How To :19 tooth front, and now, a 37 tooth rear sprocket on 2013

This is similar to my question on my follow on 35T thread.

Question for any that may know, I was planning on breaking the 530 chain, shorten, and add a new master link, but the stock 530 appears to "works" with the 19/37 combo. "Works" - from the pics, it appears the rear axle needs to be moved aft 3/8" to 1/2" for proper chain tension. How much is then available for future use as the chain stretches?

Is there an equivalent new chain available for my 19/35 combo that would eliminate the need to break the chain - 520, 510?

Chip, how long have you had your sprockets? I assume they are steel & no Rust is visible.
Were they zinc plated?
 
rbike_imp said:
This is similar to my question on my follow on 35T thread.

Question for any that may know, I was planning on breaking the 530 chain, shorten, and add a new master link, but the stock 530 appears to "works" with the 19/37 combo. "Works" - from the pics, it appears the rear axle needs to be moved aft 3/8" to 1/2" for proper chain tension. How much is then available for future use as the chain stretches?

Is there an equivalent new chain available for my 19/35 combo that would eliminate the need to break the chain - 520, 510?

Chip, how long have you had your sprockets? I assume they are steel & no Rust is visible.
Were they zinc plated?
RBike,

I think I've had that sprocket on for about a year. I don't know for sure but I thought it was stainless steel and it's clear coated as well but obviously clear coat would come off the teeth immediately. There is not a spec of rust on them. There is no master link on a CB11 chain. It is an endless chain.

Chip
 
Thanks Chip, I recall the installed 530 chain is one piece without a master, so I am looking for another 530 chain that is still a continuous chain, but shorter vs. cutting and adding a master.

There is a local MC mod/repair facility that has the proper tools (like at http://www.didchain.com/chainTools.html - vs. me buying it) and experience to shorten the chain, but I am also trying to find a shorter chain if possible. I'm just a little OCD regarding doing it properly the first time. I learned early in life that being ---- is more costly in the long run.

7th Gear Design is manufacturing mine also. It would be great if he is using stainless.
 
Does anyone know if 7th Gear Designs is still around. I have failed to make any connection with the company for two weeks now. Emails and voice mail messages are never returned. I would really like to have a set of sprockets but am about to give up on it.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Does anyone know if 7th Gear Designs is still around. I have failed to make any connection with the company for two weeks now. Emails and voice mail messages are never returned. I would really like to have a set of sprockets but am about to give up on it.
Redbirds, you asked this question on the thread (http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....04&page=2) I specifically created to address the sprocket issue to a new (higher) level. Mine being the ultimate possibility of what is possible. 19T front & 35T rear. In case you did not read my reply to your question on that other thread, I will repeat it here.

"Redbirds, Copied down from my earlier post:I am using 7th Gear's contact info on his website. It still works, but he is apparently very busy and it takes time before he is able to reply. I'm still waiting for his reply email to start production on the sprockets.

Update 11/20/15: He has my order and $ to manufacture my F & R sprockets. I do not have an update on his production or shipment yet, but I expect them soon. Send an email and phone call and wait is all you can do right now."

Update 11/25/15: I am just now getting emails that he read my emails from weeks ago, one of his replies is that he is manufacturing my sprockets this week/next week and they should ship out in the next ?7 days or so, but I am not holding my breath, ... They will show up when they show up. From what someone else on this forum mentioned, he has a primary vocation, he is moving, ... be patient. You are experiencing the frustration, I initially had, but observe patience and he will eventually get in touch when things settle down. I initially contacted 7GD back in the late August / early September time frame. Good things come to all that wait - even if at times it seems frustrating.

My goal is to test/prove my idea/design #s that Fukunaga and his Honda design team had it wrong. They could have just added a 6th gear or designed the 5gear better from the start or as a mod, ... ([url=http://world.honda.com/CB1100/engineer-talk/episode3/).]http://world.honda.com/CB1100/engineer-talk/episode3/).
<= Great article. I am truly overwhelmed at this flaw in otherwise perfection. Ideally, they could have manufactured 2 versions, just like the ex, dx, abs, ... One would be high revving and the other low for the cruising customer base. My gut feel, is the later would have higher sales.

When I get done with everything, I will post a summary of all of my mods (w pictures) for all to view and self evaluate if it makes sense for them just as I have from the wonderful volunteers before me on this forum that I am thankful for.

Happy thanksgiving to all.
I guess I made the tie in to food, burgers, and finally football!
LOL

When I first joined, I wondered how anyone could get to thousands of posts, but I am quickly learning. Double to Triple digits / month adds up fast. I don't think I could keep that rate once my farkle period is over though. I know, it never ends.
 
It's a pleasure to learn all the great information here. Thanks to you all. I ordered 19/37 from PBI Sprockets and the package will arrive Taiwan soon. It's very hard to find a 19 sprocket in Taiwan or Japan. And can't even find a similar discussion anywhere. Should thanks to google as well for guiding me here. Thanks.
 
Hello all,

I did a search on the gearing and am willing to try the 19 and 37 teeth combo ..

Looks like 7th gear design company is banned from the forum or folks didn't seem to have the best experience even if the product worked ..

Can someone please post a link or another product for obtaining the 37T sprocket so it can compliment the 19T front ..

Thanks in advance
 
anyone here changed out their 39 tooth rear sprocket and no longer need/want it? I'd like to try it on my 2014 for even lower revs on highway. if so, i can pm you my address. it shouldn't cost more than a couple dollars to mail it. i can mail you the cash if you need it...
 
IndianRider! Good to hear you're around and glad you're still rocking it!

I need to repost our 5 CBs atop Mt. Hammy sometime soon, for posterity, or the new guys, or for any excuse. :)
 
Rolls, I'm afraid IndianRider hasn't been to see us since October. Hope all's well with him.
 
Coramanus .. I'm still around and kicking .. thanks for checking ..

Rolls.. yeah it's been a while since 2015 New Year's Day ride .. let's plan a spring ride with the Bay Area inmates

Finally found the 37t rear sprocket on the pbi sprockets website. The sprokcet is not listed under the cb1100 but the cross reference chart all the various options ..was a breeze to install today so just waiting to put a few hundred miles before reporting .. also installed the factory Honda chrome crash bars that were on sale on webbike and got here in 2 days
 
Good thinking Lord Popgun. I'll move it for you.
 
Thanks Cormanus. It will be easier to find next time.
 
Back
Top