how often and how do you wash/clean your pride and joy?

It's an extremely low possibility that an ordinary garden hose would cause a problem. My neighborhood has what's agreed is quite high water pressure, and I've never had an issue. You do need to completely avoid using a pressure washer, even on a wide stream. I once tried a pressure washer on a pickup truck that I used to own and without trying or any warning, it completely removed a large factory applied graphic from the door.
 
S100 is one of the greatest cleaning inventions ever. Not cheap but worth every penny.

I reserve one bike to be 'the rain bike': CBR250R.. when that gets all mucky, it's easy to clean since everything is covered up by body work and the lower body work, the stuff that gets the most grime, is rough black unfinished plastic so you can just take a nylon scrub brush to it without a care about ruining any finish.

The CB1100 on the other hand is so beautifully exposed that doing a proper cleaning job after a mucky rain ride would take a bit of time.. so I try not to ride it in the rain (never taken it on a distant tour yet where meeting rain is unavoidable).
So, yeah, like others here, the CB1100 gets a good S100 wash maybe 2x a year...
 
Wash with auto soap and water using a hose. For tough areas and places with hard to get at chrome I would use spray on chrome and tub bathroom cleaner. Never a problem for many decades. I do like to wax the tank regularly as to protect the finish from dust and the tank bag. Never understood the fear of using a hose and water. After all, aren't motorcycles designed to be ridden in the rain?

I use my cheap electric leaf blower to dry it out. It blows out all the hidden bits of water that always seems to get one wet after a wash.
 
Why is everyone afraid to use water on their bike? I wash my bike every other month after it rains usually my bike is CAKED in dirt. I hose it off, use auto soap on the tank, wash the rims, take the seat off and my shield and any other leather. I quickly pat dry the bike then immediately take it for a ride to air dry the water in the hard to reach spots. I then Wax the tank using Ice from turtle wax. I always use new towels and micro fiber cloths never use a dirty cloth.

I mean these bikes are made to be ridden in all conditions why is everyone avoiding getting the bike wet. Every time I ride in the rain my bike is soaked front to back and I have about 2 inches of dirt on the underside.
 
For the fanatical:

every time you wash and dry the bike by any kind of contact, you wear the finish. I've never been that fanatical, but I do make sure that if manually drying, I NEVER dry anything by using the common circular motion, this etches swirls onto the surface of everything paint, chrome etc.. Instead, I'll blot dry with no side to side motion on the surface.

I've heard that some super car owners even try to use soaps a little as possible when washing... but that's further than I'd go !

'over cleaning' is a word that I've heard said by the really fanatical about those who have damaged their vehicle finish by washing and waxing it 'too much'.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
Why is everyone afraid to use water on their bike? I wash my bike every other month after it rains usually my bike is CAKED in dirt. I hose it off, use auto soap on the tank, wash the rims, take the seat off and my shield and any other leather. I quickly pat dry the bike then immediately take it for a ride to air dry the water in the hard to reach spots. I then Wax the tank using Ice from turtle wax. I always use new towels and micro fiber cloths never use a dirty cloth.

I mean these bikes are made to be ridden in all conditions why is everyone avoiding getting the bike wet. Every time I ride in the rain my bike is soaked front to back and I have about 2 inches of dirt on the underside.


I ride my bikes everyday, or nearly everyday all year round in Ohio. Not afraid of my bikes getting wet, or dirty. They get wet and dirty quite often. The next rain usually washes off the dirt from the last rain. We have had a record year for rain this year so my bikes have been wet and dirty.. a lot. I just give mine a semi thorough cleaning in the spring and the fall. In the spring to wash off the winter salt, and in the fall to get rid of 6 months of grunge. No sense washing them and making them all pretty today if they are only going to get dirty again tomorrow or the day after.

I am at 12,135 miles for the year so far. My bikes are not a garage queens. :biker:

furious_blue_imp said:
For the fanatical:

every time you wash and dry the bike by any kind of contact, you wear the finish. I've never been that fanatical, but I do make sure that if manually drying, I NEVER dry anything by using the common circular motion, this etches swirls onto the surface of everything paint, chrome etc.. Instead, I'll blot dry with no side to side motion on the surface.

I've heard that some super car owners even try to use soaps a little as possible when washing... but that's further than I'd go !

'over cleaning' is a word that I've heard said by the really fanatical about those who have damaged their vehicle finish by washing and waxing it 'too much'.
Yea, I will never be accused of that. :rolleyes:
 
I think me and Ferret have the same method of cleaning our bikes lol.
I find that here in Texas its too dusty and bug filled to keep your bike clean if you ride it every day. I try every couple of months to wash and wax it but it never stays pretty for long.
 
Only dirty bikes get washed.
 
I only get the hose and bucket out when a bike gets really grimy. All other times I use Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish on all surfaces except the brake rotors... its quick, easy and cheap and leaves a nice shine. It cuts through tar, grease and bugs so well I use it on my autos as needed to prep for waxing. Been using it for many years... had enough stockpiled to get me through the period when they weren't making it and was elated when they started stocking it again. If you never tried it stop what your doing now and ride down to the Honda dealer on your CB to pick up a couple cans, you'll thank me later. :)

Pardon Our Interruption
 
BestStandard_imp said:
I only get the hose and bucket out when a bike gets really grimy. All other times I use Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish on all surfaces except the brake rotors... its quick, easy and cheap and leaves a nice shine. It cuts through tar, grease and bugs so well I use it on my autos as needed to prep for waxing. Been using it for many years... had enough stockpiled to get me through the period when they weren't making it and was elated when they started stocking it again. If you never tried it stop what your doing now and ride down to the Honda dealer on your CB to pick up a couple cans, you'll thank me later. :)

Pardon Our Interruption
I've heard so much praise about this stuff, and also heard all the cries when it was no longer available.

When my can of MotoShine (or some name like that from a European supplier) runs out. I think I'll try some of this !
 
Returning to the OP's question ... about once a day.

The bike will get cleaned when it needs it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Returning to the OP's question ... about once a day.

The bike will get cleaned when it needs it.
e0c7d222753a04561dfd663a728d0a25.gif


Exactly what came to my mind at first. However, I thought, I got it this way, as I'm not a native English speaker. But when it also comes from Cormanus...

As to the topic, I do it like Cormanus does. :beerchug:
 
Django_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Returning to the OP's question ... about once a day.

The bike will get cleaned when it needs it.
e0c7d222753a04561dfd663a728d0a25.gif


Exactly what came to my mind at first. However, I thought, I got it this way, as I'm not a native English speaker. But when it also comes from Cormanus...

As to the topic, I do it like Cormanus does. :beerchug:
c7c0f99297d3862b0e94ac75997ca7a8.gif


Exactly what came to my mind at first. However, I thought, I got it this way, as I'm not a native English speaker. But when it also comes from Cormanus...

As to the topic, I do it like Cormanus does. :beerchug:
But what about the other questions in the OP:

"2. how do you clean it?"
"is there a brain dead easy way of keeping the chrome shining etc?"
"i am pretty negligent with my cars so please the easiest methods only"

In my humble old geezer opinion (IMHOGO), Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish (or equivalent) is the best product/cleaning method recommendation that addresses all of these OP questions. It's so good and versatile, I put it up there with Duct Tape, WD40... and RLETS! How is that off topic?
 
BestStandard_imp said:
I only get the hose and bucket out when a bike gets really grimy. All other times I use Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish on all surfaces except the brake rotors... its quick, easy and cheap and leaves a nice shine. It cuts through tar, grease and bugs so well I use it on my autos as needed to prep for waxing. Been using it for many years... had enough stockpiled to get me through the period when they weren't making it and was elated when they started stocking it again. If you never tried it stop what your doing now and ride down to the Honda dealer on your CB to pick up a couple cans, you'll thank me later. :)

Pardon Our Interruption
Great stuff. Been using it for years, even when you had to buy it in the off branded can. Bike gets a proper water hose wash down 3 or 4 times a year. Otherwise, it is a good wipe down and detail with the Honda cleaner & polish and Black Magic Pro Shine after every ride.

The Black Magic is great for all your black plastic, rubber, pvc, etc. I wipe it on all my brake hoses, wiring harness covers, switchgear, the black covers over the fuel injectors, etc. It is like REALLY thick Armor-All and leaves all your black parts (any plastic really) shiny, and easier to wipe down clean the next go around.
 
How is waxing the paint too often ruining/wearing out the finish? Isn't the wax coating the paint, especially if it's real carnauba wax? I've had two bikes pinstriped in the past, and both time the pinstriper had to use a strong cleaner to remove all the wax from the tank, and fenders.
 
Django_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Returning to the OP's question ... about once a day.

The bike will get cleaned when it needs it.
e0c7d222753a04561dfd663a728d0a25.gif


Exactly what came to my mind at first. However, I thought, I got it this way, as I'm not a native English speaker. But when it also comes from Cormanus...

As to the topic, I do it like Cormanus does. :beerchug:
1dc62fa3d7705913b6932a41a90372a0.gif


Exactly what came to my mind at first. However, I thought, I got it this way, as I'm not a native English speaker. But when it also comes from Cormanus...

As to the topic, I do it like Cormanus does. :beerchug:

I just saw this. POSTS OF THE MONTH. :clap:

Cheers
 
Once every three or four months full wash and wipe down regularly with original spirits spray cleaner and detailer with micro fiber towels. Hard coat of mothers wax every so often. Also have some spray wax for a quick shine. Use a california duster just to get any dust and debri off before a wipedown so i dont scratch or swirl the paint.
 
Back
Top