How much hp do you actually use?

The ferret_imp said:
I'm actually not on many on/off ramps. My street is 7/10 mile long with a 25 mph speed limit. Once I leave my street I am immediately in 45-55 mph country curvy roads. There are some straight sections you could open it up in, but truthfully I have no desire to test limits anymore. Tested the upper limits on every bike I rode for maybe 30 years...and survived, and in some situation that outcome was questionable. Guess I got it out of my system.
Wisdom.

The essence of motorcycling is not strapping a rocket between your legs and hanging on for dear life...

Motorcycling is about the curves. Proper entry speed, smooth application of brakes (if required), optimal gear selection, picking a good line, keeping the chassis settled, looking through the turn, smoothly rolling on throttle, exiting smartly, setting up for the next change of direction...

Conservation of momentum and fluidity of operation should be the goal and the pleasure of motorcycling.
 
DAC_imp said:
Power is fun - would take more of it if was there. A bit of a confession perhaps. But, that's not why most of us bought this bike. It's altogether possible that if there was a 750 version of the CB available, I might have picked that instead.

Other bikes have power that is almost beyond comprehension. Just read a review of the Kawi H2R - a bike with 326HP (almost 4X the HP of the CB!) and weighs less. Even if the price tag was the same, the CB still gets picked.
DAC,

You have nailed it here but you fail to see the most important power measurement that the CB1100 dominates in. A more important measurement than horsepower or torque. A measure of power that leaves that H2R wheezing helplessly behind the conquering CB11. And it is this. I can get on my CB1100, thumb the starter, ease out the clutch, and it will rocket me from 0 to 1969 in less than 5 seconds.

The H2R doesn't have that kind of power. CB1100 wins. Cheers.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Power is fun - would take more of it if was there. A bit of a confession perhaps. But, that's not why most of us bought this bike. It's altogether possible that if there was a 750 version of the CB available, I might have picked that instead.

Other bikes have power that is almost beyond comprehension. Just read a review of the Kawi H2R - a bike with 326HP (almost 4X the HP of the CB!) and weighs less. Even if the price tag was the same, the CB still gets picked.
DAC,

You have nailed it here but you fail to see the most important power measurement that the CB1100 dominates in. A more important measurement than horsepower or torque. A measure of power that leaves that H2R wheezing helplessly behind the conquering CB11. And it is this. I can get on my CB1100, thumb the starter, ease out the clutch, and it will rocket me from 0 to 1969 in less than 5 seconds.

The H2R doesn't have that kind of power. CB1100 wins. Cheers.

Chip
DAC,

You have nailed it here but you fail to see the most important power measurement that the CB1100 dominates in. A more important measurement than horsepower or torque. A measure of power that leaves that H2R wheezing helplessly behind the conquering CB11. And it is this. I can get on my CB1100, thumb the starter, ease out the clutch, and it will rocket me from 0 to 1969 in less than 5 seconds.

The H2R doesn't have that kind of power. CB1100 wins. Cheers.

Chip
Dang... 0 to 1969 in less than 5 seconds, I had better be careful before I end up eleven years old again. ;)
 
Sometimes in the twisties I wished, I had a little bit more performance at the outcome of curves. My ol' BMW K1100 with 100 hp definitely pulled harder in the high revs compared to the CB.

However, I enjoy the smooth ride and like to be capable by myself (no assistants) to handle this bike without low or highsiding out of the corner, caused by a helpless spinning rear wheel from too much power.

I'd say, if your are not a really experienced track racer, you need some electronic assistance, to handle more power than lets say 120 hp, without wheeling or lowsiding. And that's not what I want. I want to have a direct link between myself and the bike. Back to the basics, but these technical as good as possible, like the CB.

And for my capabilities the Honda is good enough, better a little bit too less power as a little bit too much.
 
Django_imp said:
Sometimes in the twisties I wished, I had a little bit more performance at the outcome of curves. My ol' BMW K1100 with 100 hp definitely pulled harder in the high revs compared to the CB.

However, I enjoy the smooth ride and like to be capable by myself (no assistants) to handle this bike without low or highsiding out of the corner, caused by a helpless spinning rear wheel from too much power.

I'd say, if your are not a really experienced track racer, you need some electronic assistance, to handle more power than lets say 120 hp, without wheeling or lowsiding. And that's not what I want. I want to have a direct link between myself and the bike. Back to the basics, but these technical as good as possible, like the CB.

And for my capabilities the Honda is good enough, better a little bit too less power as a little bit too much.
We'll said::

I could always use full power on the CB without the fear of killing myself. My new N1K although only makes 127HP ATRW is a torque monster. Out of the hole with traction control off will flip you over in 1st and 2nd gear. Thought i would be safe the other day in the #2 setting, first was fine keeping the wheel up and bouncing, when i banged second the front started rise with very little intervention from the traction control, had to back off to 3/4 throttle to get it back down.
 
Man CIP, you really put the SPORT in sport touring. :rofl:
 
Guth, your quote: "Either way it just goes about it's business without complaint" sums up the CB11 perfectly. The CB is more than capable of overtaking vehicles at high speeds "without complaint".
 
You guys need to go out and let her rip for a while! I'm not claiming to be a good rider, but I push her pretty hard at times on the freeway and in the canyons. These CB's have low compression ratio and rev limiter, I certainly don't hesitate to spend time in the upper rev range. I always notice that the day after a good flogging the engine feels peppier than usual, see what you think.
 
There used to be a view that many things responded to a good flogging. Seems to be discredited these days.
 
"I can get on my CB1100, thumb the starter, ease out the clutch, and it will rocket me from 0 to 1969 in less than 5 seconds. "

That's what a flux capacitor will do fer ya.
 
How fast is 2nd gear good for. I've wound it out a few times without hitting the rev limiter and I think the speedo said I was doing 70'ish?
 
Usually when I ride the CB I don’t get near using the full power available. I love the smoothness of the bike, and tend to adopt a relaxed riding style which I think goes well with the bike. Because there is ample torque available from the get-go, there is really no reason to push it hard, and it is just more pleasant to enjoy it in this way. I find that by adopting a smooth riding style, with a pretty high corner entry speed, I can go faster than what would normally be expected. The bike just works like this, and I have surprised several much sportier riders with the general pace I am able to adopt.

However, yesterday it was a day-off here, and with the weather being dry I decided to go for a ride pushing the bike a bit more. I decided to ride it more like a sporty roadster, using all of the power available. The result was that I could go very fast on my regular back-roads following the local hooligans without too much difficulty. Clearly the chassis was reaching its limit, as were the tires, but it was hanging in there surprisingly well. Perhaps the footpegs have a different opinion, but it was not really an issue.

The thing with riding it like this reminded me of why I have never liked four in lines before, and still don’t. I really don’t like riding bikes with the revs way up there in the 7-8000 range. In the past I have spent quite some time on some MV Agusta Brutales, and although they are amazing bikes, it was always the high-revving fours that bothered me. I was very close to buying a black and orange 910S a few years ago, one that I still today find to be one of the sexiest bikes ever, but I just couldn’t love the feel of a four high up in the revs. The thing with those bikes were that if you didn’t keep the revs up there, they really were no fun at all. When it comes to real spirited riding, I so much prefer the high torque and power low in the revs I had with my Moto Morini Corsaro. With that bike I could really charge hard, on the street or on the track, and not have to push the revs to silly levels. The punch you might feel on the CB at 7000 RPMs hits you already at 4000 RPMs on the Corsaro. You would get something similar on the old Aprilia Tuono V2, although this one did require slightly higher revvs.

I love the CB for what it is. I like riding it in a relaxed way, going for smooth and rapid progress rather than the point and shoot I would do with the Corsaro. That said, on days like yesterday when I really want to go for it, I miss the brutality of a powerful twin street fighter. I miss the instant explosion as soon as I begin to twist the throttle, when the CB requires a bit more time to deliver this. I think that is what I enjoyed when I tried the Ducati Scrambler as its twin provided a similar feel to the Corsaro but without being lethal. It has the low-down punch that I feel is missing from the CB.

So, no, I don’t use all the power available in the CB because I don’t think it suits it to ride it like that. I know I can, and it will perform quite well, it just doesn’t feel good to me doing it. I love the CB, but I think I might need a second bike…
 
Thread starter
Henrik I'm with you, I'm also not a big fan of running up RPMs to 10K, but I like the smoothness of the I4. That's one of the reasons I really like the CB...I don't have to spin it up to 10K and it still pulls just fine, it won't pull your arms off, but it still goes.
 
I was out riding today and thought about this thread. I was bouncing off the speed limiter and saying to myself I wish my 1100cc bike was faster than a burgman scooter. I'm going to have to get the ecu reprogrammed eventually, this is just rediculous for an 1100.
 
Thread starter
uscgmac_imp said:
I was out riding today and thought about this thread. I was bouncing off the speed limiter and saying to myself I wish my 1100cc bike was faster than a burgman scooter. I'm going to have to get the ecu reprogrammed eventually, this is just rediculous for an 1100.
I don't hit triple digits much (read never). I'm way too paranoid of getting caught....I think they still hang people here in Ohio for triple digit speed.
 
Back
Top