Honda Toolkit

Whoops

Been there
Thread starter
Since I'm not riding at the moment while I sort out some health concerns, I figured I would kit out my CB a bit. After meeting LakeWylieJoe and observing his zeal for all things related to 80's Honda nostalgia, I figured I would assemble a complete toolkit for the spacious trunk of the bike.

Honda sells the toolkit piecemeal and it seems that just like McDonalds Monopoly, you can get every piece you need save for one. That missing piece would be a hex wrench of apparently unknown proportions. I say unknown because apparently not one single parts house lists the item number on their fiche even though the part clearly exists on the exploded diagram. What is part number 5 and why are we not allowed to see the details? What is Honda covering up?

I give you exhibit A, PartZilla toolkit parts list where number 5 must exist but has been erased for some nefarious reason.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/cb1100-ac/tool

And exhibit B. The same part missing from another parts vendor.
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c16f870021404ec5a54/tool

Exhibit C...
Shop 2014 Honda CB1100 TOOL OEM Parts Diagram - RevZilla

I submit that this scandal has the propensity to rock the 3rd party parts market once the news media gets hold of this.

FREE PART #5!!!
 
Elusive part number 5 is simply a 6mm Allen wrench (p/n 89221-460-840) used to tighten the axle pinch bolts on the forks. It was first removed from the tool kit listing because of the hex wrench embargo resulting from fake hex wrenches from China being sold on Amazon. Some of the hex wrenches had 7 sides. Some had 5 sides, but came with a triangle shaped piece that you could slip into the bolt head as the 6th side.

Back around the 1st of April, a passenger on a plane bound for the US from mainland China was caught with several exotic parrots inside his coat that had been sedated. The birds were x-rayed and found to have 6mm hex wrenches in their stomachs! The hex wrenches have been found buried inside heroin and pot bundles smuggled in from Mexico.

Until this international crisis can be resolved, Honda is omitting them from the tool kits listings. However, they are working on a hex shaped sleeve to slide over the 5mm Allen wrench with 0.5mm thick walls to enlarge it to 6mm, but only in prototype stage now. However, the price will likely exceed the cost of a new Grom.

This information came from an extreme-centrist web site, so cannot vouch for anything beyond the first sentence.
 
BRILLIANT GENTS!!!
b64db13def777edd6bc2c10783db9f75.png


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 
Now I'm going to have to check my kit to see if I have that one. I'm 99% sure I ordered and received all of those items right after I bought the bike.

Stand by for update tonight.
 
My $ 12,000 ST 1300's tool kit consisted of a 5mm Allen wrench and a 2" x 4" piece of 1/8" thick black foam. Never did figure out what the foam was for.

I have no idea what my $16,000 FJR had in the tool kit. I never took off the seat in 2 1/2 years and 38,400 miles.

And to tell you the absolute truth, I have no idea what is in the toolkit of my CB 1100.
 
Ferret, You don’t know what the foam was for??? I bet you don’t know how to use the 3 shells either ;)
 
What are the three shells? You mean as in a shell game? 3 cups and a ball?
 
Sorry buddy. You have to Google The Three Shells yourself. (It is not dirty).
 
I'm almost ashamed to admit I don't have the full toolkit. I'm missing the mysterious Allen Wrench #5! I'm going to have to track one down.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My $ 12,000 ST 1300's tool kit consisted of a 5mm Allen wrench and a 2" x 4" piece of 1/8" thick black foam. Never did figure out what the foam was for.

I have no idea what my $16,000 FJR had in the tool kit. I never took off the seat in 2 1/2 years and 38,400 miles.

And to tell you the absolute truth, I have no idea what is in the toolkit of my CB 1100.
And this is the perfect explanation why they don't put tool kits in any longer........:D
 
My Honda came with a "Philips" screw driver, fuse puller, and a vinyl pouch.

Spanning five decades I have never used a toolkit. Apparently, Honda doesn't think I need any either.
 
I cant ever remember using a Honda tool kit
 
This is one of those things I will never need. I take very good care of my bike in my own garage and have a great set of Snap On tools for everything at home. However, the first time I leave the Honda kit at home so I can put something else under my seat, something will happen and I'll need it. Sure as heck.

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."
 
Thread starter
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
I'm almost ashamed to admit I don't have the full toolkit. I'm missing the mysterious Allen Wrench #5! I'm going to have to track one down.
You could always add some Honda pliers. My ‘82 CB900C had some in the kit. I suppose putting them in this kit strays from the OEM toolkit list, but pliers are indispensable in my opinion.
 
Whoops_imp said:
Since I'm not riding at the moment while I sort out some health concerns, I figured I would kit out my CB a bit. After meeting LakeWylieJoe and observing his zeal for all things related to 80's Honda nostalgia, I figured I would assemble a complete toolkit for the spacious trunk of the bike.

Honda sells the toolkit piecemeal and it seems that just like McDonalds Monopoly, you can get every piece you need save for one. That missing piece would be a hex wrench of apparently unknown proportions. I say unknown because apparently not one single parts house lists the item number on their fiche even though the part clearly exists on the exploded diagram. What is part number 5 and why are we not allowed to see the details? What is Honda covering up?

I give you exhibit A, PartZilla toolkit parts list where number 5 must exist but has been erased for some nefarious reason.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/cb1100-ac/tool

And exhibit B. The same part missing from another parts vendor.
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c16f870021404ec5a54/tool

Exhibit C...
Shop 2014 Honda CB1100 TOOL OEM Parts Diagram - RevZilla

I submit that this scandal has the propensity to rock the 3rd party parts market once the news media gets hold of this.

FREE PART #5!!!
I think PartsFish may be cheaper than all 3 of these on some of the items.
 
Micheal, Some time ago I got a wild hair to complete the tool kit for my 2017EX. I know I will probably never use it, and just chalk it up to being anal retentive. The "full" 2017 kit takes much careful fiddling, organizing, layering, etc., etc. to get everything in the plastic snap flap Honda tool kit pouch. Your 2014 shows even more items that the 2017, so be prepared for a puzzel getting everything in the bag if you have not already. Here is the 2017 "full kit" :
ttps://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5907903487a8660d54fac347/tool

I remembered back in the day how water got in tool pouches from rain, bike washes, and the like, turning those already minimal tools into a rusty mess. Unbeknownst to my better half, I borrowed her seal a meal vacuum packer, vacuum sealed the entire pouch with contents inside, and put it back in the bike. I grew up in a time where men always carried a pocket knife, so if I ever need that tool kit ( probably not ), I will just use my pocket knife to cut the seal a meal bag open.

Hope you get your health issues resolved. Misery loves company as I am dealing with a health issue as well. Getting older is not for the faint of heart.

:biker:
 
2017EX_imp said:
Micheal, Some time ago I got a wild hair to complete the tool kit for my 2017EX. I know I will probably never use it, and just chalk it up to being anal retentive. The "full" 2017 kit takes much careful fiddling, organizing, layering, etc., etc. to get everything in the plastic snap flap Honda tool kit pouch. Your 2014 shows even more items that the 2017, so be prepared for a puzzel getting everything in the bag if you have not already. Here is the 2017 "full kit" :
ttps://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5907903487a8660d54fac347/tool

I remembered back in the day how water got in tool pouches from rain, bike washes, and the like, turning those already minimal tools into a rusty mess. Unbeknownst to my better half, I borrowed her seal a meal vacuum packer, vacuum sealed the entire pouch with contents inside, and put it back in the bike. I grew up in a time where men always carried a pocket knife, so if I ever need that tool kit ( probably not ), I will just use my pocket knife to cut the seal a meal bag open.

Hope you get your health issues resolved. Misery loves company as I am dealing with a health issue as well. Getting older is not for the faint of heart.

:biker:
I have yet to buy a CB1100 with a tool kit. I carry a few multipurpose items, but I did put in my cart today for PartsFish the bag & service book. Who knows I may do the same just for fun and get it. Years ago we always got one!
I had forgot until I saw this post, I did buy the spanner to do my shocks last year.
 
Back
Top