how did he smoke/color his screen THAT black??

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
how did the owner (whomever he is, don't remember, but got it from this board I think) of this road comet fairing make his screen so dark?



Black spray the rear side of the shield?


I got the smoked version, but its not nearly as black as the one pictured above.

Thanks
 
That's typically how it's done, spray-painting the back side. I did that on a bikini fairing years ago. Painting the "inside" gives an incredibly even covering when viewed from the "outside", through the plastic. Be sure the paint you use is safe for plastic, though! ;)
 
One or 2 guys have done what Papa said and painted the back side. They have posted about it.
 
Thread starter
I was thinking of using my left over of black Plast-Dip ;)

No harm can be done since its removable.
 
I used hammered black spray paint. I also power sanded the inside surface before paint as well.

82a4a2766bc8f83fdf936317966fb853.jpg


f7b7ea59363d6c85010bfb58786cbeb3.jpg
 
It should work just fine usgmac. I sprayed my headlight brackets with black plasti dip. Just be careful when re-tightening bolts. It will pull and rip.
Mirrors, just don't get it on any threaded part and you shouldn't have an issue.
 
I'd never heard of Plasti-dip until reading about it on this forum (Thanks Guth, "you've done it again"). My Dart Flyscreen is beginning to look decidedly tatty; stone chips, hard headed insects (hoppers that leave that big yellow splotch), tar from roadwork and my efforts to remove the aforesaid have left their mark. Three solutions available; firstly, appreciate that well used patina; secondly, order a new screen, sans brackets, from Dart; finally, coat the inside with a dark Plasti-dip and see how that looks.

Tha Plasti-dip option looks as though it might be fun and if it fails I can always revert to options one or two. I have watched a YouTube of a bloke doing the wheels of his gruntmobile. Applying the stuff doesn't look that difficult. In fact, it looks like it's easy as falling off a log. Has anyone on the forum actually applied this stuff to a screen? Is the Plasti-dip primer required? Does the lip of the finished product resist peeling back from the top and edges of the screen? Does the finish require care when removing dust etc. Is it rum, or even tea proof? The bloke doing his wheels used Plasti-dip remover to mask off his tyres. Would a careful smear of remover be required around the outside edges of the screen to prevent overspray and give a nice even edge?

If you've done it or have any advice I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers
 
Back
Top