How good is the CB 1100?

Thread starter
Sure, the more of something one puts out the more likely something will be wrong with one of them. Honda has a reputation for building a quality product (well earned IMO) but that doesn't mean every single Honda vehicle that was purchased was problem free.

What we are talking about here though is a pattern of problems. Take gas tanks swelling on Ducati's for example..it wasn't one or two, it was lots and lots and lots of them. A recurring common problem. An issue where if someone asked are there any issues with Ducati Monsters, someone would say, you have to watch for gas tanks swelling. Same with fuel injection on the new FZ-09 Yamaha or rear spokes on the Triumph Bonnevilles in 2001-2003, or secondary master cylinders on HONDA ST 1300's which the owners forums would like to see a recall on.

What would you say if someone asked you about the CB 1100?
 
Well, all in all I've owned six Honda motorcycles. True, that a couple of them I didn't put high mileage on, but they still didn't have failures even after 36 years. And after sitting a few years and being put back into service. And no rust either!

Don't get me started on BMWs! They have had some well publicized quality issues the past 10 years or so. Final drive failures. Fuel strip failures. Handlebar switch failures where the bike won't start after being parked in the sunlight! Engines stalling out at high speed on freeways. Clutch problems. One of their flagship models, the 2014 R1200RT is recalled and a fairly unusual STOP RIDE order issued by BMW until the rear shock can be redesigned and manufactured. Lots of unhappy owners can't ride their bikes in the middle of the riding season.

I think, for the most part, the difference is Honda stays with tried and true technology while still modernizing their lineup, and BMW just has to stuff their bikes with the newest technology and computer controlled electronics that their engineers dream up seemingly just for the sake of having cutting edge technology. Features that very few owners have asked for.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Sure, the more of something one puts out the more likely something will be wrong with one of them. Honda has a reputation for building a quality product (well earned IMO) but that doesn't mean every single Honda vehicle that was purchased was problem free.

What we are talking about here though is a pattern of problems. Take gas tanks swelling on Ducati's for example..it wasn't one or two, it was lots and lots and lots of them. A recurring common problem. An issue where if someone asked are there any issues with Ducati Monsters, someone would say, you have to watch for gas tanks swelling. Same with fuel injection on the new FZ-09 Yamaha or rear spokes on the Triumph Bonnevilles in 2001-2003, or secondary master cylinders on HONDA ST 1300's which the owners forums would like to see a recall on.

What would you say if someone asked you about the CB 1100?
I'd say... great choice, you're going to love it!
 
The CB1100 is my first motorcycle and I'm 45. What planet am I from? I walked into my local dealer kicking tires for 3 years. Never had the $$$ anyway. I walked in and saw the blacked out 6 speed with just enough chrome to make it one of the coolest bikes right now. I signed the paperwork and my friend drove it home. Went and took the two day course got my moto endorsement. Talked to Flo got my ins coverage and it was a wild ride for a first bike. Frog leggin, curb Rollin, brake sweatin, and torque jerk on right turns. After 1000 miles I can't stop smiling it is so dam fun. On my second day on the bike in 4 lane wall to wall traffic I avoided a serious sideswipe accident with a van. Here in Florida there are brick roads with highs and lows that will throw you a mile off your bike. I cruise over em floating like a 70's Lincoln land yacht. The sound of the motor is like a sewing machine and is awesomely consistent in her sound. As I'm cruzing I can rubberneck girls weird sights ride no hands and be so comfortable. Her side to side transitions make me feel like freaking Speed Racer or something. 3500 miles in 6 months worth of love!
 
Sorry guys, I suppose I'm veering a bit off topic. I wasn't thinking of a smaller set of units sold hiding any potential lurking problems. I was thinking more along the lines of the big problem at some point might simply getting your hands on a CB1100. No matter how great the bike is, if sales figures remain low, at some point Honda will stop selling them (as our members in Australia already discovered). If someone were to steal my CB1100 right now, I could still easily replace it by searching dealers for a remaining 2013 model. But what if that were to happen in say 5 or maybe 10 years from now? I'm not sure just how hard it would be to find a nice clean example available for sale. I mention this because to ferret's point, it has been a wonderful bike so far and if anything were to happen to my CB1100, I'd certainly want to replace it with another just like it.

As a point of reference, I used to own a 1967 camaro convertible. I owned it for four years or so before the car was stolen. Nice examples had appreciated quite a bit in that short period of time and I never did replace the car. I certainly miss it at times though and wish I had another.
 
Guth , if your CB1100 ever get stolen you should have enough people you know who own a CB 1100 so just steal one from one of the members !
(only kidding)
 
Only thing I've experienced on a 2013 is the inaccurate gas meter, and how quiet it is. The sound is just my opinion but other than that it's a great bike!
 
Guth_imp said:
Sorry guys, I suppose I'm veering a bit off topic. I wasn't thinking of a smaller set of units sold hiding any potential lurking problems. I was thinking more along the lines of the big problem at some point might simply getting your hands on a CB1100. No matter how great the bike is, if sales figures remain low, at some point Honda will stop selling them (as our members in Australia already discovered). If someone were to steal my CB1100 right now, I could still easily replace it by searching dealers for a remaining 2013 model. But what if that were to happen in say 5 or maybe 10 years from now? I'm not sure just how hard it would be to find a nice clean example available for sale. I mention this because to ferret's point, it has been a wonderful bike so far and if anything were to happen to my CB1100, I'd certainly want to replace it with another just like it.

As a point of reference, I used to own a 1967 camaro convertible. I owned it for four years or so before the car was stolen. Nice examples had appreciated quite a bit in that short period of time and I never did replace the car. I certainly miss it at times though and wish I had another.
Hmm, all good points. I'm going to make the case to my spouse on the need to purchase a back-up while they're still available.





If I'm absent from the forum for awhile I know y'all will understand.
 
In June I moved to Edmonton, Alberta from the U.S. I had decided I was going to get a 2014 CB1100 after I got to Canada because my trailer was full with a 1972 CB350K and a 1976 CB750. When I walked into the local Honda bike dealer and the salesman looked at me like I was a bit off when I told him I wanted to buy a CB1100. According to him, there were only 60 imported into the country this year. That was a big disappointment, so I bought one in Minnesota, where I'm from. Just got back to Edmonton on it this week. I really like the 6th gear. I traveled about 1350 miles in 3 days and averaged 47 mpg. Under 4k rpm at 80 mph. The seat wasn't great for that long of a trip, but I don't know that any seat would be. Really happy with this machine so far.

p.s. I'm new here, hi.
 
Nicely put, Guth. I've had similar thoughts. What would I do if anything happened to my CB1100. I could probably pick up a good second hand one at the moment. But in a few years? To future proof this bike, it would be a wonderful thing if it became as popular and sold as well as the CB750 did in the 1970s. Sadly, Honda (or any other manufacturer) is unlikely to pull that off with bikes that look pretty much the same.

But, hey, why be depressed? Honda made this bike and we've all had the opportunity to ride them and look at them and even love them. Our worlds at least are a better place for that.
 
I have high hopes for the CB1100's longevity. The last inline 4 standard (CB750 Nighthawk) was also a niche bike that sold in low numbers. They managed to churn them out from '91 to '03. Keep your fingers crossed!
 
It's a great bike. I'd like a better front fork, but it's weakness only shows up when pushing hard. Plus I hate the speed limiter. That has to go eventually. Otherwise son and father very happy :)
 
In CagerOnTwoWheels voice: CB is a great bike, really really good.

I enjoyed a 500 km trip on weekend and I haven´t found any weakness or any spot on the bike that would even slightly annoy me. Chassis..good. Engine - perfect. Style and design - beyond words. Mileage? I don´t know, I don´t care. Ergonomics? OK for me. Controls? Without problems. Also the bike is pretty rare, I would need a big luck to meet any other owner on the road.

I hope the sales will last and I will be able to buy a modernised model in few years.

Dear Honda marketing dept if you read this: I want a 1400cc six cylinder CB(x) in a chassis of a CB1100. Thank you.
 
Within its' intended goal (a retro bike that old farts can piddle around with, reliving the glory years, with less hassle and in style) this bike has few peers. Go out side that envelope and weaknesses show. But you can say that about any bike. Gixxers make poor touring choices, Wings make for poor sporting bikes and both make for poor general all around bikes but still excel in their niche.

It's nice to have a tool in the garage for just the sort of riding you want to do when you wake up, as I get older the need for specialized tools, riding wise anyway, grows less and less. A wonderful all arounder that can many things pretty darn well is highly valued. So. Should I have an extra set of wheels so I can turn her into a scrambler? :)
 
As Guth stated may be a little off topic but when I decided to purchase my CB1100 DLX my local dealer did not have this unit in stock. He checked with several dealers throughout the state and located three. The closest dealer sold the DLX 14 before we could put a hold on it. We were successful in locating one at the second dealer and placed a hold/transfer on that one. I asked my dealer if he could just order one and he replied no. He had one 13 standard & one 14 standard on the showroom floor. The only option was to locate one from another dealer and transfer it to his inventory. So if I had to replace my bike it would be cause for concern.
 
I have to agree with the cb love fest, but I will admit that I had a moment last week with mine. I was riding home from a local bike night with a friend just as it was getting dark. Thankfully I was leading, because shortly after we got going, he flashed me to slow down, only to tell me my tail light was out. Much to my dismay, so was my brake light. Not a fun way to drive home in the dark, but obviously not a disaster considering everything was fine after replacing the. 64 cent bulb. I guess if that's my biggest problem, I will have no complaints! PS...noticed a few hard core Harley dudes checking out my steed. Not sure if they were admiring or criticizing, but interesting to see, nonetheless. Also got my first "nice resto" comment from a passersby. Pretty cool...
 
I get comments about the CB at every gas stop. I also never see a DLX in a dealership. They're sold pretty quickly.

Also, the DLX at the Indy MotoGP pretty much always had a few people hanging around. More than the new Interceptor even. But who knows what that means - the NM4 got a lot of looks too.
 
Unless it got sold in the last 2 days... theres a 14 DLX on the floor right now at the Honda dealer in Clearwater, Fla.... I saw it Saturday. They told me they've sold 4 this year...
 
Thread starter
There is a 14 std and a 14 dlx at Beechmont Motorsports in Cincinnati. Saw a $1000 off tag hanging on the dlx.
 
Back
Top