How to tell if has ABS

Elipten_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I just bought a used CB1100 on Saturday from a used motorcycle shop that was selling the motorcycle on ebay for a customer. The stickers on the gas tank were removed and there was no information on the ebay page that teh bike had ABS.

When I typed in the VIN on the Texas DMV page to determine value for taxes when I transfer the title it came up listing the bike as an ABS model.

I do not think that is the case but how can I check visually?
 
First of all congrats and welcome.

There will be a slotted ring on both the front and rear wheels. If it is not abs the slotted wheel will only be on the rear wheel
 
The ferret_imp said:
First of all congrats and welcome.

There will be a slotted ring on both the front and rear wheels. If it is not abs the slotted wheel will only be on the rear wheel
That's right.A kind of mini gear sprocket.
 
Yeah I'm confused on this as well. When I bought my bike, brand new, the sales person said it was not an abs model, and I paid the non abs price. But then the guys in the service dept said it was an ABS model. I've heard the abs models have a light that says abs on the dash board that comes on when the bike is started. Mine doesn't have this light, so I have no idea what I got.
 
GIXXERMAN_imp said:
Yeah I'm confused on this as well. When I bought my bike, brand new, the sales person said it was not an abs model, and I paid the non abs price. But then the guys in the service dept said it was an ABS model. I've heard the abs models have a light that says abs on the dash board that comes on when the bike is started. Mine doesn't have this light, so I have no idea what I got.
Mine has ABS. Light on dash and front pulser ring with speed sensor. If you do not have these you do not have ABS.
 
dailyrider_imp said:
GIXXERMAN_imp said:
Yeah I'm confused on this as well. When I bought my bike, brand new, the sales person said it was not an abs model, and I paid the non abs price. But then the guys in the service dept said it was an ABS model. I've heard the abs models have a light that says abs on the dash board that comes on when the bike is started. Mine doesn't have this light, so I have no idea what I got.
Mine has ABS. Light on dash and front pulser ring with speed sensor. If you do not have these you do not have ABS.
Mine has ABS. Light on dash and front pulser ring with speed sensor. If you do not have these you do not have ABS.
I've never had ABS brakes.I keep reading how a must they are
for a bike.They are also kind of expensive.What a $ 1,ooo.
But keep in mind,that ABS is Very Computer linked.it literally
is exclusively dependent on whatever computer hookup
manages it.So if you have a problem with an ABS you have
to know the correct procedure to get it back to normal.
Plug in the wrong stuff { or push the wrong buttons } and you
won't have any brakes.Might not be able to move a bike.
Could freeze the brakes.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all. The bike does not have ABS, and so much for Texas VIN system or the VIN system in general as my guess they pull the info from a database.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
_imp said:
dailyrider_imp said:
GIXXERMAN_imp said:
Yeah I'm confused on this as well. When I bought my bike, brand new, the sales person said it was not an abs model, and I paid the non abs price. But then the guys in the service dept said it was an ABS model. I've heard the abs models have a light that says abs on the dash board that comes on when the bike is started. Mine doesn't have this light, so I have no idea what I got.
Mine has ABS. Light on dash and front pulser ring with speed sensor. If you do not have these you do not have ABS.
Mine has ABS. Light on dash and front pulser ring with speed sensor. If you do not have these you do not have ABS.
I've never had ABS brakes.I keep reading how a must they are
for a bike.They are also kind of expensive.What a $ 1,ooo.
But keep in mind,that ABS is Very Computer linked.it literally
is exclusively dependent on whatever computer hookup
manages it.So if you have a problem with an ABS you have
to know the correct procedure to get it back to normal.
Plug in the wrong stuff { or push the wrong buttons } and you
won't have any brakes.Might not be able to move a bike.
Could freeze the brakes.
Mine has ABS. Light on dash and front pulser ring with speed sensor. If you do not have these you do not have ABS.
I've never had ABS brakes.I keep reading how a must they are
for a bike.They are also kind of expensive.What a $ 1,ooo.
But keep in mind,that ABS is Very Computer linked.it literally
is exclusively dependent on whatever computer hookup
manages it.So if you have a problem with an ABS you have
to know the correct procedure to get it back to normal.
Plug in the wrong stuff { or push the wrong buttons } and you
won't have any brakes.Might not be able to move a bike.
Could freeze the brakes.
the "ABS System" is totally independent in any Brake System of motorcyles,cars,trucks. So lets just say ABS fails it does not mean you will "NOT" have brakes. It just means that the pulsating effect on abs and sensors that detect slippage will not work but you will still have regular coventional brakes.

Now if you have ABS, TRACTION CONTROL and VSA which are electronically tied in together and lets say ABS causes a malfunction then there is a likely chance that Traction control and vsa is affected....



Back to topic... I thought I scored when I bought my CB1100 thinking they sold me an ABS model... You are not alone :D
 
I believe (but not 100% certain) that the ABS models have a tube that "combines" both calipers on the front. Here is a pic of mine with ABS. Anyone with non-ABS have this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Those are hydraulic brake fluid hoses. My NON ABS has separate brake fluid hoses running from each caliper up to a junction bolted to the center of the lower triple tree.

Wow that looks like a pretty complicated system, I 'd like to see better, clearer close up with better light pics of that sometime if you get the chance.
 
I stepped out to the garage and took
a few more. Will have better lighting tomorrow.

I'll check tomorrow to see if anything connects to the rear brake. I think Front and rear are linked in the combined ABS


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's pretty complicated because it's also a linked breaking system.
 
Wonder how hard that would be to bleed?
 
He could have just slammed on the brakes on wet pavement....maybe easier to look for the slotted ring, though. ;)
 
Nice try. The rear wheel sensor IS only for the speedo/odometer......and the speed limiter.

and don't stomp the rear and expect it not to skid.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Nice try. The rear wheel sensor IS only for the speedo/odometer......and the speed limiter.

and don't stomp the rear and expect it not to skid.
I thought the electronic speedos on recent Honda bikes uses a sensor on the transmission 'output shaft', i.e., something in the gearbox?
 
Back
Top