How did you discover the CB?

COCB1100_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Curious because whenever people see me and ask about the bike, it's typically followed by "I didn't know they (Honda) even made a bike like that."

Even some other CB owners I've spoken with say they only discovered the bike via their own proactive research and didn't even realize it existed before stumbling across it. Obviously many bike enthusiasts here would have known about it because they likely read or subscribe to publications that did reviews and covered its release but I'm just wondering.

Honda has really done itself and the resale market for owners no good with their seeming complete neglect with marketing and other campaigns to raise its profile.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I stumbled across it and wasn't really looking for a bike. Once I saw the CB I knew it wouldn't be long before I had one.

I feel pretty lucky to have the one I got at the price I paid - I love it.
 
I follow the Motorcycle shows every year where prototypes are shown, and have since the 1970's. The CB actually started showing up as a prototype at the Tokyo show in 1999. Different iterations kept showing up at the shows until the 2009 Tokyo show where it started looking like a production model which was then released in 2010 to Japan and Australia. In 2012 when rumors started surfacing that it may be coming to the states in 2013, I went to my dealer and told him they were coming and that I wanted the first one. He said they weren't coming. Then late in 2012, November if I recall, he called me and said I was right it was coming and that I got the first one he got. I took delivery in March or April 2013.

heres some history of it (sorry but my photos are no longer available thanks to photobucket)

CB 1100 A little History
 
I was planning on buying a Triumph. While doing a little research, I ran across an article comparing the Triumph, a Moto Guzzi, and the CB1100. Until then, I had no idea the CB1100 existed. It was pretty much over at that point. I couldn't resist. I started researching the CB1100, and looked at a few new 2013s and 2014s in different shops. I found this forum, asked a few questions, read a lot, and ended up buying a used 2013 that I found on Craigslist. I found out that the seller was a forum member during the purchase.
I still want a Triumph-maybe an older model, but it won't replace the CB. That bike just speaks to me.
 
I took an MSF course a few years ago since I was a scooter rider and wanted to join the "real" riders (I had never ridden a manual shift bike before). After I passed the final riding test with flying colors, I was chatting with the instructor about bike choices. He said "you should get a CB1100." Boy was he right. Even though it is my first "real" bike, several years of scooter (Vespa GTS 250 ie) riding made it not really my first bike and it has been a great move up for me.
 
I don't have time right now, but at some point I'll try to post some links to the long-running CB1100 thread over on the advrider site. It is where many of us here started our "CB1100 conversation" before I managed to get this place up and running.

It's kind of fun to go back in time and re-read various ramblings and speculations about the bike before it was finally released here in North America. The accounts from when a few of us first took delivery of our CB1100s back in 2013 are also fairly entertaining.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Probably during 2014, I was on eBay looking for parts for my CB77. When I finished, I searched for vintage motor cycles for sale because I enjoy looking at the pictures. I saw "CB1100" listed with the Honda models and was curious to see what it was. Expecting a motorcycle covered in plastic, I experienced a shocking revelation! That's all it took and, after 40 plus year of my lack of interest in any modern motorcycle, the CB seed was planted in my mind.

Prior to this, I never seen a CB11.
 
I followed the gestation of the CB1100 along the way, with great interest. How I came to buy it? I was at the mega- dealership service with my Guzzi Griso, which had nearly burned my house down with two electrical fires, and when I found out that a new wire harness was 3- 6 months out, I walked over to the CB on the floor, said give me that, traded in the Griso on the spot, and rode home, quite happy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was looking at a new Triumph Bonneville but didn't see the sense in getting a bike visually like my 72' Tiger 650. I like the "retro" vibe so I remembered seeing the CB1100 when it came to the states and liking the look and I already had a 72' CB350 (disc brake).
Bought a brand new 2013 leftover this spring. Traded the CB350 to help free up the garage space at the same time.
 
I noticed the CB in a magazine and thought, "wow, nice bike." The more I thought about the CB over the coming weeks and months, the more I convinced myself that I should get one. I placed a deposit on a new '13 but when I finally saw the bike in person, I wasn't so thrilled (the black engine and black wheels were non-starters) and asked for my deposit back. A few months later it happened again -- I saw photos of the '14 DLX and thought, "that's more like it!" A year later, I had one in my garage.
 
A guy at work had a 2013 model and one day after I arrived on my 1983 nekad goldwing I watched him ride it up and park it and immediately I fell in love. Ended up taking me a few weeks and struggling to be at the point i was ready to get rid of the wang, but it happened. it also helped that my local dealer had 3x 2014 standard models that they were starting to offer good discounts on. Its been probably 3 weeks or a month now and I am very satisfied with the bike. I do not love it more than my wife though (just in case she sees this...).

ha.

~Jermo
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I noticed the CB in a magazine and thought, "wow, nice bike." The more I thought about the CB over the coming weeks and months, the more I convinced myself that I should get one. I placed a deposit on a new '13 but when I finally saw the bike in person, I wasn't so thrilled (the black engine and black wheels were non-starters) and asked for my deposit back. A few months later it happened again -- I saw photos of the '14 DLX and thought, "that's more like it!" A year later, I had one in my garage.
Same for me. I saw it in CycleWorld, Rider or one of those magazines.
I had never seen one until my '14 showed up at the dealership.
 
It was this forum. I originally wanted a vintage Honda but had gotten discouraged by the prices in SoCal. I had actually test-ridden the Ducati Scrambler and Triumph Bonneville and was ready to pull the trigger on the Bonnie when I somehow found this forum while searching for more info on CB750's. Thank God I did (and thanks Guth for creating it!)
 
Found mine accidentally at a Harley Davidson/Honda dealer when I used to go buy parts for my son's CRF100. Fell in love and traded my Vulcan, couldn't be happier!
 
Like the Ferret, I'd been following the rumors of this bike several years before it went into production. I was quite happy with my CB750, but knew it wasn't going to last forever. Many visits to dealers over the years yielded nothing that scratched my itch for a standard, inline 4 bike.

When it was finally released only in Japan and Australia in 2010, I was not hopeful. Then I caught a post on ADVRider where a member had taken some pics of a pre-production model in the mountains of California wearing manufacturer plates. Hope was renewed. Months later Honda announced it was coming to the U.S.

Not knowing how many CB1100s would be available, I was at my dealer on the day the truck arrived carrying his first two CB11s. I gave him a deposit and picked the bike up the following day.
 
After completing the Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 on a Harley Wide Glide, I realized I wanted a SMOOTHER engine. I thought back to the inline-4 CB750's I had had when much younger, and started searching eBay for one. Seeing people asking near or above $5,000 for decent ones, and then seeing an eBay ad for a brand new CB1100 at less than $7,500, I bought the CB1100 through eBay. That was the first time I even knew one existed. I then found a local dealer who had one (at significantly higher price) and went to see it before committing to the eBay deal.

I drove from Tampa to Rockingham, NC (through Hurricane Matthew) and trailered it home. Combined it with a trip to visit relatives in Raleigh...

Couldn't be happier! :)
 
I walked into a dealership to test ride and hopefully buy a Yamaha and while wandering saw the CB1100. Called an old friend in another town who owns a Honda dealership and sure enough he had one on the floor. Test rode it and bought it.
Suits m just fine, solid dependable bike that does most everything well - not spectacular but well.
 
I walked right past a 2013 in a Honda dealer in 2013. It took me completely by supprise. I remember thinking that bike is so cool because it looked like all my older Hondas (Nighthawk 750, CB900C, CB500, CB175, etc.). I knew right then and there that one day I would own one. I chased high HP bikes for a few years after that but knew deep down that a CB1100 was in my future. It was almost like dating a high maintenance super hot girl and knowing that I was ignoring the interesting nice girl that could be my wife. We'll, now I have my 2017 and the high HP machines are gone. lol
 
I was looking for something a little more retro and better looking than today"s crop of transformer inspired styles. I was in Indianapolis looking at the Triumph Bonneville and returned home seriously considering a T100 or T120. Some days later I was looking at the Dealer's website and saw a 2013 (red) for sale with less than 2500 miles. Called and put a deposit on it that day and picked it up a week later.
 
Back
Top