How to change front brake pads 2013 abs ?

562loosenoodle_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have searched and there isn’t a post that I could find that show how to change out the front brake pads on a 13 w abs.

Is it easy? Do I need to bleed the brakes? Does anyone have a service manual they would be willing to scan and send me the relevant pages?

Thanks so much!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Changing brake pads does not require you to bleed the system, but as you push the pistons back into their bores, you need to be careful to not allow the brake fluid to overflow in the reservoir (master cylinder). I have a factory service manual but am hesitant to scan and post the pages in fear of violating copywrite laws, which I respect. Someone else will chime in and give you what you need.
 
Changing brake pads is generally easy, with the abs version you have either 3 pistons on one side of the brake housing
or the standard two piston caliper.

The two piston caliper is the same as the non abs version and looks like this;


To replace the pads you unscrew the two special bolts with a 5 mm. allen hex wrench, take the spring plate off, slide the old pads out through the top and clean the dust off the pistons before pushing them back into the housing.

Then push all four pistons back in to the housing to make room for the thicker new pads.

Insert the new pads, push the bolts back in to hold the new pads in place without screwing them in and pump the handle to press the new pads in place, if you hold the pads in place it will be easyer to put the springplate back with the arrow pointing up, when i put the spring plate back i usually put the bottom bolt in first because it goes in easyer.

this is how the pads sit in the brake housing and how the bolts support them;






I use a little grease on the threaded part of the bolts to keep any oxidation at bay and if all looks right and the brake works and releases ok it is time to tighten the two bolts with the 5 mm. allen key, no need to over do it, just a firm fit so they won't undo themselves.

You always have the other brake caliper as an example to see if things are the right way round, one at a time .

If this sounds too complicated it may be wise to seek some help from someone who has done it before.
 
I use blue locktite instead of grease on these two bolts that keep the pads in.

Also, while you have your hands dirty, why not change and bleed the brakes? On a ‘13 abs it’s no harder than the non abs and brake fluid is an often neglected maintenance item that if done at the right interval, will prevent a lot of unnecessary problems.
 
562

Check your PMs
 
At hw many miles and what did the pads look like?
 
Congrats 562!!

I sent my last PM before I read you already did the job. Sorry...
 
Nice vid. Yea, your old pads had a lot of life left in them. They were about 1/2 worn. You can wear them down until there is no groove left between the pads. So don't throw those old pads out, you can reuse them. They are probably good for another 10,000 miles.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, when I pulled the pads they looked good, but figured since the bike is new to me might as well finish the job and put the new pads on. I will save the pads that I removed. Thanks for all the help. I was having trouble believing that it was so easy to change the pads. Seriously easiest brake job I have ever done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
562 what brand were your pads? Also is that the standard way to change pads ? I thought that the calipers needed to come off. I like the method you used .
 
Thread starter
I try to use Honda parts for everything. So those were stock Honda pads.

From the information I found in the service manual, yes that is the correct way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good video loose noodle, you cleared up some of the mystique in this clip, yours is brake assist abs, the one i could not find info on the net, congratulations on the brake job. :thumbsup:
 
It is interesting that the manual procedure for the ‘13 ABS model does not require removal of the caliper bodies.

And yet—next page for the ‘13 standard model—first step is to remove the caliper bodies. (Ok, first step is loosen pad pins)

Rear doesn’t require caliper body removal for either model.
 
Thread starter
@popgun

Yes, this is why it was confusing for me too. I was ready to take it to my DIY shop in Eagle Rock to have them double check my work while I was changing the pads. Eventually, I just had faith (and some help from this group) and it was as simple as it says. Anyway, sorry the video is kind of lame, it was just me and my iPhone...
 
Back
Top