Honda Motorcycles says Adios to So Cal

My late father was in the Pacific in WWII as well as the Atlantic as radio operator on a Liberty ship. He would never buy anything made in Germany or Japan. He never quite got over my love for products from both countries.
 
redbirds_imp said:
My late father was in the Pacific in WWII as well as the Atlantic as radio operator on a Liberty ship. He would never buy anything made in Germany or Japan. He never quite got over my love for products from both countries.
Yeah, understood. So many buddies and comrades lost.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery.
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery. wish i could find it but the article i read said all honda will be battery bikes cars etc but i dont remember what they said about generators lol , but lawn equip etc
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
i agree maybe one of the last great air cooled bikes they will make idk id love an electric dirtbike though hopefully they will get it together and lead the pack like they once did
 
cj599_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery.
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery. wish i could find it but the article i read said all honda will be battery bikes cars etc but i dont remember what they said about generators lol , but lawn equip etc
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
i agree maybe one of the last great air cooled bikes they will make idk id love an electric dirtbike though hopefully they will get it together and lead the pack like they once did
I hope it's right. We're all going to have to get used to electric bikes and it would be good to have Honda in the pack.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery.
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery. wish i could find it but the article i read said all honda will be battery bikes cars etc but i dont remember what they said about generators lol , but lawn equip etc
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
i agree maybe one of the last great air cooled bikes they will make idk id love an electric dirtbike though hopefully they will get it together and lead the pack like they once did
I hope it's right. We're all going to have to get used to electric bikes and it would be good to have Honda in the pack.
I hope it's right. We're all going to have to get used to electric bikes and it would be good to have Honda in the pack.
I like the idea about battery-powered generators. That's right in line with de-hydrated water. With motorcycles at least, we can still stick playing cards in the spokes.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery.
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery. wish i could find it but the article i read said all honda will be battery bikes cars etc but i dont remember what they said about generators lol , but lawn equip etc
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
i agree maybe one of the last great air cooled bikes they will make idk id love an electric dirtbike though hopefully they will get it together and lead the pack like they once did
I hope it's right. We're all going to have to get used to electric bikes and it would be good to have Honda in the pack.
Yes, we will need some non-insectoid electric motorcycles. I wonder if Triumph will make a Bonneville with the battery pack disguised as a parallel twin?

After watching Ewan and Charley struggle in Long Way Up, I decided that storage batteries are the wrong way to go for motorcycles, for three reasons: 1) the charging time is untenable 2) the current must be available in real time 3) the current must be sufficient.

I think fuel cell technology would be more analogous to the combustion engine motorcycle. Running low on fuel? Fill up from a bowser and keep riding.
 
Sometimes EV talk reminds me of the old Tom Swift boys' books. :)

bd60cb9f2f11b6a1cb998d7c98fc964b.jpg
 
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery.
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery. wish i could find it but the article i read said all honda will be battery bikes cars etc but i dont remember what they said about generators lol , but lawn equip etc
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
i agree maybe one of the last great air cooled bikes they will make idk id love an electric dirtbike though hopefully they will get it together and lead the pack like they once did
I hope it's right. We're all going to have to get used to electric bikes and it would be good to have Honda in the pack.
Yes, we will need some non-insectoid electric motorcycles. I wonder if Triumph will make a Bonneville with the battery pack disguised as a parallel twin?

After watching Ewan and Charley struggle in Long Way Up, I decided that storage batteries are the wrong way to go for motorcycles, for three reasons: 1) the charging time is untenable 2) the current must be available in real time 3) the current must be sufficient.

I think fuel cell technology would be more analogous to the combustion engine motorcycle. Running low on fuel? Fill up from a bowser and keep riding.
I've though this for a while, although if all manufacturers used a standard battery and designed them to be swapped out quickly, I suspect the recharging problem is irrelevant. Gas stations would become battery stations.

The big 4 in Japan are on to this. See here.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery.
I can’t remember where—maybe somewhere on this forum—but I read today that Honda’s electrification is only cars. Curious because I read somewhere else this week that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed on the specs for a standard battery. wish i could find it but the article i read said all honda will be battery bikes cars etc but i dont remember what they said about generators lol , but lawn equip etc
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Did you see that honda says they are gona be all electric by 2040 :'c
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
And yet, oddly, they don't have a single all-electric car in their lineup in the US. More broadly, at least in the US, they have quickly lost their market position to Hyundai and Kia, and of course Toyota. They are almost in the position the British car and bike makers were in the '60s, staying the course while others zoom past.
Yeah, for quite some time now Honda has been accused of lacking innovation and only making incremental improvements to help sustain product margin. In the meantime the competition has moved on. For decades Honda has been investing in their "robot tech". Maybe suddenly one day every household will have a Honda robot doing the chores - just don't make them human-looking and dressing 'em up (or down). :(

The CB1100 is a modern reminder of Honda past.
i agree maybe one of the last great air cooled bikes they will make idk id love an electric dirtbike though hopefully they will get it together and lead the pack like they once did
I hope it's right. We're all going to have to get used to electric bikes and it would be good to have Honda in the pack.
Yes, we will need some non-insectoid electric motorcycles. I wonder if Triumph will make a Bonneville with the battery pack disguised as a parallel twin?

After watching Ewan and Charley struggle in Long Way Up, I decided that storage batteries are the wrong way to go for motorcycles, for three reasons: 1) the charging time is untenable 2) the current must be available in real time 3) the current must be sufficient.

I think fuel cell technology would be more analogous to the combustion engine motorcycle. Running low on fuel? Fill up from a bowser and keep riding.
I've though this for a while, although if all manufacturers used a standard battery and designed them to be swapped out quickly, I suspect the recharging problem is irrelevant. Gas stations would become battery stations.

The big 4 in Japan are on to this. See here.

I've though this for a while, although if all manufacturers used a standard battery and designed them to be swapped out quickly, I suspect the recharging problem is irrelevant. Gas stations would become battery stations.

The big 4 in Japan are on to this. See [url=https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2021/march/honda-yamaha-kawasaki-suzuki-standardise-electric-bike-batteries]here.
... and [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16579&highlight=battery+standard]here.

Global convenience store chains are already reading into the future and positioning to hopefully participate in this possible new evolution of lower environment impact, long range two-wheeled transportation.
 
I knew I'd seen it somewhere else! Thanks Au₂O₃.
 
Honda still has a presence in Cali. So does Toyota. So does Hyundai and Kia.
So does Yamaha and Kawasaki. All within 30 miles of Long Beach.
 
Thread starter
Rox_imp said:
Honda still has a presence in Cali. So does Toyota. So does Hyundai and Kia.
So does Yamaha and Kawasaki. All within 30 miles of Long Beach.
For a variety of reasons, I suspect they all will for a long while.
 
Hyundai's new-ish headquarters is down the road a bit from my office. Their office is askew of the normal line of office complexes in the area. Beautiful building, visible from the 405, with all of the latest models on risers visible from the highway. We hired a guy who worked there, selling extended warranties, telling us it was the most boring job in the world. I asked him why the building sat at an angle from the rest of the buildings in the area. His explanation was that in Korean business culture, it's good luck for the building to sit in a particular direction. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Most car companies, foreign brands in particular, set up headquarters in Southern California, which has a car-centric culture. It was believed that California was on the cutting edge of automotive trends, and that what was cool here eventually spread to the rest of the country. With all of the aviation and aerospace in the area, there was also no shortage of engineers. Almost every brand at least has a style and design center here. CALTY was Toyota's design center, and their first model that came to market was the '77 Celica. I didn't know where CALTY was, until I stumbled across it a few months ago on an urban hike in Newport Beach. I poked around and saw a few prototypes in the parking lot until I was shooed away by a security guard.

Along with Hyundai, Kia and Mazda are also a stone's throw from my office. Yamaha is nearby, but apparently leaving, and Suzuki is a few cities north of us. There's still a presence here.
 
Back
Top