pannierbagger
New to the forum
Thread starter
Purchased a 2014 E with about 8k on it last August. Dealer told me it had “fresh oil.” A few days ago I went to change the oil and the drain plug was pretty tight. I got it to start loosening but now it just spins between loose and tight, not getting any lower.
I’m thinking about replacing the whole pan, as a used one in good shape is around 50 dollars shipped. I can’t find a good step-by-step guide though.
I know the gist of it would be: remove plug with downward pressure, drain oil, remove exhaust, remove bolts, wack with 2x4 or similar around seal, remove pan, clean mating surface on bike and new pan, apply sealant, apply bolts to torque spec and make sure new plug is torqued to 22 ft-lbs, add 4.1 quarts oil
Is there anything I’m missing/need to add/change? Should I ask a shop to install a helicoil instead of changing the pan? Thank you
I’m thinking about replacing the whole pan, as a used one in good shape is around 50 dollars shipped. I can’t find a good step-by-step guide though.
I know the gist of it would be: remove plug with downward pressure, drain oil, remove exhaust, remove bolts, wack with 2x4 or similar around seal, remove pan, clean mating surface on bike and new pan, apply sealant, apply bolts to torque spec and make sure new plug is torqued to 22 ft-lbs, add 4.1 quarts oil
Is there anything I’m missing/need to add/change? Should I ask a shop to install a helicoil instead of changing the pan? Thank you