How long will a CB engine last?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
As some of us our getting into high mileage on our CB's with several of us in the 100,000 mile range, how long do you think a CB engine can go before needing major repair?

The old benchmark for longevity/reliability used to be 100,000 miles (for cars and bikes), but now we are seeing cars and bikes with well over 200,000 miles. My record is 282,350 miles on my 91 Honda Accord and I traded it in with no known mechanical issues (on another Honda Accord)... and I put 110,000 miles on my Honda ST 1300 before a failure with the braking system encouraged me to sell, but there is a guy on the ST forum that just turned over 350,000 miles on his ST 1300.
 
Well I think we already have 6 figure mileage on some CBs here on the forum. I'm approaching 60k myself, but I guess it depends on what you mean by a Major repair?
 
The ferret_imp said:
As some of us our getting into high mileage on our CB's with several of us in the 100,000 mile range, how long do you think a CB engine can go before needing major repair?

The old benchmark for longevity/reliability used to be 100,000 miles (for cars and bikes), but now we are seeing cars and bikes with well over 200,000 miles. My record is 282,350 miles on my 91 Honda Accord and I traded it in with no known mechanical issues (on another Honda Accord)... and I put 110,000 miles on my Honda ST 1300 before a failure with the braking system encouraged me to sell, but there is a guy on the ST forum that just turned over 350,000 miles on his ST 1300.
Big believer here in frequent service intervals - I think that makes the difference. The CB engine also seems to be pretty low stressed and many of us don't push it too hard anyway.

I've seen examples of more high strung Honda motors that have lasted quite a while. I remember seeing a post about a guy who crashed his CBR600RR at 170k miles and had to replace the engine since the crankshaft touched down and cracked the block. He cracked open the engine to see that it was pretty pristine at that high mileage and the cylinders still had crosshatch marks visible. He even used some of the parts from the older engine on the new/used replacement he found.

I'm not sure if that's applicable here, but if you get 100k out of the CB and it gets regular service, I wouldn't be worried.
 
Thread starter
Yes we have several over 100K and one I think over 135K. Major motor repair would be upper end... piston, valve or cam related IMO, as in your valve guides are worn out, or your piston rings are shot, or you need a top end overhaul...something like that.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yes we have several over 100K and one I think over 135K. Major motor repair would be upper end... piston, valve or cam related IMO, as in your valve guides are worn out, or your piston rings are shot, or you need a top end overhaul...something like that.
oh man, I think this bike might actually never need that. Are we still keeping a tally on people who have NEVER needed to have the valves adjusted?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yes we have several over 100K and one I think over 135K. Major motor repair would be upper end... piston, valve or cam related IMO, as in your valve guides are worn out, or your piston rings are shot, or you need a top end overhaul...something like that.
oh man, I think this bike might actually never need that. Are we still keeping a tally on people who have NEVER needed to have the valves adjusted?
(+1) Here. Never needed.
 
Keep the oil changed...and I can't imagine that 200k isn't easily doable.

Wouldn't hurt to run some Berryman's through a tank every soo often. Since these bikes are typically ridden leisurely- they tend to build carbon on the pistons from what I've seen on numerous low mile wrecked / parted bike pictures.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Keep the oil changed...and I can't imagine that 200k isn't easily doable.

Wouldn't hurt to run some Berryman's through a tank every soo often. Since these bikes are typically ridden leisurely- they tend to build carbon on the pistons from what I've seen on numerous low mile wrecked / parted bike pictures.
oh goody. finally validation for my heavy throttle hand. I can just say i'm preventing carbon buildup.
 
PowerDubs, may be you said it somewhere and I missed it, could you please explain what one sees n your avatar (under your name on the left).
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Keep the oil changed...and I can't imagine that 200k isn't easily doable.

Wouldn't hurt to run some Berryman's through a tank every soo often. Since these bikes are typically ridden leisurely- they tend to build carbon on the pistons from what I've seen on numerous low mile wrecked / parted bike pictures.
oh goody. finally validation for my heavy throttle hand. I can just say i'm preventing carbon buildup.

That's not a lie- on both cars and bikes.

Using them 'easy' is worse.

More throttle = more fuel spray- keeps injectors, intake ports, and combustion chamber cleaner.

More heat keeps combustion chamber (head, valves, spark plug, pistons) as well as cat if you have one, O2 sensors... cleaner.
 
I'll even take that a step further-

Someone casually cooking in a pan- will have a dirtier pan than a zealous cook often vigorously moving the food around with his tools, and often he works at an increased heat which can get the job done faster & better under his attentive eye.

There is indeed a small- but measurable increase in rod & ring movement- both up and down under the forces involved.

I'd rather have a swept to the edges than a clogged up result.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Keep the oil changed...and I can't imagine that 200k isn't easily doable.

Wouldn't hurt to run some Berryman's through a tank every soo often. Since these bikes are typically ridden leisurely- they tend to build carbon on the pistons from what I've seen on numerous low mile wrecked / parted bike pictures.
oh goody. finally validation for my heavy throttle hand. I can just say i'm preventing carbon buildup.

That's not a lie- on both cars and bikes.

Using them 'easy' is worse.

More throttle = more fuel spray- keeps injectors, intake ports, and combustion chamber cleaner.

More heat keeps combustion chamber (head, valves, spark plug, pistons) as well as cat if you have one, O2 sensors... cleaner.
....and more heat = more pollution = deadly NOx as well!!!
 
Peter- heat itself does NOT equal more pollution, nor more NOx.

You can certainly tune an engine to run clean & hot. In fact cats run MUCH better hot.

But this is not the forum to get political. If you are an staunch environmentalist- you would only own a bicycle- live on solar power- use NO plastic (which is MUCH worse) and certainly not have 'drop a gear and disappear' in your sig.

Anyone selling such narrative to you- are not only truly unaware- but getting paid on the back end to feed spoonful's of soup to suckers.

The reality is- NOTHING any of us common folk do will matter. Do you know what a private jet or ship pollutes?

Do you know that 'recycling' is B.S.?

Mods- wasn't me that took this off topic into fantasy land...but here is proof-


AND



The truth is - just like smoking, drinking- plastic- burning ANYTHING- chemical ANYTHING- cleaning water - cleaning air- the ONLY solution is a COMPLETE and FINAL stop doing ALL of it. Now and forever on.

Unless TOTAL worldwide understanding and stopping of ALL that stops- the problem is still there. SO- live your life and stop making posts on the internet that aren't reality.
 
It would help us all, PowerDubs, if you could stop delivering lectures. By all means express a view, but leave it at that. You object to people who tell you how you should live and spend your time. How about extending others the same courtesy?

For example, leaving out the last sentence of your previous post would have made it more acceptable.
 
All I wanted to say is that a combustion engine produces heat,, and one of its byproduct is NOx = simple physics and facts.

Did I step on your toes or have I offended your ambition? It wasn't intentional.
:thanks:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It would help us all, PowerDubs, if you could stop delivering lectures. By all means express a view, but leave it at that. You object to people who tell you how you should live and spend your time. How about extending others the same courtesy?

For example, leaving out the last sentence of your previous post would have made it more acceptable.

Wait, what? Leave out facts?

Big difference than telling people ‘how to live and spend those time’.

Acceptable in this place is subject to odd interpretation.

Guy comes in to a motorcycle forum and starts talking pollution- I respond with appropriate videos - not politics fed news agenda- and somehow Im the bad guy.

No need to tell me to leave… I’ve had enough.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top