Horn Relocation

Bheezy27403_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I did a search for moving the hideous horns and ended up with a thread in CB photos with mjvielle's modded CB. Thought I would repost the question here as this sub menu is more active (mods feel free to delete the other post as it will be superfluous).

As I have said one of the first mods I did on the Bonnie was to move the horn under the tank. Really cleans up the front. My lovely CB has TWO VERY PROMINENT horns on the front that MUST be moved. Where did they go mjveille?
 
mjveille hasn't checked in for a few months. You might click on his name and send him an email
 
I got rid of mine completely. Bought a Stebel air horn, separated the compressor from the horn. Mounted the horn behind the left turn signal and the compressor under the seat. The horn is still up front but not hanging down between the forks.
 
It has amazed me how much people have put some sort of aesthetic over function more and more in recent years. The horns are not hideous by any means and are located in the most effective spot that they can be on the bike. I'd much rather have the horn(s) right in the offenders ear than have them hidden and muffled in some way.

My $.02.
 
I'm OK where the horns are located at, do like the idea of a chrome ring around it that was discussed on another thread, did a search for it on one of the honda parts websites without much luck, didn't try very hard though....
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
It has amazed me how much people have put some sort of aesthetic over function more and more in recent years. The horns are not hideous by any means and are located in the most effective spot that they can be on the bike. I'd much rather have the horn(s) right in the offenders ear than have them hidden and muffled in some way.

My $.02.
I have moved the single horn on my other bike with no problems or muffled effect. It most definately can still be heard as I use it regularly and cagers take notice. With the dual horns on the CB I would expect the same. I'm not taking off my headlight or or tailight I just want to hide the horns.
 
I use it regularly and cagers take notice.
That is exactly how I think about the general public talking, texting, putting on makeup or what ever they are doing that is more important than driving.
 
Catbird_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
I really like the horns where they are.
+1
+1
++. but i also want to put a badboy wolo air horn on it. when/if i do i would want to leave the stock horns where they are (even if they do not work) as they look "right" being there. trying to find a good location to mount it. i have one on the sportster and the er6n. never tried to seperate the compressor from the horn before though.
dailyrider_imp said:
I got rid of mine completely. Bought a Stebel air horn, separated the compressor from the horn. Mounted the horn behind the left turn signal and the compressor under the seat. The horn is still up front but not hanging down between the forks.
got pics??
 
A buddy just replaced his stock horns on a Moto Guzzi Centauro with Hella's. Big red guys, and loud. Impressive. Has got me thinking along the same lines.
 
Is there already a relay in circuit with the stock horns? If aftermarket electric horns of the same general type were installed would a relay or relays be required?

I don't want to risk frying my wiring or horn switch if the new horns draw more current!
 
In the past, I have replaced various stock, pathetic-sounding ("meep" / "meep") motorcycle horns with either the Stebel Nautilus or the Wolo Bad Boy horns and have been pleased with the improved sound. To me, they both sound nearly identical.

Regarding the two stock horns on my 2014 CB1100 I believe they are quite acceptable in both sound and appearance. If I WAS going to replace them, I would strongly consider the Piaa Slimline horns.

The author is kinda long winded, but if you stay with it and watch the following video, I think it will be worth it...
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Is there already a relay in circuit with the stock horns? If aftermarket electric horns of the same general type were installed would a relay or relays be required?

I don't want to risk frying my wiring or horn switch if the new horns draw more current!
The wiring diagram shows no relay for the horns. voltage from the 10 amp Stop/Horn fuse is sent to the horn switch and when you push it, sends it to the horn.
 
In looking at the horn brackets I noticed that the current draw of the horns is printed on the back of the brackets. Just FYI.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
In looking at the horn brackets I noticed that the current draw of the horns is printed on the back of the brackets. Just FYI.
Thanks! If I find any new horns I like, I'll just have to make sure they use roughly the same amperage as the stock horns (give or take a few milliamps should be safe).
 
I don't find the stock placement of the horns offensive. I think they look fine, and they are placed where they are most useful. If you want to make them look better in their stock location, maybe some chrome covers like this would help.

http://www.motoparthub.com/1_213_Sh...c=Google&gclid=CO6l6-zAuMkCFQ86gQodbA0C8A

I too use my horn to occasionally send a friendly "hey! You do see me right?!" greeting, but my feelings are that if you have time to hit the horn, you have time to evade which is always better.
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
I don't find the stock placement of the horns offensive. I think they look fine, and they are placed where they are most useful. If you want to make them look better in their stock location, maybe some chrome covers like this would help.

http://www.motoparthub.com/1_213_Sh...c=Google&gclid=CO6l6-zAuMkCFQ86gQodbA0C8A

I too use my horn to occasionally send a friendly "hey! You do see me right?!" greeting, but my feelings are that if you have time to hit the horn, you have time to evade which is always better.
I spent several hours searching the interweb for something like that to fit the CB1100 horns.

The link you found was typical of what is available in a cover. However, like almost all covers available, it won't work as it is designed to snap on a very large 3-1/2" diameter horn.
I could not find anything to fit the smaller CB1100 horn which is roughly 2-7/8" diameter.

Samurider advised that the horns made for the old Honda Magnas may be interchangeable. They had a chrome ring around them and may be the horns used on the yellow 2016 concept CB1100. I have yet to investigate a source for these...
 
Back
Top