How many miles will CB last?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Since I had to tell my wife this is the last motorcycle I will need to buy, I was wondering with proper care how many miles the CB1100 should last?
My "86" 600 Ninja had 35K miles when I sold it
My "86 900 had 65K miles on it when I heard a knocking sound in it and swapped out the engine with one less than 700 miles on it.
The Ninja's had hundreds if not thousand of red line shifts.

So am thinking if I ride my CB1100 like a 50+ yr old gentleman that I can be, maybe it will go 75 to 100K miles?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Since I had to tell my wife this is the last motorcycle I will need to buy, I was wondering with proper care how many miles the CB1100 should last?
My "86" 600 Ninja had 35K miles when I sold it
My "86 900 had 65K miles on it when I heard a knocking sound in it and swapped out the engine with one less than 700 miles on it.
The Ninja's had hundreds if not thousand of red line shifts.

So am thinking if I ride my CB1100 like a 50+ yr old gentleman that I can be, maybe it will go 75 to 100K miles?
Of course. No guarantees but based on the bike's history and build quality, you take good care of it, it should last a very long time. Even if the engine does need an overhaul at some point, that's to be expected. And it's easy to work on if it does. Frame, forks, swingarm, brakes, wheels, and other components are very rugged and should last indefinitely, barring accidents or corrosion/rust damage from being outside.

No need to baby this bike, either.

Oh, and quit fibbing to your wife!:rofl:
 
Old Guzzi's have no problem going 250,000 miles or more. Much more. Back in the early 80's when I knew a lot more than I do now (I was younger!) 100,000 on 750's was not too uncommon - certainly not common though. Goldwings were considered an 100,000 or so before they needed valve work.

Do your part, replace the bits that wear out, valve jobs, oil changes, valve adjustments etc. I would think 500,000 miles before you give up on it is possible. I think we tire of machines long before the machines get tired.
 
I put 98K on a 1984 CB700S, sold it to a friend who parked it at 120K with a broken throttle cable.
Put 73K on a 1992 CB750 NightHawk.

The CB1100 will go 100K, 200K, and beyond if you change fluids regularly and ya, ride it like a 50+ guy... ride it hard but don't abuse it.

TINK
 
Chances are I will never find out :( ...maybe my son will.

Maybe we should ask Calamarichris ....... LOL
 
Depending on your age... I think both Ferret
and Red Mist are right. You may never know...
but unless you're 'done' with riding, quit fibbing
to your wife!!! Tell her the truth like I did...
Honey, I think this is my last one for a while... and
yes, 'that's a great place to go on vacation'...
Works every time.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Chances are I will never find out :( ...maybe my son will.

Maybe we should ask Calamarichris ....... LOL
I hope you are telling us about your 2025 CB1100v Ferret! (The electric version)

You have a healthier lifestyle than me and most, and I'm sure you'll live to see you grandson (Riley?) ride one of your old bikes.

Calamarichris will no doubt prescribe 'Squid oil with a large portion of button pushing' lol.
 
We get some old codgers at the Guzzi rally's (pushing 90). Good genes, take care of your self (good advise no matter what you do) and your health and you should do fine. And don't crash.

I have found not crashing is very important. :angel: Crashing is hard on the body and can be equally hard on the bike.
 
I may get lucky although gene pool suggests otherwise. Mom 71 Dad 78, grandparents 78 and 79. The other grandparents earlier than that, they died when I was a child.

The oldest rider I personally know is my older brother who is still riding at 75, but he is not in the best of health.

Hey I'll keep climbing aboard as long as muscles and mind are working in harmony.

Not crashing is excellent advise Rboe!
 
Ferret, I have no doubt in my mind I will die long before you.

I never thought I'd make 30 after losing my best mate aged 17.

I've kinda lived like every day were my last for a good many decades as a result.

You'll outlive me buddy. :D
 
ferret, don't be a pessimist. From that photo you and your son could be brothers! I just tell the girls I am 25 and have led a hard life :)
[/img]

Back to the topic. "Last Blast", at 29000kms is barely run in. I agree with previous that if you keep the CB well maintained, particularly regular oil and filter changes, then the chances are you can hand it down as a true classic.

Cheers

WARNING: This post may contain a clothing faux pas.
 
I've personally put over 100,000 miles on three different bikes.

1982 Yamaha 550 Maxim
824969142e400f1ed0d4b4a8b1b0a635.jpg


2004 Honda Shadow 1100
e501484f3fa0015367e00e2ff6b834d2.jpg


2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bca8f7752b690c3cd9b0a86ede7e98fe.jpg


I've got over 10,000 on my CB1100 and I see absolutely no reason why I shouldn't get well over 100,000 on it too.
 
Wow sanoak, i'm impressed!

That was also 3 different manufacturers. Incredible.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Very impressive Sanoke! Any of them give you any major trouble in those miles?
Nothing major. Couple of starters on the Maxim, a stator and fuel pump on the Shadow, a water pump on the V-Strom. Other than that, it was just normal maintenance stuff. I do oil changes and tuneups on a very regular basis and just ride them.
The ferret_imp said:
Wow sanoak, i'm impressed!

That was also 3 different manufacturers. Incredible.
Thanks! I've had a lot more bikes than just those three but I have to say, nothing beats Japanese engineering in my book.
 
Back
Top