How to ruin perfectly good curvy roads

Man! Look at the tar snakes!
b130dcad3be8908c9d63cb3f68e1f79e.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
mtneers_imp said:
Man! Look at the tar snakes!
b130dcad3be8908c9d63cb3f68e1f79e.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah but they are not the slick kind.
 
Not even when they get hot or wet?
 
Thread starter
no Cormanus, when they are brand new they are kinda slick but once a few months old they are not slick
 
All praise to Ohio's road authorities. :worship:
 
There are soooo many beautiful canyons to ride in Utah. In the summer, those canyons are filled with motorhomes and big fifth wheel trailers going at a snail's pace around the turns. That's when it's time to switch to the dirtbike. No road = no traffic!
 
I’ll tell you what is worse. One of those big crane trucks. It took him almost the entire light cycle just to clear the intersection. It was so slow I turned to get away from it and felt bad for the loooong line of cars behind him.
 
Tar snakes, hate 'em! When I ride the boonies, I will pass a slow-moving vehicle when it is safe to do so. Sometimes the slow mover will move to the right or use a turnout for you. One thing that does scare me is: On some of our very local twisties, Turnbull Cyn Rd, which run thru some hills with houses, someone has laid down what appears to be used motor oil in the turns, and I've also seen sand scattered over curves. It's the locals, tired of the early morning crotch-rocket crowd buzzing thru there. When I ride twisties, I ride The Pace, which is finding a good average speed and staying in the same gear all the time and using only engine braking, almost never touching the brakes.
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Tar snakes, hate 'em! When I ride the boonies, I will pass a slow-moving vehicle when it is safe to do so. Sometimes the slow mover will move to the right or use a turnout for you. One thing that does scare me is: On some of our very local twisties, Turnbull Cyn Rd, which run thru some hills with houses, someone has laid down what appears to be used motor oil in the turns, and I've also seen sand scattered over curves. It's the locals, tired of the early morning crotch-rocket crowd buzzing thru there. When I ride twisties, I ride The Pace, which is finding a good average speed and staying in the same gear all the time and using only engine braking, almost never touching the brakes.
:@ geez that's bad.

Saw that done once down on the Dragon in N.C. where someone poured oil on a sharp right hand curve. Ended up it was a local tired of being passed by sportbikes passing him on the double yellow.

Another hazard from today's ride:

How about a trailer full of split firewood looking like it would fall off any second (none did )

35bca7b6d2e016e08238c00490f1b8b4.jpg
 
Leaking diesel is my big fear. That stuff is super slickery. The worst is when it collects around gas pumps where the concrete is smooth. But anywhere on the road is so sketchy.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Leaking diesel is my big fear. That stuff is super slickery. The worst is when it collects around gas pumps where the concrete is smooth. But anywhere on the road is so sketchy.

Toll booths....
eac676d3345b42e23cc38a8dfea44591.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hit some transmission fluid twice, once at red light right turn at night. I let out the clutch and the bike just kept coming around then fell on its side. A few scratches, no real harm done, then at Rio Hondo JC, I was traveling up an entrance road with two tight turns. I leaned into the first one and lowsided. The bike kept going and bounced off a curb and I was sprawled in the road. I checked the spot, and there was a puddle of tranny fluid. Not a single person asked if I OK, and I picked it up and continued, bruised and sore, but nothing serious.
 
I work for a drag racing organization. When we run a race, the worst possible thing that a car can do is dump transmission fluid on the track. It's a nightmare to clean off and make the track stick again.

Then, I figured out that drag racing does it all wrong... I worked a NASA roadrace event, and found out that those guys charge the racer by the foot for fluid cleanup on the track.
 
Thread starter
My son hit some coolant in a slow S curve 2 years ago on his FJ09 and he said it put him down so fast he had no chance. One second up, the next second the front end slid away and down he went. Wasn't hurt other than some rash, picked the bike up and on the other end of the S curve was the broken down car with hood up and blown radiator hose.
 
Back
Top