software too.

My real concern is that Honda is owning the problem. This is a bike under their warranty, and they keep treating the symptom, not the cause. Coupled with the fact that I don't trust and enjoying riding that bike, it will take a serious show of support for them to convince me to keep the bike.
 
hi, the vdo before upgrade ecu firmware, now only 1000/rmp i ride veryday in bangkok city thailand the land 1st traffic jam in the world.



 
My 2014 EX started before the software update with about 1200 to 1300upm when cold. Warm was 1000. Now start cold with 1400 to 1500. Warm is same as before. Best regards Stefan


Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
 
Just heard back from Honda, they are replacing the entire throttle body. Apparently the IACV was faulty. Double checking the EOT as well.
 
I wonder why they change out the entire throttle body if only the IACV is bad. That's an expensive part. I'm glad you are under warranty!
 
I just looked yesterday, my DLX is about 1200-1300 on warm up and 1000 when warm.
 
Back
Top