How long will a CB engine last?

Jurlie_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I'm 500 miles shy of 120,000. I've never checked the valves. Regular oil changes with Honda oil and filters. She still runs like a top....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Would be curious to see how far the valve clearances from specs...

Do you notice any whining from transmission on acceleration on lower gears?
Would be curious to see how far the valve clearances from specs...

Do you notice any whining from transmission on acceleration on lower gears? No, I haven't noticed any whining really but now since you asked it's what I'll be listening for on my way to work! Lol

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
 
Back when I worked at a dealership the measurement was when a valve job was needed (this seemed to be needed long before rings were a problem). Top end rebuild was not really considered "major" work - but was not minor either.

In my experience the bike was totaled or the owner died and the bike kept on truckin'. Or it wasted away in a barn somewhere. Bikes like ours should out last us by a good measure - if we do our part to maintain it. Niggles brought on by poor QC on a part are usually caught fairly early in the life cycle so the bike can carry on.

Mine will be in great shape as I simply don't ride that much, and with two CB's to share the excitement, shoot - I can't wear out one much less two of them. To be safe maybe a third one should join the fleet. :P
 
Modern cars and bikes can well exceed the 100k mark. I'm a huge Honda fan; I bought a '94 Acura Legend Coupe new and kept it for 25 years, and sold it with a 165k miles on it, and the only reason I sold it was because the windshield was cracked clear across and I was moving to TX and windshields for that car were not available. They were only sold in three markets; Los Angeles, New York, and Miami, so parts were hard to get, especially on an older model. My wife drives a Honda CR-V, I have a Honda Accord V6 Coupe with 140k miles, ride a CB1100, and have had Honda generators and outboard motors, which have all given me good service. I'm looking for a Subaru Outback now, though, 'cause I want the AWD.
 
Pulled my Honda engine lawn mower out of the decrepit garden shed yesterday, turned fuel on, turned choke on, fired up on the first engine pull.

Love it - every year it starts in one or two pulls. First grass cut of the year.

Yes, love Honda.
 
Honda HRX lawn mower and
Honda 4 cycle string trimmer.

Just like you said GoldOxide, 1-2 pulls on the mower and string trimmer each spring for the first time and they roar to life.

Tough to beat a Honda product.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
peterbaron_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Keep the oil changed...and I can't imagine that 200k isn't easily doable.

Wouldn't hurt to run some Berryman's through a tank every soo often. Since these bikes are typically ridden leisurely- they tend to build carbon on the pistons from what I've seen on numerous low mile wrecked / parted bike pictures.
oh goody. finally validation for my heavy throttle hand. I can just say i'm preventing carbon buildup.

That's not a lie- on both cars and bikes.

Using them 'easy' is worse.

More throttle = more fuel spray- keeps injectors, intake ports, and combustion chamber cleaner.

More heat keeps combustion chamber (head, valves, spark plug, pistons) as well as cat if you have one, O2 sensors... cleaner.
....and more heat = more pollution = deadly NOx as well!!!
I have a hard time believing this comment was made with anything more than tongue-in-cheek....right?

If not, then I guess I don't see the point of it in this thread...

Back on topic, it's encouraging to think my 2013 with only 2200 miles has a long life ahead.

Are you long haulers using 10W30 or 10W40 oil? Just curious on the viscosity, not the brand!

Thanks
 
Thread starter
I use Honda GN4 10w30 changed every 4000 miles DaSwami.
 
Happily used 10W40 (conventional and then semi-synthetic), and ultimately settling on 5W40 (synthetic) on the CB1100.

I don't recall ever using 10W30, unless the Honda dealership used it on the initial service. I do recall them saying they use 10W40 on all their street bikes they serviced (even though the handbook states 10W30).
 
MMC_imp said:
I'm 500 miles shy of 120,000. I've never checked the valves. Regular oil changes with Honda oil and filters. She still runs like a top....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I know the stats on valve clearance efforts, but this is amazing ... or fool hardy ... don’t know. Let me know your rationale?
 
Gecko....Honestly, I just haven't made the time to do it. I've had many bikes including Honda's that I've never had problems with as far as engine related things like the valves. Honda is the most bulletproof engine in my opinion. Regular oil changes and maintenance has always kept me going just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The Gecko_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I'm 500 miles shy of 120,000. I've never checked the valves. Regular oil changes with Honda oil and filters. She still runs like a top....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I know the stats on valve clearance efforts, but this is amazing ... or fool hardy ... don’t know. Let me know your rationale?
I know the stats on valve clearance efforts, but this is amazing ... or fool hardy ... don’t know. Let me know your rationale?
My valve cover has never been off at 70,000 miles. The head mechanic at the shop that has been working on my bikes for over 20 years says to go by symptoms. If it's making unusual noises, becomes hard to start, or your gas mileage goes way down then you need to consider valve adjustments. If not, you're wasting your money according to him. On my ST 1300 he kept saying that, and at 50,000 miles I couldn't stand it anymore and asked him to inspect my valves. They were all in spec. Cost me several hundred dollars to find that out lol. I'm at 28,000 on my NC 750 without any valve inspections. No unusual noises, starts easily and I'm still getting 76 mpg so it's unlikely I take it in for an inspection either.

You should go with what your conscious tells you to though.
 
Thanks guys, really! you confirm what I anyway felt like (not) doing.
But our friendly down-under moderator reported (I think) that he had it done by the book, and each time the valves were somewhat off.

So here is my question : what if I open the cyl head, and just measure the clearance without taking the cams out. At least one time between 15 and 20 thousand? Bad idea ?
 
Thread starter
Not a bad idea at all, if you have the skills and knowledge. Remember in spec is in spec, doesnt have to be at the high end of spec or even the middle. Sometimes more harm can be done by the unskilled than if things are just left alone.

Honda also recommends you pull and inspect the plugs at 4000 and replace them at 8000 miles

Air cleaner is supposed to be inspected at 12,000 miles.

However I replace my air cleaner and spark plugs every 25,000 with no in between inspections, and they could probably go twice that.
 
All I can say and professionally attest to is that Ferret is right.
Serviced my CBs very similar.
:biker:
 
Back
Top