Honda Project bike thoughts?

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Love my `14 CB1100DX, but looking for some additional entertainment. Thought about getting a Honda project bike to inspire and aggravate me. When I just got back into cycle in 2015, bought a unblemished `93 750 Nighthawk that went directly to cycle shop for 6 months of repairs … bought my CB1100 while waiting the 6 months. I only did a little scavaging for the 750, so I really have no project bike experience.
*
Anybody have any suggests for where to look for a project bike and what model? Love the v45 and v65 and cx500, but not many around. Thought maybe something between 400cc and 900cc, but guess anything could work. Probably most expensive thing will be tools, plus have to kick my wife out half the garage … its mine right ? :)
 
If you have no previous project bike experience, you might want to consider starting with something smaller, and relatively more simple. For example something in the mini trail series of Honda bikes, Z50 or CT70. All the basic principles will be the same as in larger bikes, it will still be challenging/rewarding as an experience, but also easier to handle as a first time project.
 
I am not too sure about that approach.. I have done over 120 bikes, just as a hobby.. I found the smaller ones don't sell for as much as the larger ones when completed, but have basically the same costs and labor involved.. not that you are doing it for the money, but it is always a consideration..
 
A project Honda sounds like fun. I like the 1978 and later Honda 400 and 450 Hawk/CM series. They are generally reliable, very easy to work on, have good parts availability, and inexpensive.
I'd stay away from the v-twins and v-fours because the carbs are more difficult to work on.
 
my favorites were Honda goldwing 1000's and 1100's .. carbs are the main cause of failures.. learn them and life will be good.. they are more of an old man's bike and they will not be as thrashed as others.. good parts availability ..
 
I agree with 2017EX... Start with a small bike and learn the basics. A small bike is easy to repair and less moving parts as a multi cylinder bike. A 2 Stroke is a lot easier than a 4 Stroke. I like the pre 70s bikes myself. Yes there is not a huge profit in a small bike but if done right you can make some cash. Cleaning and setting multi carburetor bikes is not easy for the beginner.

Here is the best bit of advice I can give... Buy only unmolested bikes as you do not want someone else's mistake. Get complete non runners and just make the repairs and sell. Most times the non runners just need simple maintenance to get them going. Most times it is a dirty fuel system. Titles are a must for me now. KNOW WHEN TO STOP! Do not get po'd and keep throwing money at the bike turning it into a "Money Pit"!

The Comprehensive Vintage Motorcycle Price Guide helps to give you an estimate of the value of the bike but it is not a guarantee of value. Also getting the Honda ID guide is a help too. I have ID Guides for the Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki bikes and use them all the time to identify the bike I am buying.
 
That's funny. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting a CX500 for sale. They're everywhere. Agree with Duck that the CM series are good basic bikes to start with. My first streetbike was an '80 400CMt. Very easy to work on and build confidence. Very reliable bikes with tons of parts to find easily.
 
Hey bflint, I was in the same boat as you once. I wanted to shake things up a bit and buy a bike to wrench on, and found a '93 Nighthawk. I put it back in perfect OEM condition and rode it for a few years before passing it on. I figured that was a nice, simple bike that would either make me want to restore more bikes, but I got my jollies on that one, and have just taken care of my small rotating fleet since then.

As others have said, the carbs needed a good cleaning, and I got some great tips from friends on making them sing. Why do I think there are more project CX500s now than CX500s actually made? My friend showed up on one recently.

And, shameless plug, if you still have that Nighthawk, and it's Tahitian Blue, I have a new OEM right side panel for one if you are interested.
 
2017EX_imp said:
If you have no previous project bike experience, you might want to consider starting with something smaller, and relatively more simple. For example something in the mini trail series of Honda bikes, Z50 or CT70. All the basic principles will be the same as in larger bikes, it will still be challenging/rewarding as an experience, but also easier to handle as a first time project.
Might want to look past the 50-CT70 Honda’s,prices for these thing are insane. I’ve got an early CT70 that I was restoring but until I can secure my garage to keep some looser from stealing it I’ve put it on hold. Fully restored examples are going for $7000+,this for a minibike that was less than $400 new.
 
bflint_imp said:
Love my `14 CB1100DX, but looking for some additional entertainment. Thought about getting a Honda project bike to inspire and aggravate me. When I just got back into cycle in 2015, bought a unblemished `93 750 Nighthawk that went directly to cycle shop for 6 months of repairs … bought my CB1100 while waiting the 6 months. I only did a little scavaging for the 750, so I really have no project bike experience.
*
Anybody have any suggests for where to look for a project bike and what model? Love the v45 and v65 and cx500, but not many around. Thought maybe something between 400cc and 900cc, but guess anything could work. Probably most expensive thing will be tools, plus have to kick my wife out half the garage … its mine right ? :)
Before we saddle you with a huge project, wondering what might be your skill level, what you plan to do with it, modify or keep it stock.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
didn't some of those cx500's have water pump troubles.. I barely can remember.. I had a couple of them ..:s
here are two of my little cx500's..
.
b6e2037db60a17020a0c1fe376d0e906.jpg

.
99620289d7f30e99525ffb4151c8c8eb.jpg
[/b]
 
I am going to second the Honda goldwing 1000's and 1100's suggestion. An older fellow pulled up one day when I was out with my Harley crew. He was on an old Goldwing, and was as proud as a peacock! If I recall correctly, he had about $40 in a 4 carb rebuild kit.
 
Thread starter
Thank you everyone! Love all the input and advice ... knew that many folks on this forum are cycle gurus ... and thanks for the pretty CX500 pictures (they did have some problems with the plastic composite fan blades cracking and causing funny noises). I think everyone's opinion/comments have value ... it just I did not really provide you folks with my perspective .. eg, I am not really into for reselling but don't want to invest a fortune either. Also, I grew up in my dad's small aircraft repair shop (Flint Aero) so mechanical stuff doesn't really intimidate me, plus I did do a complete tear down and rebuild of my 1964 Plymouth Valiant slant six engine in 1973 ... it did not need it but hey when your 17 in auto shop you need a project .. right? However ... I would be starting from scratch at this point in my life. I have no tools (except for wood working), no local machine shop contacts, and I need to develop some restoration contacts (for parts and knowledge). I am ok with that. Now what do I tell the wife ...
 
this guy knows his way around older goldwings .. sells his own parts, has his own manual.. corrects mistakes made in other manuals.. has a school, if I remember.. the real deal, if you decide to go down that goldwing road.. randakk website is the place to look ..
.
537376fc2d10a21605aeee2c843e25ef.jpg
 
Back
Top