Hunting rpm

Jeffhark_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello fellow CB riders,
Here is my current symptoms on my 2014 cb1100. I start my machine up let it do its warm up and it drops to the normal 1100 rpm then I take off come to a stop sign or traffic light and it pops back up to the rpm range as if the motor was cold (1500 rpm's) so I go in for what's wrong with it on Tuesday the 2nd wish me luck hope Honda covers it under warranty!!!
 
Yea mine does that too sometimes, but only at the first stop that is .7 miles from my drive. My theory is that the initial rush of air running over the cylinders cools it enough to think that its not warmed up yet so the electronics steps up the idle a bit. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Let is know what Honda says
 
Thread starter
Ferret thank you but that doesn't worry you a bit? Your theory makes sense but I won't know until it warms up a little but thanks for the kind words
 
No doesn't worry me Jeff. I have 18,000 miles on my bike and its done it since day one. Being air cooled I don't let it warm up very long, but try and get air flowing over the cylinder pretty quickly. Although I'm sure a longer warm up wouldn't hurt it either. Only notice it occasionally, when I slow down for this one curve about .4 mile after taking off. Once I leave that stop sign, the next stop is 1 mile one direction and 2 miles the other direction and it has never gone to high idle at either of those stops.
 
I've never experienced the hunting sensation.
My bike runs at a constant rpm above idle rpm for quite a while until it reaches a certain temperature level before dropping back to idle.
I don't bother to warm up my bikes because I have to negotiate residential stop signs, slow city traffic 50 kph (30 mph) and traffic lights on my way out of town so they have plenty of time to warm up before I can get up to cruising speeds.
 
I probably would not describe what mine does as hunting, which to me indicates a back and forth rpm level, but at certain times, (maybe 1 out of 100) first start in the morning I will start the bike, let it warm up for a minute and then take off, 25 mph limit on the street. When I get to the first sharp curve in my street .4 mi from the house I back off but the idle still seems to be in the high mode, when I thought it had dropped before I took off. By the time I get to the stop in another .3 everything is at low idle. Have never felt the high idle past that stop sign.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I probably would not describe what mine does as hunting, which to me indicates a back and forth rpm level, but at certain times, (maybe 1 out of 100) first start in the morning I will start the bike, let it warm up for a minute and then take off, 25 mph limit on the street. When I get to the first sharp curve in my street .4 mi from the house I back off but the idle still seems to be in the high mode, when I thought it had dropped before I took off. By the time I get to the stop in another .3 everything is at low idle. Have never felt the high idle past that stop sign.
It's a lot warmer in Ohio than it is here on the Atlantic coast which is probably why my bike runs at a higher idle for a bit longer.
The starting procedure for my EFI CB900F is to pull on the choke and let the engine run for 15 seconds and then push it off. The engine immediately settles down to a nice idle and I'm off.
The CB does its own thing.
 
Thread starter
Well tomorrow is the day to see what it is but what ferret says makes sense to me but maybe it could be something else. Just would like to have it looked at thanks fellas and maybe gals
 
Let us know what they say. Heck I could have been riding around on a defective bike for the last year lol
 
Turn your ignition switch on. Wait till the startup cycle is complete. Do not start the engine. Slowly turn your throttle open and closed three times. Turn your ignition off. Now try it.
 
TPS recalibration. Let's the ECU know the min/max values. And everything in between. Remaps it.
 
Well, if you do it and it takes care of your problem, the dealer won't find anything. OTOH, I doubt they will anyway. There is no idle adjustment. The ECU drives the IACV. I haven't read up on it in the service manual for a while, but I think mostly it says to check a few things, then change the IACV.

If it's going in tomorrow, I'd say let them look at it then do the TPS reset later. You can do it anytime you want.
 
I do that procedure every couple of months but can't really say I feel any difference in how my bike runs after doing it
 
Ferret, me too with the same result :). A couple guys here said it cured whatever problem they had though.

Jeff, if your dealer is like mine, I imagine they will hook up the HDS, see no fault codes, go for a test ride and then say all is well. Please keep us informed with what they say.
 
Back
Top