Horsepower..IF

I would still keep my CB. It's perfect the way it is plus the torque delivery is really where it shines. I do have the option to jump on my Tuono V4r for the days that I feel like going ludicrous speed but for most daily riding situations the CB is way better. It's a very well rounded bike with a perfect balance of speed, torque, handling, comfort and reliability. Not to mention the classic and timeless design and the exceptional build quality.
 
Back when I was a young kid, horse power ratings were big things with cars. Today you see folks in a HP contest with some of the sport cars and some trucks. For everybody else; it's styling, mileage, AWD or FWD features, sound system etc. HP typically does not make the top ten list. As long as it has enough to get up the hill or pull the trailer it does not seem to be that big a deal.

Bikes are getting there. And the CB certainly does not need any more horsepower.
 
Most of those complaining about a lack of power haven't the skill to use half the power of a CB.

On my trip to Florida last week most of my ride was easy cruising on two lane country roads. However, I used I-75 to bypass Ocala (about 40 miles) and cruised effortlessly at 80 to 85 mph hanging with fast moving traffic. Two occasions I recall required nothing more than a twist of the throttle in top gear to pass slower traffic and netted 92 mph indicated. Again, effortless, the motor simply purring. The CB is not under powered and would have been called an experts only super bike not too many years ago. It is in fact a marvelous machine that brings back the look and feel of older Japanese in-line fours except smoother and simpler to maintain thanks to fuel injection and modern electrics.
 
If Honda produced a yellow CB1100 producing 143 hp, it still would not go as fast as my black 2011. There's just no way you can make a yellow bike go as fast as a black one. It's a law of the universe, right?
 
Nope:exclamation: My 2013 is the perfect all around bike for ME:P I can go anywhere I want on it at reasonable speed and comfort. It handles like a dream, takes corners on a dime and with the luggage can carry most anything I can buy.

It has oodles of power with the open exhaust and PCV fueler. Did the pair thing and no more poping and spitting. A few days ago a mustang GT decided I shouldn't be getting on the freeway ahead of him, he got boated real bad:excited: how much more power does one need:huh:

Had a chance to trade it for a 2014 but this bike is pretty near perfect, just keep scootin:biker:

ralph
 
Would not. I like the look of my 2013 better than the new one. As I'm assuming they share alot of common engineering, I'd rather wait for a new one to get wrecked and put the engine from it into my 2013 bike.
 
Brookland27_imp said:
I'd rather they made a 750 that's 100 lbs lighter and around 80 hp. Might trade up for that.
Agreed. That'd be a more desirable bike for me too, but I don't think I'd necessarily trade up (down).
 
At my age I'm happy with the HP, i'm more interested in the 0-60 speed more then anything, I would do a reflash to get rid of the limiter and have the bike the way it could and should be, it would be more fun telling people that it will do 150 mph, not that I would push it that far, I get the strangest look when I tell them that it is limited to 112 mph. It's funny though, when I got this bike it was my first big and heavy bike and made me nervous to ride it, but after wrestling and putting 4000 miles this summer on my 850 pound valkyrie, the CB 1100 now feels almost like a small light weight monkey/pit bike. Go figure, still love it though.
 
Thread starter
Headbanger I know where you are coming from. mY other bike weighs 717 pounds. When I push out the CB for a ride, its like pushing out a dirt bike lol
 
Perfectly happy as is. More than enough power for any use I will have for it. So would not trade it for a HP reason, or any other for that matter.
 
I have little doubt that Honda would have sold quite a few more CB1100s by now if they could claim that it put out 100+ horsepower. (A lower price would be the other major draw.) Still, I'm plenty happy with the power deliver of my CB. So to answer the question: No. I bought my 2013 CB1100 primarily because of the looks. The yellow example strays even further away from what attracted me to the bike than the 2014 models did. I'll be sticking with what I have.

Like others here, I'd be happier with my CB1100 if it weighed less as opposed to it having more horsepower. While the CB1100 might feel light compared to a bike that weighs 700+ pounds it still feels somewhat porky compared to my Hawk GT (at a bit over 400 lbs.).
 
One of my other bikes makes about the same hp (90) but weighs 120 lbs. less. It's also "only" an 800. It's quicker, faster, and better handling than the CB, but that's fine by me. My CB is my "cruiser."
 
The CB "only" has 90HP.:)
I'm not worrying about the fact.

Mostly on my trips, I don't even use half of the
power and it feels fine. So, I'm not interested
in a Honda 1100 that provides more power,
because this bike has more power than I normally use.

This written doesn't mean, that I don't enjoy the power -
from time to time, but the power wasn't my main intention,
why I bought this motorbike. There were other reasons,
why I like to drive it.

My W800 has round about 48HP and they are still enough,
not all of them used very often.

So the CB is more than enough for me.

Wisedrum
 
I certainly am more than happy with my CB's power--- cops are everywhere and I don't have the right hand resolve not to use it if I have it--- one of the reasons I purchased the bike was plenty of power but you are very aware with the wind blast at 100 plus, helps with my restraint. The torque for me is all I need.
 
I also currently have a FZ09, and that's my hooligan bike, however.

I often find myself going very, very, fast on the CB, she's just so settled even above the ton, wheras the FZ gets quite squirrely at those same speeds, and I've upgraded the suspension on the FZ to the best that's availaible, afaik

There's a vid on youtube comparing the FZ and the CB directly at the track, and the CB was not much slower then the FZ, which came as a bit of a surprise. The CB isn't anywhere as 'quick', but sure does handle far better, speaking of the balance of throttle to brakes to suspension.

Even though she's a heavy pig, when compared to my FZ, I love my CB.
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the biggest complaints I hear from non CB 1100 owners on the onternet, is the bikes lack of horsepower. Common internet complaints say if only it had 110 horsepower I would think about buying one.

So.... There are pics of the CB 1100, supposedly a 2016 prototype, the one with the yellow tank, floating around on the web.

Here comes the IF part of the title..... IF this CB produced 110 horsepower, would that be enough to make you trade in your present CB 1100 for the more powerful version? Or are you happy with the horsepower your bike currently has?
This was a common complaint in other forums when the bike first came out. People thought HP ##'s where just to low. If you go to the ZRX site and type in CB1100 you'll see thread discussions regarding the bike.

HP is not just for going fast, its the effortless high speed cruising the takes the hit when numbers are down. The CB is in its comfort zone at 60-70MPH, once you get into 75-85 wind resistance and HP play a big factor on comfort. I never felt comfortable at 80MPH which is the main reason i sold the bike. If the bike was pushing out more HP like my GS1100EZ there would be less vibration and less throttle input needed. When i ride my GS which is naked, these speeds are effortless. More HP would make the CB more enjoyable at all speeds and would allow for taller gearing.
 
Back
Top