how long is the lubricating oil replacement cycle

twwellger_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello,
how long is the engine oil changing cycle in your official manual? Honda Taiwan is requiring that it must be replaced every 3,000 kilometers, because it is air-cooled. I cannot agree with it so I would like to ask you what it is in your manual.

Thank you in advance.
 
Not sure what is in the manual but I change mine along with the oil filter every 4000 miles.
 
3,000 km is about 1,800 miles......and that's just silly. I think there's a miscommunication somewhere.
The Honda manual in the USA recommends changing every 4,000 miles.

I have to assume that Taiwan gets the same oil that the USA and the rest of the world gets, right?
 
Actually for the '17 I have, the manual extended the interval to 8,000 miles, filters every-other time. Valve interval is 12,000 miles now iirc (instead of 8?). '17s have the same engine so if Honda thinks 8 is okay... I may still do 6~ or so, but certainly more than 1,800.

What I suspect is twwellger is getting this information from a dealer, not Honda TW- the bit about it being because it's air-cooled sounds like typical stealership justification and not something you'd find in a manual.
 
Unless riding conditions are really severe in Taiwan, 3000 kms is excessive. Said Forum member reported numbers are typical and documented.
 
i would like to see the page of your original honda owner manual.....i guess you got too in any kind of languages
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Not sure what is in the manual but I change mine along with the oil filter every 4000 miles.
thank you. almost about 6500 km need to be changed.
Jim21680_imp said:
3,000 km is about 1,800 miles......and that's just silly. I think there's a miscommunication somewhere.
The Honda manual in the USA recommends changing every 4,000 miles.

I have to assume that Taiwan gets the same oil that the USA and the rest of the world gets, right?
its the same oil all right. Thank you for you reply.
iamheero_imp said:
Actually for the '17 I have, the manual extended the interval to 8,000 miles, filters every-other time. Valve interval is 12,000 miles now iirc (instead of 8?). '17s have the same engine so if Honda thinks 8 is okay... I may still do 6~ or so, but certainly more than 1,800.

What I suspect is twwellger is getting this information from a dealer, not Honda TW- the bit about it being because it's air-cooled sounds like typical stealership justification and not something you'd find in a manual.
Thanks for your reply, I will go to the dealer again to ask about it.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Unless riding conditions are really severe in Taiwan, 3000 kms is excessive. Said Forum member reported numbers are typical and documented.
Generally speaking, the riding environment in Taiwan is very good and there is no particularly bad weather or environment:rolleyes:
alprider_imp said:
i would like to see the page of your original honda owner manual.....i guess you got too in any kind of languages
It's all Chinese. I'll do it and post on forum when i am returning home by end of Jan, 2019.
 
Usually stick to 5000 km or so or what ferret etc recommend but i would actually agree on 3000 for the second and third change because of the wearing-in particles that may accumulate and float in the oil for the same reason the first change is 600 km.
also use non synthetic first, it helps the engine wear in in my opinion but others may disagree.

Also started to put some neodymium magnets on my oil filter, just for a test, it doesn't harm any, hope that helps.
 
The oil-change interval for 2010-2016 CB1100s was 6,000 kms. As iamheero says, it has increased to 8,000 miles for the 2017 models. That is double. So, twwellger, I think you can assume the oil change interval is now 12,000 kms and the oil filter change interval is 24,000 kms.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The oil-change interval for 2010-2016 CB1100s was 6,000 kms. As iamheero says, it has increased to 8,000 miles for the 2017 models. That is double. So, twwellger, I think you can assume the oil change interval is now 12,000 kms and the oil filter change interval is 24,000 kms.
6000 to 8000 is double? Aussie math? lol
 
8,000 miles to 4,000 miles is double, or 12, 000 km to 6,000 km. :D
When I bought my 2013 in 2014, the Honda dealer told me, interval of 12,000 km is good enough to keep the warranty alive. Honda already retreated from the 6,000 km oil change interval.
 
Django_imp said:
8,000 miles to 4,000 miles is double, or 12, 000 km to 6,000 km. :D
When I bought my 2013 in 2014, the Honda dealer told me, interval of 12,000 km is good enough to keep the warranty alive. Honda already retreated from the 6,000 km oil change interval.
Like using Celsius for cold and Fahrenheit for hot weather XD
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The oil-change interval for 2010-2016 CB1100s was 6,000 kms. As iamheero says, it has increased to 8,000 miles for the 2017 models. That is double. So, twwellger, I think you can assume the oil change interval is now 12,000 kms and the oil filter change interval is 24,000 kms.
I never get bored reading those figures. Honda did a great job.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The oil-change interval for 2010-2016 CB1100s was 6,000 kms. As iamheero says, it has increased to 8,000 miles for the 2017 models. That is double. So, twwellger, I think you can assume the oil change interval is now 12,000 kms and the oil filter change interval is 24,000 kms.
6000 to 8000 is double? Aussie math? lol
6000 to 8000 is double? Aussie math? lol
Oh, dear. Is now the time to confess I'm basically innumerate? Probably too late.

What I meant was that the 2010-2016 model service intervals were 4,000 miles or 6,000 kms. On the 2017 model they doubled to 8,000 miles and 12,000 kms. That means a new oil filter only every 16,000 miles or 24,000 kms, unless of course Honda has varied the need to change the oil filter.

The question for those of us with older models, I guess, is whether to assume the new service intervals can be applied retrospectively.
 
Well that makes more sense. Figured the heat was getting to you lol.

I trust Honda and all, but I'm not going 16,000 miles on an oil filter that only costs $12.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well that makes more sense. Figured the heat was getting to you lol.

I trust Honda and all, but I'm not going 16,000 miles on an oil filter that only costs $12.
Besides, after alotta mileage, a spanking new, black oil filter looks great!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well that makes more sense. Figured the heat was getting to you lol.

I trust Honda and all, but I'm not going 16,000 miles on an oil filter that only costs $12.
+1

No oil change without oil filter change.
 
Django_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Well that makes more sense. Figured the heat was getting to you lol.

I trust Honda and all, but I'm not going 16,000 miles on an oil filter that only costs $12.
+1

No oil change without oil filter change.
+1

No oil change without oil filter change.
+2

Changing oil without changing oil filter is like taking a bath and using the same underwear :D
 
I would definitely change the oil filter after 12800 kms (8000 miles), especially if you are doing alotta city riding or gear shifting.
 
Back
Top