How to empty the fuel tank?

Ulljanrich_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Good evening!
Is there any trick how to empty the fuel tank of my CB 1100 RS?

I need to remove the tank in order to get access to the winker relay, which I have to change.

But the taking off of the fuel tank is rather difficult when it is filled. Too stupid, but I didnt know that will have to be done before I filled it up for its hibernation.

My Honda snow blowers or my Honda lawn mower have these screws: you open them and all fuel comes out easily. Does the CB have this also although it has fuel injection?

Happy for all help and good advice:
Thomas
 
Unfortunately NOT.

I have a Facet "Fuel It" that I purchased a decade ago, but unfortunately it is no longer manufactured. It is unmatched for filling or emptying! Look around there may be some used or another new item more costly and not as good.
 
Perhaps a hydraulic brake bleeder could be used , you might have to empty the small tank a few times but the little tube will get into the tank Of course you need an air compressor to create vacuum for the bleeder.
 
How about this?

All my fuel related stuff is done outside away from buildings and with a hose at the ready.
Merry christmas.
 
max_imp said:
How about this?

All my fuel related stuff is done outside away from buildings and with a hose at the ready.
Merry christmas.
Goodness, an early Christmas present! I do so like the internet.
 
If it were my bike and had to empty tank prior removal, I would; hook up my battery charger, remove FP relay, loop harness side - 2 prongs of relay's switch circuit and let the pump do its job while watching. If fuel flow was interrupted after several seconds due to ECU action, I would apply B+ directly to fuel pump power wire, while ground still connected.
Proper fire extinguisher nearby, if dealing with fuel.
 
max_imp said:
How about this?

All my fuel related stuff is done outside away from buildings and with a hose at the ready.
Merry christmas.
You mean Loony Tunes has been teaching our kids the wrong way all these decades?

Dang!

- - -

No smoking people when siphoning fuel. Ah, right, vaping. Well in case there is an arc or "glow plug" inside your vaporizer, no vaping people when siphoning fuel.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
How about this?

All my fuel related stuff is done outside away from buildings and with a hose at the ready.
Merry christmas.
Hi Max,
this is how it worked easily. I am astonished.
Thank you!
Easy, no electricity, no machine pump needed.
Simple end effective.
Tank was totally empty in lees than 5 minutes.
Only thing I had to do was putting the tube on one side and then on the other side of the tank to make sure everything comes out.

Thank all the others here for their good advice of course.

There is a nice product I found out in the meantime, made in germany and sold there also. With it you can avoid the fun to take a nice taste of fresh fuel...:thumbsup:
https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/huenersdorff-professional-syphon-pump-transparent/10003204

Wish you a very peaceful holidays
Thomas

P.S. My flasher/ winker relay is changed now, I could lift the empty tank to work on that, and the german made "Kellermann Bullet" turn signals can be installed now. I checked the functionality with new releay and now the flashing rate is as it should be. I had a problem with that before in the first "dry" test...
Will post pics once the new turn signals are installed. Best thing about them is the plus in security as they have a position light, yellow, bright, round, highly visible and nice design in my opinion.
See what it looked like on my BMW R9T Scrambler... the bottom ones are the ones I mean, top position lights are extra...
 
Glad it worked for you uljanrich, i usually have a different hose but i liked the idea of a long clear hose and not getting a mouthful.
Thanks for the feedback letting us know how things worked out, we appreciate that.

Several ways would work equally well but this one was new to me and worth mentioning, there are two baffles inside the tank that make it difficult to get everything out but most of it is not hard to do.

Seems you got the fuel hose connector sorted out which can be a bit of a puzzle the first time, all the best!
 
I was using 2 pipes and wiper.
Long pipe for petrol.
Short pipe for blowing air i to the tank.
Wiper for insulating pipes and fuel filler.
Just blow, make an air preasure i to the tank untill gravity will do rest of the job.
Works allso if You want to fill the tank back from canister.
 
Wiper, think is a rag, he puts around 2 hoses to seal filler neck (wiper for insulating pipes and fuel filler) in order to create pressure to pump out gas.
 
Thread starter
syncronizator_imp said:
Wiper... Just piece of cotton material, old t-shirt etc...
Sorry Max for my English.
Sometimes simple and basic words are out of my vocabulay.
:thumbsup:
When I started the thread with my question I have told that I want to chenge the turn-signal relay.
Now, that I have done and the front turn signals are mounted now.
I have some pics, not really good quality, but it becomes visible.
The front lights are completely changed now. Headlight is from J.W. Speaker (USA), turn-signales are from Kellermann Modell is called Bullet (Germany), and additional fog lights are also from Kellermann, Modell is called "Atto WL Dark" (dark because of their blackish glas finish).

I must confess, I am a little bit of a light fetishist.
I have heard many times that quite some accidents happen due to "unseen" motorcycles. Against this, I thought, enogh light can help.
Plus: I like very much the appearance of the yellow position lights. They are street legal in EU since 2014.
The "fog" light (as I call them) are actually also position lights, but as I have built in a switch, I can turn them on/off to my desire.
The yellow positions lights which are circle-like and built in the the turn signals, they are on as soon as the key is "on".







And with the "fog lights"...
These are as small as a very small coin.
Hope it is good enough for first impression.
Now I shall install the rear "Bullets".

All Kellermann lights are so bright, so much brighter than stock signals and lights - you will be seen.

To be honest, in comparison with the poor headlight the rear light of the CB 1100 RS is not bad, really it is ok. But as I changed for the front Bullets I want a clean design and I like the 2-light-rear-end design al lot also...





 
Back
Top