How good is the CB 1100?

Checked cycle trader and I dont think I saw a single DLX on there. Also, not seeing them in dealerships either. When Abernathy Honda and Southern powersports in Chatanooga did not have one I though uh oh. There is a fairly large Honda dealer in Franklin TN that has one for 10,700.
 
This thread is very reassuring. I'm new here and trying to learn what I can about the CB because I love the styling and I'm hoping the ergonomics will be more forgiving on my body than what I'm feeling from my VFR. Here in San Diego there seems to be plenty of deluxes on showroom floors. I'm hoping that in 2015 Honda will offer a black deluxe with chrome engine and spoked wheels. That would make it incredibly hard for me not to pull the trigger and get one.
 
Thread starter
Thought I'd bring this back to the top. First posted 4 years ago.

How good has this bike turned out to be?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Thought I'd bring this back to the top. First posted 4 years ago.

How good has this bike turned out to be?
Well, when I get a new vehicle (33 - 4 wheels and 17 - 2 wheels, to date), I am in the habit of starting a spreadsheet of parts I may need.

I did so for my 2014 standard, expecting to share info with anyone who may have an issue and need a part.

Yes, Dave replaced his IACV, but generally, other than the normal maintenance of oil, oil filter, air filter, battery, tires and brakes, it is extremely rare to see a need for a repair part. Has anyone on this forum needed a part on the lower portion of this list?

engine guards Honda 08P70-MGC-N20
Spark plug 14 mm NGK LMAR8A-9S (stock 6817 available at O"Reilly's)
Air filter Honda 17210-MEJ-981 (HFA1932)
Oil filter + wrench Honda 15410-MCE-H51
Oil filter Honda 15410-MFJ-D01
Crush washer 14 mm 94109-14000
Battery YTZ14S (O'Reilly DTZ14-S $103.99)

Regulator 31600-MGZ-J01
Stator 31120-MGC-014
Pulse generator 30300-MGC-003
Diode (fuse block) 31730-MAS-601
Relays (fuse block) 38501-MEL-003

Time to delete this file from my CB folder.
 
Glackie_imp said:
In June I moved to Edmonton, Alberta from the U.S. I had decided I was going to get a 2014 CB1100 after I got to Canada because my trailer was full with a 1972 CB350K and a 1976 CB750. When I walked into the local Honda bike dealer and the salesman looked at me like I was a bit off when I told him I wanted to buy a CB1100. According to him, there were only 60 imported into the country this year. That was a big disappointment, so I bought one in Minnesota, where I'm from. Just got back to Edmonton on it this week. I really like the 6th gear. I traveled about 1350 miles in 3 days and averaged 47 mpg. Under 4k rpm at 80 mph. The seat wasn't great for that long of a trip, but I don't know that any seat would be. Really happy with this machine so far.

p.s. I'm new here, hi.
Hi Glackie. Thanks for the trip report, and welcome.
 
chikers_imp said:
I have to agree with the cb love fest, but I will admit that I had a moment last week with mine. I was riding home from a local bike night with a friend just as it was getting dark. Thankfully I was leading, because shortly after we got going, he flashed me to slow down, only to tell me my tail light was out. Much to my dismay, so was my brake light. Not a fun way to drive home in the dark, but obviously not a disaster considering everything was fine after replacing the. 64 cent bulb. I guess if that's my biggest problem, I will have no complaints! PS...noticed a few hard core Harley dudes checking out my steed. Not sure if they were admiring or criticizing, but interesting to see, nonetheless. Also got my first "nice resto" comment from a passersby. Pretty cool...
Funny that. The only thing that has failed on mine after 8 years was the tail lamp bulb. Blew both filaments. I didn't know until a motorist pointed it out while stopped at the traffic lights.
 
Thread starter
Think about this.. We now have one member with over 100,000 miles, on his CB 1100, I think a couple with 60,000 miles and a couple more between 40 and 60 thousand miles ( myself included) and no serious repairs beyond the few that had the high/low idle issue.

The reason I brought this thread back to life is reading the forum lately I realized we were talking about a whole lot of other things other than the CB1100.

And that's probably a good thing actually.
 
Better than 95,000 kms (nearly 60,000 miles) and nothing replaced except a headlight bulb. There is a bit of rust and I've got paint flaking off the engine, but nothing momentous. It's a great bike.
 
Tezza_imp said:
chikers_imp said:
I have to agree with the cb love fest, but I will admit that I had a moment last week with mine. I was riding home from a local bike night with a friend just as it was getting dark. Thankfully I was leading, because shortly after we got going, he flashed me to slow down, only to tell me my tail light was out. Much to my dismay, so was my brake light. Not a fun way to drive home in the dark, but obviously not a disaster considering everything was fine after replacing the. 64 cent bulb. I guess if that's my biggest problem, I will have no complaints! PS...noticed a few hard core Harley dudes checking out my steed. Not sure if they were admiring or criticizing, but interesting to see, nonetheless. Also got my first "nice resto" comment from a passersby. Pretty cool...
Funny that. The only thing that has failed on mine after 8 years was the tail lamp bulb. Blew both filaments. I didn't know until a motorist pointed it out while stopped at the traffic lights.
Coincidence?
Same here, all of a sudden dark tail light, both gone after 8 years, original battery same age still happy to swing the crank in the right direction, what's to complain?
 
What happened to the member who was describing a nasty vibration problem about 2 or 3 months back? That sounded like the only serious engine problem that I've heard anyone discuss, but then I lost track of his saga and didn't hear if there was a resolution.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Think about this.. We now have one member with over 100,000 miles, on his CB 1100, I think a couple with 60,000 miles and a couple more between 40 and 60 thousand miles ( myself included) and no serious repairs beyond the few that had the high/low idle issue.

The reason I brought this thread back to life is reading the forum lately I realized we were talking about a whole lot of other things other than the CB1100.

And that's probably a good thing actually.
thats the member "itsme"
he ride often with a lot luggage and wife

Honda CB 1100 EX - Motorräder und Touren

bigger things but normal wear with such amount km:

95.000 km -rear wheel bearing
105.671 km – steering head bearings
178.374 km –swingarm bearings

and 2 times any spokes
Mai 2018 - Motorräder und Touren
 
Only issues so far with my '17 EX: taillight housing was wobbly, which the dealer fixed on their second try; squeaky front brakes, which the dealer failed to fix despite two tries. Otherwise, zero mechanical gremlins. Those squealing front brakes are the only thing keeping my bike from being mechanical perfection.

Oh, and it could simply be that I've become used to the bike, and nothing has really changed, but I would say that the motor has become slightly smoother. The buzzy patch between 3,500-5,000 rpm is less noticeable now.

Along the way, a strange thing has happened. As a direct result of my appreciation for the CB's overall refinement and build quality, my modded XSR900 has fallen out of favor with me. The reason I say this is strange? First off, the XSR has proven to be every bit as mechanically reliable as the big Honda. When I first bought the bike, there was a factory set-up issue with the sidestand switch and ABS sensor, which the dealer immediately sorted. Since then, she's been bullet-proof. She's also more comfortable than the CB. Offering both a roomier/more upright seating position and a smoother motor, she's better for long-distance work. She's also 140 lbs lighter and night-and-day faster. The XSR is a whole lot more fun in the twisties, or in any sporting capacity.

Doesn't matter. Every time I ride the CB, it further sours my feelings regarding the Yamaha. All I really want from the Honda is for the brake squealing to go away. The Yamaha? I want it to be a different bike. I want it to be just as light and fast, but more refined. I want a lower seat height, with a bit more forward lean. I want a different, less cobbled together look for the cockpit. I want a different look for the front end. I want smoother suspension. I want a smoother clutch take-up.

It's really rather bizarre, but my CB has me wanting to swap the XSR for a Kawasaki Z900, and not the prettier RS version, but the goofier-looking basic Z900 model. I haven't had a chance yet to sit on the Cafe version, but I strongly suspect the forward lean on that model is too severe for my reconstructed neck. So, yeah, of all the strangest eventualities, the CB1100 has me wanting the smooth, fast, polished, stupid-looking Z900.

To me, that's just bizarre. I still want the CB too, of course. She isn't going anywhere. If only her brakes would ever stop squealing....
 
VLJ_imp said:
Only issues so far with my '17 EX: taillight housing was wobbly, which the dealer fixed on their second try; squeaky front brakes, which the dealer failed to fix despite two tries. Otherwise, zero mechanical gremlins. Those squealing front brakes are the only thing keeping my bike from being mechanical perfection.

Oh, and it could simply be that I've become used to the bike, and nothing has really changed, but I would say that the motor has become slightly smoother. The buzzy patch between 3,500-5,000 rpm is less noticeable now.

Along the way, a strange thing has happened. As a direct result of my appreciation for the CB's overall refinement and build quality, my modded XSR900 has fallen out of favor with me. The reason I say this is strange? First off, the XSR has proven to be every bit as mechanically reliable as the big Honda. When I first bought the bike, there was a factory set-up issue with the sidestand switch and ABS sensor, which the dealer immediately sorted. Since then, she's been bullet-proof. She's also more comfortable than the CB. Offering both a roomier/more upright seating position and a smoother motor, she's better for long-distance work. She's also 140 lbs lighter and night-and-day faster. The XSR is a whole lot more fun in the twisties, or in any sporting capacity.

Doesn't matter. Every time I ride the CB, it further sours my feelings regarding the Yamaha. All I really want from the Honda is for the brake squealing to go away. The Yamaha? I want it to be a different bike. I want it to be just as light and fast, but more refined. I want a lower seat height, with a bit more forward lean. I want a different, less cobbled together look for the cockpit. I want a different look for the front end. I want smoother suspension. I want a smoother clutch take-up.

It's really rather bizarre, but my CB has me wanting to swap the XSR for a Kawasaki Z900, and not the prettier RS version, but the goofier-looking basic Z900 model. I haven't had a chance yet to sit on the Cafe version, but I strongly suspect the forward lean on that model is too severe for my reconstructed neck. So, yeah, of all the strangest eventualities, the CB1100 has me wanting the smooth, fast, polished, stupid-looking Z900.

To me, that's just bizarre. I still want the CB too, of course. She isn't going anywhere. If only her brakes would ever stop squealing....
I have had zero issues with my 2017 EX, although my front brakes are also noisy during the last 20 or so mph of decelerating. It is annoying, and mine seem worse when the brakes are cooler. On the hot summer days that are now a distant memory, it was not as bad with more heat in them. I do love this bike.
 
VLJ
Just consider the brake squeal to be the audible version of a brake light!
 
Frulk_imp said:
If it was a Guzzi doing that it would be called character.
Loved my V7II, except for the fueling system

https://image.ibb.co/nDLYEF/Upper-Pahranagat-Lake-1.jpg
The A-man_imp said:
What happened to the member who was describing a nasty vibration problem about 2 or 3 months back? That sounded like the only serious engine problem that I've heard anyone discuss, but then I lost track of his saga and didn't hear if there was a resolution.
A tire issue was the prime suspect. Don't think he advised further.
 
apex1, yep, my brakes squeal much worse in cold weather. On a hot day, during a good, thorough ride, they don't squeak all that often. Park her outside on a cool night, her brakes squeal at the end of every slow stop during the ride home. Only slow, gradual stops, however. No squealing with firm stops.
 
Thread starter
The rear brake on my new FJR sqeals the last bit of a slow stop too.
I only have 4500 miles on it, but so far, it is no match for my CB (or my ST for that matter.) I need to work on ergos on it and replace the stock BS tires for some Michelins. Maybe that will help.

I completely understand how the CB spoils you against other bikes.
 
mickey, when you say your FJR is no match for your CB or ST, what do you mean? Just the ergos and tires? Other areas? Overall?
 
Back
Top