Horn Relocation

Thread starter
I've tidied up the front end a little by re-locating the horns on to the front indicator mounts.

One to open up the front a bit and two, it help disgust the front indicator mount, now i've re jibed the front end around...

I'm going to paint those headlamp brackets black, I think. I was considering looking the big black mount that the front indicators sit on, but think It might end up giving me a pain in the arse... anyone else done that?

24e29a304dcd9df58211d0df47741c43.html

[/img]
a4963cdd57958cf56649322ceaea8188.jpg

78a6a40ecb49fbf1e6c53ede235c1883.jpg
 
It's an interesting idea...but, I think you now need some sort of aluminum or stainless steel trim piece bolted to the lower triple tree to hide the brake distribution block...possibly something with "HONDA" on it? Didn't some older Hondas like the Magnas have something like that?
 
Thread starter
They did, and I quite liked the look as I remember. Nice Idea. I might look one out...
I do prefer the front end less cluttered, it make the bike seem more svelte.
I think it looks better in real life than the pictures make it appear. I'll pop up another pic, in better light. Focussing just on that area makes the brake diss. block stand out a bit.

Also, apologies for not proof reading my original post... an ≠F for Grammar.
 
Nice. I want to strap a roll bag to my front forks and your relocation idea will allow me to do it. Thanks. (Same roll bag that I had attached on my old 1979 CX500 front forks)
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
It's an interesting idea...but, I think you now need some sort of aluminum or stainless steel trim piece bolted to the lower triple tree to hide the brake distribution block...possibly something with "HONDA" on it? Didn't some older Hondas like the Magnas have something like that?
in the asian facebook pages i saw several owners have that piece

 
The 2 horns at front is imo the best look for this bike, its classic and classy.

Looking at the bike with the horns as you put them is off, even funny.
If Honda had them located sidewards, I'd do everything to try and locate them facing forward :)

Either you let them where they are or you try to hide them completely... but I'm not a fan of your relocation, but thats just me.

why relocate when the other option is putting a horn with a thicker chrome edge, that looks classy







They are from a CB1300 Honda.
its comparable with the prototype


And on the future models they seem to have borrowed the horns from that other model, like used on the cb on the first pictures above.


The horns complements the look of the front of this bike for sure.
 
Riko_imp said:
The 2 horns at front is imo the best look for this bike, its classic and classy.

Looking at the bike with the horns as you put them is off, even funny.
If Honda had them located sidewards, I'd do everything to try and locate them facing forward :)

Either you let them where they are or you try to hide them completely... but I'm not a fan of your relocation, but thats just me.

why relocate when the other option is putting a horn with a thicker chrome edge, that looks classy







They are from a CB1300 Honda.
its comparable with the prototype


And on the future models they seem to have borrowed the horns from that other model, like used on the cb on the first pictures above.


The horns complements the look of the front of this bike for sure.
I like these horns too, but have not been able to find a part number or a source. Have you or any of our forum members across the pond found a source?
I've looked under CB1300 replacement parts for various model years, but have been unsuccessful...
 
Thread starter
They do look a bit unusual Riko, I'll grant you that... Funny, possibly, I thought cute, cheeky even! I'm letting them sit there for a while until I decide where to put them.
There's just too many circles from the front, in the original position, for me. I wanted to de-clutter... I may hide them completely.

Using the indicators where I have them reveals the original indicator mounts. I could remove them and either hide the horns or put them back.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
The 2 horns at front is imo the best look for this bike, its classic and classy.

Looking at the bike with the horns as you put them is off, even funny.
If Honda had them located sidewards, I'd do everything to try and locate them facing forward :)

Either you let them where they are or you try to hide them completely... but I'm not a fan of your relocation, but thats just me.

why relocate when the other option is putting a horn with a thicker chrome edge, that looks classy







They are from a CB1300 Honda.
its comparable with the prototype


And on the future models they seem to have borrowed the horns from that other model, like used on the cb on the first pictures above.


The horns complements the look of the front of this bike for sure.
I like these horns too, but have not been able to find a part number or a source. Have you or any of our forum members across the pond found a source?
I've looked under CB1300 replacement parts for various model years, but have been unsuccessful...
I like these horns too, but have not been able to find a part number or a source. Have you or any of our forum members across the pond found a source?
I've looked under CB1300 replacement parts for various model years, but have been unsuccessful...
those horns i posted above are from the latest cb1300 models, I think 2014 end up, or even 2015 and up..

unfortunatelly the new cb1300's are only sold on the Asian markets..

but I've send a pm to the asian owner of that cb and asked him to share the link of the webshop in asia where he bought the horns, he's looking in to it now.
 
Email Mr. T. He might be able to get them.
 
Sound, being directional, means that your horns are a lot less effective now. I assume you knew that going in and are OK with it, but for me, I wouldn't be. The stock horns on the CB are quite loud (louder than a motorcycle generally has, IMO). A lady nearly crapped herself one time when she decided she was going to try to change lanes into the space I was already occupying.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Sound, being directional, means that your horns are a lot less effective now. I assume you knew that going in and are OK with it, but for me, I wouldn't be. The stock horns on the CB are quite loud (louder than a motorcycle generally has, IMO). A lady nearly crapped herself one time when she decided she was going to try to change lanes into the space I was already occupying.
I agree with you on this, AzBob.

Quote: A lady nearly crapped herself one time when she decided she was going
to try
to change lanes into the space I was already occupying.
But that's the one case where I thought pointing 'em sideways might not hurt! :)
 
Thread starter
It depends who your warning... For me It's usually to tell pedestrians that are crossing on a red that your coming thru. Or to warn a cyclist I'm passing. In those cases they are to the front and side. Plenty loud enough and I've had bikes with horns on the side before. Those horns aren't very directional.
 
Let me resuscitate this thread to ask:

Has anyone managed to relocate the horns on top of the oil-cooler?

I'd like to remove some of the "bling" (17RS), and I'd like to hide a bit the shine of the horns from where it is.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Sound, being directional, means that your horns are a lot less effective now. I assume you knew that going in and are OK with it, but for me, I wouldn't be. The stock horns on the CB are quite loud (louder than a motorcycle generally has, IMO). A lady nearly crapped herself one time when she decided she was going to try to change lanes into the space I was already occupying.
+1, safety first, appearance second

pb
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Let me resuscitate this thread to ask:

Has anyone managed to relocate the horns on top of the oil-cooler?

I'd like to remove some of the "bling" (17RS), and I'd like to hide a bit the shine of the horns from where it is.

Easy enough- several people have put the '17 horns on their older bikes so have the smaller less blingy earlier horns probably sitting in a box.

Make a post in the classifieds and ask for a set- or check Ebay.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Let me resuscitate this thread to ask:

Has anyone managed to relocate the horns on top of the oil-cooler?

I'd like to remove some of the "bling" (17RS), and I'd like to hide a bit the shine of the horns from where it is.

Easy enough- several people have put the '17 horns on their older bikes so have the smaller less blingy earlier horns probably sitting in a box.

Make a post in the classifieds and ask for a set- or check Ebay.

Easy enough- several people have put the '17 horns on their older bikes so have the smaller less blingy earlier horns probably sitting in a box.

Make a post in the classifieds and ask for a set- or check Ebay.
Do you know if they sound as loud on the older models as on the new ones?
 
I think I would have to agree with some of the other comments here. Although it is a unique idea and look, the horns on motorcycles, cars, and sirens on emergency vehicles face forward for efficiency and safety reasons. As far as covering the original turn signal mounts are concerned, you could use an appropriate size black nylon hole filler cap similar to what I used in this thread for the hex hole in my front axle: A Clean Little 69 Cent Mod.

You could also possibly use an appropriate size round reflector which would give a bit more visibility from the side at night. Either a reflector or a hole cap would give a clean look at minimal cost. Safety outweighs look for me every time.
 
Back
Top