How do you buy tires/tubes?

Jgarciajr40_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I understand tire sizing as it’s similar to a car, but my CB1100 is a 2017EX mode with spoke wheels. According to the Rear tire it requires tubes the front tire states tubeless, but I’d imagine has a tube in it?

They’re currently the original tires I believe the tires are stamped 2012. They’re dunlops, and have just enough tread for maybe a month left I’m gonna purchase some Bridgestone BT54s I found which are tubeless and a good price.

My local shop told me just buy whatever tire I want they put tubes in them, but do I need to even bother changing tubes? I was thinking about since the tubes are at least 5-6 years old.

Also in case the shop pops one on accident as my motorcycle is my only means of transportation.

Currently have dunlops
110/80/18 Front
140/70/18 Rear
Oh, and how do you buy the tubes? The diameter must obviously fit inside the tire so just any tube that’s 18inches?
 
I have a vague recollection that people on this forum had expressed concern about just putting tubes in tubeless tyres and had taken steps to seal the rims for tubeless use. For example, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14000

See also Aussieflyer’s and Tev’s excellent work. Search will help you find their posts.
 
I saw Alain Lee at the previous rally. He told me that the sealed rims on his 17 EX is performing well with tubeless tires. Maybe Alain will provide more details.
 
Thread starter
I don’t know…

The idea of essentially duck taping rims is a little scary; also says only heat resistant to 140 degrees. Living in Florida I know the asphalt hits that easily. I literally can’t get a pair of work boots to last more than 3-6 months because the sun melts my sole.
 
You can run tubes in tubeless tires no problem. Just can't run tubeless on tube tires. Spokes are almost always tube, unless the spokes are mounted outside the bead around the rim
 
Jgarciajr40, I know nothing about this other than what I’ve read on this forum. I was just pointing you to solutions others have adopted in the hope they’ll chime in. To my simple mind, if putting a tube in it does the trick, why not do it? I do wonder, though, why that is never offered as a solution to a puncture in a tubeless tyre—at least on a bike. I’ve been offered it on a car rim.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
I saw Alain Lee at the previous rally. He told me that the sealed rims on his 17 EX is performing well with tubeless tires. Maybe Alain will provide more details.
100% Alain Lee has tubeless OEM size tires done professionally on his 2017 EX.
I sent him text to chime in
 
peterbaron_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
I saw Alain Lee at the previous rally. He told me that the sealed rims on his 17 EX is performing well with tubeless tires. Maybe Alain will provide more details.
100% Alain Lee has tubeless OEM size tires done professionally on his 2017 EX.
I sent him text to chime in
100% Alain Lee has tubeless OEM size tires done professionally on his 2017 EX.
I sent him text to chime in
I think (?) Alain uses the Outex Kit, the same I used on the Africa Twin.

So far the Outex Kit has performed excellent for over a year now at +46C (tire temperature) and -15C (air temperature). No leaks. No tubes, Tubeless tires on traditional spoked rims.
 
My 2017 EX came with tubes on both tires, however, during the early summer of 2018 when it was time to replace the tires I chose to convert them to "Tubeless" tires (for multiple reasons mentioned below).

That was 5 summers & over 40K miles already, including 2 East Coast Rally participations (Two 12 hrs non-stop riding to & from West Virginia riding 2Up - that's confidence).

As GO previously mentioned, I also used the "OUTEX" conversion kit and plus to be on the safe side I applied "Marine" type silicone on the nut of each spoke before wrapping the wheel with the 2 types of "3M" tapes supplied in the kit.

Reasons for Conversion:
1. Did not want to carry spare tubes on long trips.
2. When punctured, Tubeless tires looses air pressure slowly rather than deflating instantly.
3. Easier to temporarily patch/plug during a road trip.
4. More tire selection available to choose from.

Tire Selection:
My 1st priority is excellent "Traction" under wet condition.
My 2nd priority is excellent "Traction" on dry roads during cornering.
Note: Long tire tread life was NEVER a priority.
So I picked the newly released Bridgestone T-32 (a bit noisy) and so far very satisfied.

I can provide the OUTEX kit part number if required.
:biker: :biker: :biker:
 
Let’s see how complicated I can make this.

Alain argues there are good reasons to run tubeless tyres tubeless. Others agree and have converted their tubed rims to tubeless rims so they can run tubeless tyres tubeless.

Then there are those who say because you can’t run a tubeless tyre untubed on a tubed rim, just run the tubeless tyre tubed and everything will be just fine.

Clear so far?

I can’t find it. Yet. But I’m sure there’s been discussion on this forum pointing to the undesirability of putting a tube in a tubeless tyre on a tubeless rim. As I write this, a faint memory trickles through the blocked tubes of my mind suggesting the concern was about putting a tube in a tubeless tyre on a tubeless rim.

I think the questions are:
[li]Can you safely use a tubeless tyre over a tube on a rim that needs a tube?[/li] [li]Can you safely put a tube in a tubeless (or tubed) tyre on a tubeless rim?
[/li]

There may be more.
 
Tubeless conversion is a popular topic on ADV forums because the additional requirement for tubes for off-roading adds safety margin, especially when deflating pressures for aggressive terrain (e.g. sometimes below 20 psi).

1. Some on-roaders use a tube in a tubeless tire on a tubed rim. The caveats seems to be it will add unsprung weight, and heat build-up will be higher, faster, longer in the tire. This might limit a safe top speed, and depending on installation, create speed wobble. Many agree to avoid using a heavy duty tube for on-road usage as the internal friction can be too high and cause a rupture (which has been reported).

2. Some off-roaders have put a tube on a tubeless rim (inside a tubeless tire) for extra run-time durability. Same previous on-road high-speed caveat applies as well as tube wall thickness.
 
I run a tubeless tyre F&R on my CB1100EX after having it converted by BartFactory Honda Africa Twin 650 750 RD03 RD04 RD07 - Bart Factory They specifically list the CB1100EX as a bike they do the conversion on.

Before doing so I contacted Bridgestone Technical Services and they supported my use of T31 WITH the inner tube still fitted. As I went down the BartFactory route I did in the end dispense with the inner tube.

To date the conversion has worked well. I lose no more air in these converted wheels than any other bike I own. Very pleased with the increased tyre choice and the wonderful handling I am getting from the T31's albeit with some extra noise on the front.
 
I’m not sure I understand what you mean, peterbaron.
 
Thread starter
For this tire change I’m just gonna go ahead and replace the tubes with Dunlop OEM tubes and Bridgestone BT54s. Simply because the tubes almost 7-8 years old. May keep ‘em as spares if they look good.

The dunlops I can’t find cheaper than $200each; found a set of BT54s for $280 and dunlop tubes for $48.
 
Unless you’re a serious off roader or race track performer, I would stay tubeless if at all possible.
A flat on or off the road is no fun with a tube.
I admit I still plug and play if the puncture isn’t on the sidewall or something of that nature.
Heck I still ride it with a plug and have done that for years without incident. I know, some will say you’re lucky and biding your time but if the tire is newer and/or not worn to at least half I’m gonna get my money out of it. (Guzzi cheap)
Oh and I don’t ride over the posted limit and not much highway at that.
YMMV
inditx
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Tubeless conversation is applicable if bike’s rims are tubules ready, safety concern
Tube type spoked rims are not tubeless ready, yet thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of folks around the world have converted them for tubeless tire use.

You must be thinking of the rim safety bead?

Even without the safety bead, thousands have converted their rims to tubeless use.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I’m not sure I understand what you mean, peterbaron.
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Tubeless conversation is applicable if bike’s rims are tubules ready, safety concern
Tube type spoked rims are not tubeless ready, yet thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of folks around the world have converted them for tubeless tire use.

You must be thinking of the rim safety bead?

Even without the safety bead, thousands have converted their rims to tubeless use.
Tube type spoked rims are not tubeless ready, yet thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of folks around the world have converted them for tubeless tire use.

You must be thinking of the rim safety bead?

.........
TY GO, you fixed it.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I’m not sure I understand what you mean, peterbaron.
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Tubeless conversation is applicable if bike’s rims are tubules ready, safety concern
Tube type spoked rims are not tubeless ready, yet thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of folks around the world have converted them for tubeless tire use.

You must be thinking of the rim safety bead?

Even without the safety bead, thousands have converted their rims to tubeless use.
Tube type spoked rims are not tubeless ready, yet thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of folks around the world have converted them for tubeless tire use.

You must be thinking of the rim safety bead?

.........
TY GO, you fixed it.
.........

TY GO, you fixed it.
Tubeless tires can go on those rims.

A risk exists if off-roading and reducing the pressure of the tire for the paths. A sharp edge or pothole could take the bead off with enough force (weight), and speed.
 
To answer one of the questions directly, you can put tubes in tubeless tyres on motorbikes and cars. However it does reduce the speed rating of the tyre. On the CB1100 this will not be an issue :)
 
Back
Top