How much hp do you actually use?

Novice_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I will be the first to admit I often look at the hp output of bikes in reviews. When I take a critical look at how I ride based on rpm and the CB's dyno chart, I find I use maybe 50 hp on any sort of regular basis and maybe 65ish during "hard" acceleration or passing. I don't putt around nor do I ride like a hooligan, but I still find myself watching out for the police from time to time. Many high hp bikes have a lot of electronics to tame the hp/performance to "manageable" levels. This then leads to my question of how much hp do you actually use? I am by no means suggesting that hp should be limited or anything like that, I'm just curious how much is used.
 
Well I will say this......I have used every ounce of power that this bike has every day going to and from work to get on the freeway safely. I will not take it easy getting up to speed with the maroons that reside around here so WOT it is until I reach my cruising altitude/speed. :D
 
Mostly I'm cruising between 2.000 and 4.000 revs. This means I don't
even use 50hp, cause the CB is such a smooth commuter.
The way the bike provides its hp is a real joy and the reason why I bought
it.

But there a times, in which I use some more hp, but the times are seldom.
More seldom is the moment, when I'm using all the power of the Honda.
But so sad, it can certainly bring you into real trouble....
especially, if the CB is capable of running uncutted....
Wisedrum
 
I have never used 65 hp on two different CBs and nearly 20,000 miles but I find using maybe 47 hp and 60 ft lbs of torque somehow quite satisfying.

 
I use all of the hp (albeit briefly) whenever the road and traffic conditions allow. When I get on a nice long onramp to a relatively empty freeway, I just can't resist the temptation to excercise the upper limits of the rpm range.

In order to use all of the hp for more than brief spikes, you'd have to have the ECU reflashed to remove the 112 mph speed limiter.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I use all of the hp (albeit briefly) whenever the road and traffic conditions allow. When I get on a nice long onramp to a relatively empty freeway, I just can't resist the temptation to excercise the upper limits of the rpm range.

In order to use all of the hp for more than brief spikes, you'd have to have the ECU reflashed to remove the 112 mph speed limiter.
+1 :thumbsup:nothing like on and off ramps
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I use all of the hp (albeit briefly) whenever the road and traffic conditions allow. When I get on a nice long onramp to a relatively empty freeway, I just can't resist the temptation to excercise the upper limits of the rpm range.

In order to use all of the hp for more than brief spikes, you'd have to have the ECU reflashed to remove the 112 mph speed limiter.
This.

Plenty of bikes can outperform the CB1100 at this exercise, but it certainly pulls hard enough to put a grin on my face. My favorite part is that with the Staintune installed it truly sounds glorious. That broadens the grin considerably.
 
I'm actually not on many on/off ramps. My street is 7/10 mile long with a 25 mph speed limit. Once I leave my street I am immediately in 45-55 mph country curvy roads. There are some straight sections you could open it up in, but truthfully I have no desire to test limits anymore. Tested the upper limits on every bike I rode for maybe 30 years...and survived, and in some situation that outcome was questionable. Guess I got it out of my system.
 
I have had mine to the rev limit maybe twice. It seems funny to hear critics pan this bike for a lack of power as there is plenty in reserve when needed.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'm actually not on many on/off ramps. My street is 7/10 mile long with a 25 mph speed limit. Once I leave my street I am immediately in 45-55 mph country curvy roads. There are some straight sections you could open it up in, but truthfully I have no desire to test limits anymore. Tested the upper limits on every bike I rode for maybe 30 years...and survived, and in some situation that outcome was questionable. Guess I got it out of my system.
That's pretty much my scenario too.
Once I clear the slower areas I'm on a 90 kph (54 mph) rural coastal road with great twisties so I just settle down and enjoy the ride.
I sometimes use the 110 kph (69 mph) super slab to get to a rural road, or if I'm in a hurry, but only in those rare circumstances. I avoid the slab when I can.
It's all about the ride, not blasting along on the slab.
If I need to merge, pass, etc., I don't mind twisting the throttle to get that done - and the CB gets that done very well.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'm actually not on many on/off ramps. My street is 7/10 mile long with a 25 mph speed limit. Once I leave my street I am immediately in 45-55 mph country curvy roads. There are some straight sections you could open it up in, but truthfully I have no desire to test limits anymore. Tested the upper limits on every bike I rode for maybe 30 years...and survived, and in some situation that outcome was questionable. Guess I got it out of my system.
(I'm guessing that this just might have something to do with your gas mileage figures.) On the other hand, when it comes to testing how little safety gear you can get away with, you're an out and out daredevil. In another decade or so I'm picturing you riding down the road at around 2000 RPM and 20 MPH — wearing nothing other than a helmet and a big grin. :rofl:

In my case, I certainly wouldn't say that I "test the limits" of the CB. But there is no doubt that I absolutely love winding it out a bit through the gears on occasion. When I think about it, I've been this way with almost any vehicle I've owned that had a manual transmission. Sometimes I just enjoy feeling them wind out through the gears.

I think some of this comes back to why many say that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. One of the great things about the CB1100 is that it's content to put around all day under 4000 RPM, but it doesn't mind being wicked up a bit either. Either way it just goes about it's business without complaint.

Overall, I probably actually ride more conservatively than most here. It's one of the reasons the CB1100 has worked out so well for me. I don't really have any need to exceed triple digits when it comes to speed. Don't even really think about it to be honest. I love the backroads, and don't really care for the interstates.
 
I shift up through the lower gears 500-1000 rpm short of redline at least once a ride, usually backing off short of the century mark. Always in remote area on good surfaces with clear lines of sight. Things get interesting fast.

But most of my riding is 30-40 mph on bumpy back roads and 20 or under on dirt and gravel.
 
Thread starter
It seems everybody's experience so far is about the same as mine. Freeway ramps are always fun, but the it's just a brief use of the max hp. Maybe it's the torque of the engine that spoils me or skews my perspective, but when someone (I've probably said it too) says "I wish Honda had made it with 100 hp", I have to wonder, where would it make a difference? Anybody ever tap it out running the twisties?
 
I don't care much about the HP curve, its that fat-n-flat Torque curve that twists my throttle!! To get 100 HP at the same rpm the HP peeks now would require 72 ft-lbs Torque @ 7300 rpm, a tradeoff that would require giving up that nice flat Torque curve.
 
Gentlemen,

I use it all about once every other ride. Throttle pinned and quick shifts at 8500 RPM. The bike is fast enough to thrill me but not so powerful that I think it's looking for a way to kill me. I owned a Yamaha sport bike that was so ridiculously fast and beyond my abilities it wasn't very fun. I sold my 2100 lb, 665 rwhp, big block, all aluminum Cobra after a couple hair raising experiences. I really like the power level and sound of the big CB.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

I use it all about once every other ride. Throttle pinned and quick shifts at 8500 RPM. The bike is fast enough to thrill me but not so powerful that I think it's looking for a way to kill me. I owned a Yamaha sport bike that was so ridiculously fast and beyond my abilities it wasn't very fun. I sold my 2100 lb, 665 rwhp, big block, all aluminum Cobra after a couple hair raising experiences. I really like the power level and sound of the big CB.

Chip
That's quite an endorsement. I asked the question as kind of a reality check. As I said before, I'm not against high hp if that's your thing, but how much of it is really used? Is it worth it to pay several thousand more for a bike plus the additional insurance cost if it's not fun and you don't or can't use it. Many on this forum have a ton of experience and ride a lot so it's interesting to read the feedback about this.
 
I thought I had all the power that I would ever need in the real world riding, and I still do think that way. But my son let me ride his new V-max the other day, and boy all I can say is what a beast. Massive amounts of torque & horsepower everywhere, never lacking for nothing. When I got back on my bike, in felt aneemic. :(
Make a note: (never ride a more powerful bike than your own)
 
Power is fun - would take more of it if was there. A bit of a confession perhaps. But, that's not why most of us bought this bike. It's altogether possible that if there was a 750 version of the CB available, I might have picked that instead.

Other bikes have power that is almost beyond comprehension. Just read a review of the Kawi H2R - a bike with 326HP (almost 4X the HP of the CB!) and weighs less. Even if the price tag was the same, the CB still gets picked.
 
Back
Top