How did you discover the CB?

I wasn't even in the market for a bike. I told a few friends that IF someone comes out with a "basic" motorcycle I would likely get one, but I figured fat chance of that ever happening. So one day I was sitting around bored and surfing the net, decided to check out what bikes were out there these days. Well, I stumbled across the CB11 and the rest is history. I really wanted a DLX but there were none to be had around here. Love my '14 Standard and plan to keep it forever.
 
I had just bought a 2013 Triumph Thruxton, was out riding and decided to stop at my local 'Big Four' MC dealer. The brand new 2013 CB was there. I had no idea it even existed. A year later the Triumph was traded for my DLX.
 
When I took up riding as a much younger man, I learned on a Suzuki GS750e. Never rode a smaller street bike. At that point, two bikes captured my imagination, the GS and the Honda Interceptor.

Life interfered until 2008 when gas went up to $4 a gallon. Looked for a bike for gas savings but nothing smaller than 600cc was available. Then an extremely clean used '02 Interceptor followed me home one day. A lovely bike that eventually went to war with my 50-year-old body.

When the CB began to appear on the show circuit it took me back to the Suzuki days - with that lovely sit-up-and-beg riding position. Once the '13 finally appeared, there was a hesitation. Finally the '14 appeared and delivered the goods - for me, at least.
 
I saw internet photos of the CB1100 from other countries and began to keep my eye open for when it might arrive here. The initial MSRP was a little high to my liking and so I waited. Then in '14 I saw the black standard with just enough chrome to lighten it up, a nice grey and red pinstripe, mag wheels, one pipe, six speed...waited some more, the msrp started to plunge when they weren't selling and finally bought one Jan of '16. Checked all the boxes as they say.
 
March 29 th my man. (not May.. But it might be inappropriate to moderate the boss lol)

Anyhow when I went to register as the Ferret over there, it said that was already taken (really?) so I had to register as the other Ferret
 
Nah ... blow it ... I've fixed his post. Can't have the boss being seen to make mistakes. :D

My story?

In late 2010, after a long lay off from riding, I bought a VT750 Shadow to get back into riding again. I was either on the way to pick it up or had it for only a couple of days when I went into a Honda dealer to pick up something or other. There sitting in the showroom, near the door, was a white 2010 CB1100. It was motorcycle love at first sight. Another 2 years later I bought one.
 
I think I read a review of the bike in CW or Rider late in 2012 or early 2013 talking about this throwback to the UJM. I was very happy with my CBR250r and perfectly prepared to pack it up with gear and take a week long Circle Tour of Lake Michigan on that little bike with my wife on her matching one and all of our friends on their Goldwings. The Wingers mentioned on several occasions leading up to the Chicago IMS in February 2013 their concern about our comfort over such a long trip on such a small bike, but both Cheryl and I were confident that we had the bikes that suited us. That is, until she saw the CTX and I saw the CB1100 at that show. We cut deals for both bikes the following week. About 34,000 miles later, I have no doubt that we could have remained on our 250s and been happy motorcyclists, but I also have no doubt that I made the right decision buying a 2013 Honda CB1100...twice.
 
I legitimately cannot remember where I heard about the CB1100 first. I remember when I found mine, after going to a dealer to see a different CB that was already sold (just wanted to see one in person).

The dealer had just taken delivery of a black 2014 with a slip on pipe that morning, and I took it out for a test ride in the rain. Well, between the sweet sounding exhaust, smooth power, upright seating (I was on a 2006 Ninja 636 before), extended warranty, and classic looks, I was hooked.

Ended up cutting a deal and writing a check right there. I left my 636, took the CB home, and went back for the Ninja. Riding the sport bike back home through the rain was terrible, especially considering the svelte, comfy CB1100 waiting for me back at the house.

The only regret I have is selling the 636 (ended up covering half of the CB purchase). At the time, I had just bought an engagement ring, and helping cover the motorcycle upgrade was paramount. I should have kept the Green Machine and turned it into a track bike. There was nothing mechanically wrong with it, but it was about due for a maintenance overhaul at 25K miles.

Anyway, I've since learned that the CB isn't perfect for me, especially after taking it around Jennings and feeling it's limitations. Later this year, I plan to send my ECU to Don Guhl for a reflash, and hope that will wake up the extra punch I'm looking for in this nearly perfect beauty of a machine.
 
As I remember, which isn't much at my age, I saw a picture of the Deluxe model on the Internet and was smitten. After searching on-line I found they were only available in the U.S.A. Unfortunately with the currency exchange, import fee, Federal and Provincial sales taxes it would have cost me about $20,000 dollars Canadian.

I waited hoping that a used one would turn up at a reasonable price. But very few people were selling, and they were far away and asking almost the selling price.

Fast forward three years. The news of the 2017 CB1100 EX to replace the standard model was on the Internet. It took a few months, but it finally appeared on the Honda Canada website in January 2017. I went to my Honda dealer and they knew nothing about it. I showed them the picture from the website and they quoted the standard model's price. I immediately gave them a deposit.

I had to wait until the third week in May for it to arrive, and traded in my CB500XA on it.

It has been a terribly wet summer, but Miss Piggy and I have been out for a dozen day rides on the back roads. She earned the name while I was tearing off my jacket and shirt trying to rid myself of a bee that had stung me twice in the time it had taken me to pull over on the soft shoulder. While I was busy tearing off my clothes, my right foot gave way in the soft sand and she decided to take a nap on the side of the road. I learned then that although she is pretty in an old fashion way, she is stout for her size and very top heavy. Hence the name Miss Piggy.
 
About two years ago I thought it would be fun to get back into motorcycling for a number of reasons, "while I still can" being one of them.
I thought an old '70s BMW would be fun if I could find one in good enough shape, cheap enough. Then after doing a little research and youtube watching I considered a MG V-7, and a Triumph, all of which led me to some comparisons that included the CB. It was widely dismissed as lacking character in the reviews, but oh yeah, by the way it always started, ran great, didn't leak, and had a dealer network second only to H-D.
Checked out a few at farther flung dealers but found one used at my local dealer just before last summer.
I lurked on this forum, read the CB1100 thread on ADVrider and picked it up at the end of last summer.
It was love at first sight, but after riding it I found I needed more room, which I solved with lower pegs and a higher seat (re-upholstered).
This excellent forum also contributed to my decision, for the quality of the members and the good information. I too am left wondering why this machine never was widely (or even narrowly ) promoted by Honda.

Ben
 
I too read about the CB1100 on the ADVrider forums. It was the logical upgrade to my 2002 Nighthawk-750. I liked what I saw at the motorcycle show (used to be in San Mateo, CA - now gone) when the 2013 came out but just I didn't wan't to pay that kind of money (at MSRP sticker) and it wasn't 'exactly' right. Wow, once I saw the 2014 DLX - that was the one. They were difficult to find, expensive (packed over sticker), so I just waited. I happened to have been right thinking that two years after they were originally sold and no longer available in 2016, many original owners put them up for sale for various reasons, with low mileage - all over the place.

Found the one - in New York, I am in California. Had 1,920 miles on it, cut a good deal ($7,300) and had it shipped home!
 
I had 3 CB750's that I rode from '72 through '80. I sold them off decades ago.
After recently moving I experienced the huge urge to ride again. I looked around for a bike that would make me happy. I nearly settled on a current Honda that ultimately I wouldn't have been unhappy with.
Thanks to a Honda dealership sales man who was completely inattentive and lacking I was left with the time to really check out the model I was ready to buy. Even without riding it I determined that this model was not what I would be happy with.
While still waiting on the sales jerk to get to me I made a discovery. In the very back corner of this showroom I found a new lone 2014 CB1100. I tried it on and it was like being back on my old 750, I loved it!
The jerk sales idiot quoted me a price that was out of the park for a bike that was (although new) two years old. His price was $500 more than the old original MSRP! I told him where the f... he could go!
I was hooked on the CB1100. It took me three weeks but I found a lone CB at a little dealership in north Phoenix, and it had a discounted price. On faith I rented a uhaul cycle trailer and drove the 400 mi. to get that CB.
Well I got it and I've been loving it ever since!
 
COCB1100_imp said:
Curious because whenever people see me and ask about the bike, it's typically followed by "I didn't know they (Honda) even made a bike like that."

Even some other CB owners I've spoken with say they only discovered the bike via their own proactive research and didn't even realize it existed before stumbling across it. Obviously many bike enthusiasts here would have known about it because they likely read or subscribe to publications that did reviews and covered its release but I'm just wondering.

Honda has really done itself and the resale market for owners no good with their seeming complete neglect with marketing and other campaigns to raise its profile.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same here - I stumbled across it a couple of years ago while assembling a list of in-line four "road-bikes" (as opposed to "sport-bikes") by all the vendors on my "approved vendor list".
 
Thread starter
rotor_imp said:
COCB1100_imp said:
Curious because whenever people see me and ask about the bike, it's typically followed by "I didn't know they (Honda) even made a bike like that."

Even some other CB owners I've spoken with say they only discovered the bike via their own proactive research and didn't even realize it existed before stumbling across it. Obviously many bike enthusiasts here would have known about it because they likely read or subscribe to publications that did reviews and covered its release but I'm just wondering.

Honda has really done itself and the resale market for owners no good with their seeming complete neglect with marketing and other campaigns to raise its profile.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same here - I stumbled across it a couple of years ago while assembling a list of in-line four "road-bikes" (as opposed to "sport-bikes") by all the vendors on my "approved vendor list".
The same here - I stumbled across it a couple of years ago while assembling a list of in-line four "road-bikes" (as opposed to "sport-bikes") by all the vendors on my "approved vendor list".
Nice.

So what is the list of bikes you ultimately came up with that satisfied that criteria? Who makes the cut with respect to your list of approved vendors (manufacturers)?

I take it you are strongly partial to inline 4s motor formats?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I loved the old school CB 1100 look. I waited and waited. It was between a victory Bagger and the CB. Since I already had the Vaquero I decided on the used 2013 cb1100. Begged my wife to drop me off at the dealer and brought it home.

I found the CB1100 forum first and that helped me decide :-)

I bought my '14 DLX Thru this forum. Had it shipped to IL.

"There's nothing better than having a motorcycle, except 2 or 3 or 4 motorcycles"

hahahaha"

Ride on .....



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I first saw something about the CB1100 coming to America in CycleWorld magazine in early 2012, I believe. The first time I saw one in person was in July 2012 at the Laguna Seca race track in Monteray, Ca. Honda had it on display, up on a raised stand, and I couldn't help going back multiple times to stare at it. I told my wife "all that bike needs to be perfect is spoke wheels, 4 into 4 exhaust, and to paint that silver side cover red". I told her I wanted to buy one, but the first thing I would do after buying it would be to repaint the side covers. I began looking a year later, and when I discovered the 2014 model was even better looking than the 2013 model I knew I had to have one. I put a down-payment on a Dlx model a few months before they were available and waited.
 
COCB1100_imp said:
rotor_imp said:
COCB1100_imp said:
Curious because whenever people see me and ask about the bike, it's typically followed by "I didn't know they (Honda) even made a bike like that."

Even some other CB owners I've spoken with say they only discovered the bike via their own proactive research and didn't even realize it existed before stumbling across it. Obviously many bike enthusiasts here would have known about it because they likely read or subscribe to publications that did reviews and covered its release but I'm just wondering.

Honda has really done itself and the resale market for owners no good with their seeming complete neglect with marketing and other campaigns to raise its profile.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same here - I stumbled across it a couple of years ago while assembling a list of in-line four "road-bikes" (as opposed to "sport-bikes") by all the vendors on my "approved vendor list".
The same here - I stumbled across it a couple of years ago while assembling a list of in-line four "road-bikes" (as opposed to "sport-bikes") by all the vendors on my "approved vendor list".
Nice.

So what is the list of bikes you ultimately came up with that satisfied that criteria? Who makes the cut with respect to your list of approved vendors (manufacturers)?

I take it you are strongly partial to inline 4s motor formats?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The list is short: Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki.

I am not prepared to look at brands that are here-today-gone/resold-tomorrow "name-shells", IMHO BMW products carry an unacceptable "snob-premium" price differential, I am not prepared to look at products that have only a marginal market penetration, and I believe the problematic reliability reputation of some brands is more likely deserved than not. When I spend my hard-earned money, I have every right to indulge in my prejudices.

Quote:So what is the list of bikes you ultimately came up with that satisfied that criteria? Honda CB650F, Yamaha XJ6, Kawasaki Z800. (By memory, incomplete, this was a few years ago. I was looking at replacing a Honda CBF600N which went out of production in 2012). This is when I stumbled upon CB1100.

Quote:I take it you are strongly partial to inline 4s motor formats? There was a while ago here a thread on mass vs. engine power. (I ride solo, so I add 100 kg of mass (me+riding-gear+cargo) to the "curb weight" when determining the quotient). I believe that for my riding (by seat-time 50% urban traffic, 50% multi-day trips) bike must have at least 150 Watts/kg, while more than 200 is not of much value to me. For me to handle it in lively urban traffic, the mass of bike should be not much more than 200 kg (CB1100 is at the extreme end of my mass criterion). Because of long trips, the riding position must be reasonably relaxed, upright - this is where CB1100 is probably the best one, and this is why I ride one. While "the looks" are pretty low on my list of criteria, the nightmare-ugly CB650F is something that has kept me from owning one.

As far as I can tell, it is pretty much impossible to produce a motorcycle that would meet my specs - specifically the mass/power ratio - other than with a transverse in-line 3 or 4 cylinder motor. Or at least I have not seen one yet.
 
Back
Top