Honda oil filter cut open

Sam Mac_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just thought you guys would like to see what the inside of a Honda oil filter looks like. I have an oil filter cutter from back in the day when I used to race cars. I always cut open the filters to see if something was starting to go wrong. Anyway I'm very impressed with the construction of the OEM filter.
 
Cool wish you had a K&N to cut open so we could see the difference
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Cool wish you had a K&N to cut open so we could see the difference
If someone wants to send one to me I'll be happy to cut it open and post pics.
 
Great.. always better to stick with OEM ...Can you please post the picture of your oil filter cutting tool.. I have never seen one..
 
Thread starter
venturer434_imp said:
Great.. always better to stick with OEM ...Can you please post the picture of your oil filter cutting tool.. I have never seen one..
The cutter I use is home made. I bought a couple pipe cutter wheels and made the rest. Here is a link for a cutter.
Pardon Our Interruption

 
Thanks Sam Mac, I've never seen inside a filter before. Reassuring to know that you think the Honda part is good quality.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Thanks Sam Mac, I've never seen inside a filter before. Reassuring to know that you think the Honda part is good quality.
I've been cutting filters open for years. Saved me from a bearing failure on a race engine. Found bearing material in the filter after a race, pulled the engine down and found a rear main starting to fail.

Honestly the Honda filter is probably one of the best filters I've seen, the relief valve is much better than what is on any of the Wix filters I've used for years. The filter media appears to be well constructed, the tube that fits inside the filter paper is well designed, the gasket is formed so that it is retained by the base, the can and base are very well built. It took some effort to cut it open, considering that it sit's directly behind the front wheel and could be impacted by a rock picked up by the wheel I'm happy to see a rugged can. For my money I'm staying with the OEM filter.
 
Welcome, thepav.
 
Thanks for the effort to cut 'er open and share the pics, not to mention your insight into the construction based on your years of experience. Wix is a quality brand, so it's nice to learn the Honda filter is up to snuff with it and in some ways better.

Great stuff!
 
Thread starter
I use Wix or NAPA (NAPA filters are Wix filters) in most of my stuff. never had an issue. If any of you guys have aftermarket filters I'd be happy to cut then open and post pics if you wish to send them to me. Just my 2 cents, I just don't see any reason to not use the OEM filter. That said not my engine and not my wallet.
 
Thanks for cutting one open. Nice to know the results. Having said that, I wonder about how we overthink this. Don't know to have ever heard of an engine failing from a poorly designed oil filter. (Maybe improperly installed - hmmm seems there's another thread about that here somewhere.)
 
DAC_imp said:
Thanks for cutting one open. Nice to know the results. Having said that, I wonder about how we overthink this. Don't know to have ever heard of an engine failing from a poorly designed oil filter. (Maybe improperly installed - hmmm seems there's another thread about that here somewhere.)
DAC, check this thread K&N Oil Filters BEWARE!!!
 
Thanks for the reminder. Sheesh, read that a while ago. Spaced out. Sticking with Purolator here.
 
Decades ago a brother had a Kmart oil filter blow it's can off the base and lost all the oil and the engine. It was a Vega so no great loss. I always use quality filters and oil since then. Worth the money.
 
Oh Riceburner, you had one of the finest cars that General Motors produced: The Vega, the Chevette the Oldsmobile V-8 diesels (a diesel head bolted to a gas block with blown head gaskets), etc. I don't have bragging rights since I was driving a Ford Maverick. Thankfully I had (and still have) a Honda CB77 Superhawk with a rear rack to run to a auto parts store and get parts to repair the Maverick! The good old days:exclamation:
 
The Honda filters are made in the USA by Toyo Roki to a very high spec. These are easily one of the best OEM filters I've seen -- even the steel in the case material looks higher quality than most other filters.

@DAC. You can get non-catastrofic failures too: reduced engine life from things like ineffective anti-drainback valves giving you semi-dry starts after sitting, poorly designed filter media or end caps that don't seal and effectively give you reduced filtration, or crappy bypass springs that let the filter run in bypass all the time...
 
Back
Top