Honda Milestones

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Honda was founded in 1948 and began mass-production of motorcycles at its first overseas production facility in Belgium in 1963. Since then, Honda has expanded its production globally in accordance with its fundamental principle of producing locally where there is demand. Honda currently produces a wide range of motorcycles, from 50cc commuters to 1,800cc models, at 35 facilities in 21 countries.

Check out some of the milestone’s on Honda’s path to today:

1948: Honda Motor Co., Ltd. founded
1949: Honda releases its first major motorcycle model, the Dream D-Type
1958: Honda releases its first Super Cub, the Super Cub C100
1963: Honda begins motorcycle production in Belgium (its first motorcycle factory outside of Japan)
1967: Honda begins motorcycle production in Thailand
1968: Honda reaches 10 million-unit milestone for cumulative global motorcycle production
1971: Honda begins motorcycle production in Indonesia
1976: Honda begins motorcycle production in Brazil / Honda begins motorcycle production in Italy
1979: Honda begins motorcycle production in North America
1980: Honda begins motorcycle production in Nigeria
1984: Honda reaches 50 million-unit milestone for cumulative global motorcycle production
1992: Honda begins motorcycle production in China
1997: Honda begins motorcycle production in Vietnam / Honda reaches 100 million-unit milestone for cumulative global motorcycle production (achieved in 48 years)
2001: Honda begins motorcycle production in India
2004: Honda exceeds 10 million-unit annual motorcycle production for the first time
2008: Honda reaches 200 million-unit milestone for cumulative global motorcycle production (11 years since 100 millionth unit)
2013: Honda begins motorcycle production in Bangladesh
2014: Honda reaches 300 million-unit milestone for cumulative global motorcycle production (6 years since 200 millionth unit)
2018: Honda exceeds 20 million-unit annual motorcycle production for the first time
2019: Honda reaches 400 million-unit milestone for cumulative global motorcycle production (5 years since 300 millionth unit)

“For 70 years, Honda has provided to customers worldwide motorcycles that make life easier and enjoyable. As a result, we have achieved our 400 million-unit milestone. I am grateful to all of our customers, and everyone involved in development, manufacturing, sales and service of our products. We will continue to do our best to provide attractive products that meet the needs and dreams of our customers worldwide.” – Takahiro Hachigo, Chief Executive Officer, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
 
"Bike" magazine out of the U.K. appears to exhibit a decent effort rating motorcycles. Each issue does a deep review of a bike.

I recently read the test review summaries in "Bike January 2020" and took a look at the Honda section. Here is a very brief sample of my findings:

GL1800 Gold Wing: 8/10

CBR1000RR Fireblade: 9/10

CB1000R: 8/10

Monkey: 7/10

CB500X: 7/10

CB1100EX: 7/10

CB1100RS: 7/10

NC750XDCT: 10/10

CBR650R/CB650R: 9/10

Africa Twin (incl. DCT): 10/10

VFR800F: 9/10
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
"Bike" magazine out of the U.K. appears to exhibit a decent effort rating motorcycles. Each issue does a deep review of a bike.

I recently read the test review summaries in "Bike January 2020" and took a look at the Honda section. Here is a very brief sample of my findings:

GL1800 Gold Wing: 8/10

CBR1000RR Fireblade: 9/10

CB1000R: 8/10

Monkey: 7/10

CB500X: 7/10

CB1100EX: 7/10

CB1100RS: 7/10

NC750XDCT: 10/10

CBR650R/CB650R: 9/10

Africa Twin (incl. DCT): 10/10

VFR800F: 9/10
Well somebody must be pleased with himself!:thumbsup:
pekingduck_imp said:
Hmmm, so we're ranked down there with the Monkeys. I think not!
I think we should be proud to be ranked along side of the Monkeys!
 
These reviews are always going to be subjective. While I think the NC750 makes a great commuter bike, it is, in my opinion characterless and gutless. That is due to the engine. The Africa Twin is a great bike if you’re not under 5’9” and weigh less than 148lb otherwise it’s a beast to haul around. I’d rather have a grom over a monkey, any day.
I rode a CBR650R which is a nice looking bike from the front but the rear end is still very CB650R to me and the ride is still too hard on the wrists for everyday riding on poorly surfaced roads which the UK is blighted with.
 
Buzzard Biker_imp said:
These reviews are always going to be subjective. While I think the NC750 makes a great commuter bike, it is, in my opinion characterless and gutless. That is due to the engine. The Africa Twin is a great bike if you’re not under 5’9” and weigh less than 148lb otherwise it’s a beast to haul around. I’d rather have a grom over a monkey, any day.
I rode a CBR650R which is a nice looking bike from the front but the rear end is still very CB650R to me and the ride is still too hard on the wrists for everyday riding on poorly surfaced roads which the UK is blighted with.
Reviews are always subjective. I don't care much about them. Maybe they can feed my interest for a special bike a bit and put it on my radar, if I want to buy another one, which I don't want to do anymore. I completely fed up.

Some even find the engine of the CB or the W boring. They can do so, I don't. I find a lot of bikes not good looking nowadays. Actually nearly most of them. I'm simply not amused by them and would not buy one of these. A bike has to look pretty, beautiful and attractive in my eyes. And it has to have a charming and reliable engine at the same time that overwhelms me. Not by higher revs but straight up from down under. So to say, no weak air compressor but with good and even torque over a wide range. I like this feel while riding. It pulls everywhere steady.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Buzzard Biker_imp said:
These reviews are always going to be subjective. While I think the NC750 makes a great commuter bike, it is, in my opinion characterless and gutless. That is due to the engine. The Africa Twin is a great bike if you’re not under 5’9” and weigh less than 148lb otherwise it’s a beast to haul around. I’d rather have a grom over a monkey, any day.
I rode a CBR650R which is a nice looking bike from the front but the rear end is still very CB650R to me and the ride is still too hard on the wrists for everyday riding on poorly surfaced roads which the UK is blighted with.
Reviews are always subjective. I don't care much about them. Maybe they can feed my interest for a special bike a bit and put it on my radar, if I want to buy another one, which I don't want to do anymore. I completely fed up.

Some even find the engine of the CB or the W boring. They can do so, I don't. I find a lot of bikes not good looking nowadays. Actually nearly most of them. I'm simply not amused by them and would not buy one of these. A bike has to look pretty, beautiful and attractive in my eyes. And it has to have a charming and reliable engine at the same time that overwhelms me. Not by higher revs but straight up from down under. So to say, no weak air compressor but with good and even torque over a wide range. I like this feel while riding. It pulls everywhere steady.

Wisedrum
Reviews are always subjective. I don't care much about them. Maybe they can feed my interest for a special bike a bit and put it on my radar, if I want to buy another one, which I don't want to do anymore. I completely fed up.

Some even find the engine of the CB or the W boring. They can do so, I don't. I find a lot of bikes not good looking nowadays. Actually nearly most of them. I'm simply not amused by them and would not buy one of these. A bike has to look pretty, beautiful and attractive in my eyes. And it has to have a charming and reliable engine at the same time that overwhelms me. Not by higher revs but straight up from down under. So to say, no weak air compressor but with good and even torque over a wide range. I like this feel while riding. It pulls everywhere steady.

Wisedrum I fully agree with your assessment of new bikes , very few look attractive to me .
 
I wish I had the whole list (extensive) handy, but a few I recall (not part of the Honda section):

* W800: 9/10
* V7: 6/10

Of course all reviews are subjective, but some reviews go through greater effort to formally document their experience and findings and make their report as transparent as possible and traceable. Their is merit in that (even if you have to pay for it), unlike many fly-by-night online-only reviews.

Some go back and revisit reviews to determine how their original review stood the test of time.

Many reviews miss details expressed in their respective Forums, like the CB1100 Forum.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
Buzzard Biker_imp said:
These reviews are always going to be subjective. While I think the NC750 makes a great commuter bike, it is, in my opinion characterless and gutless. That is due to the engine. The Africa Twin is a great bike if you’re not under 5’9” and weigh less than 148lb otherwise it’s a beast to haul around. I’d rather have a grom over a monkey, any day.
I rode a CBR650R which is a nice looking bike from the front but the rear end is still very CB650R to me and the ride is still too hard on the wrists for everyday riding on poorly surfaced roads which the UK is blighted with.
Reviews are always subjective. I don't care much about them. Maybe they can feed my interest for a special bike a bit and put it on my radar, if I want to buy another one, which I don't want to do anymore. I completely fed up.

Some even find the engine of the CB or the W boring. They can do so, I don't. I find a lot of bikes not good looking nowadays. Actually nearly most of them. I'm simply not amused by them and would not buy one of these. A bike has to look pretty, beautiful and attractive in my eyes. And it has to have a charming and reliable engine at the same time that overwhelms me. Not by higher revs but straight up from down under. So to say, no weak air compressor but with good and even torque over a wide range. I like this feel while riding. It pulls everywhere steady.

Wisedrum
Reviews are always subjective. I don't care much about them. Maybe they can feed my interest for a special bike a bit and put it on my radar, if I want to buy another one, which I don't want to do anymore. I completely fed up.

Some even find the engine of the CB or the W boring. They can do so, I don't. I find a lot of bikes not good looking nowadays. Actually nearly most of them. I'm simply not amused by them and would not buy one of these. A bike has to look pretty, beautiful and attractive in my eyes. And it has to have a charming and reliable engine at the same time that overwhelms me. Not by higher revs but straight up from down under. So to say, no weak air compressor but with good and even torque over a wide range. I like this feel while riding. It pulls everywhere steady.

Wisedrum I fully agree with your assessment of new bikes , very few look attractive to me .
Reviews are always subjective. I don't care much about them. Maybe they can feed my interest for a special bike a bit and put it on my radar, if I want to buy another one, which I don't want to do anymore. I completely fed up.

Some even find the engine of the CB or the W boring. They can do so, I don't. I find a lot of bikes not good looking nowadays. Actually nearly most of them. I'm simply not amused by them and would not buy one of these. A bike has to look pretty, beautiful and attractive in my eyes. And it has to have a charming and reliable engine at the same time that overwhelms me. Not by higher revs but straight up from down under. So to say, no weak air compressor but with good and even torque over a wide range. I like this feel while riding. It pulls everywhere steady.

Wisedrum I fully agree with your assessment of new bikes , very few look attractive to me .
I also agree. New bikes can somehow appear characterless. New technology is brilliant but not everything that epitomises what motorcycling is about.

Take super bikes for example; when do you ever get to go 150+mph on the road? You don’t. So they build them so they can be ridden to work and then used for track days but most track day enthusiasts would have an everyday sensible bike anyway.

In an ideal garage you would have a different type of bike for each type of riding you want to do on a given day. So about 6-8 bikes for me then.

These reviews are based on the individual bike and the particular sector it sits in along with the way it would be used. I take reviews with a pinch of salt and if any bike takes my fancy then I would check it out for myself and then evaluate it.
 
I agree about the extreme design of many of the new bikes on the market today. They look just plain weird to me - dare I say ugly.
I probably have too many bikes, but as was said, each one serves a different purpose to suit my mood on a given day.
But I will admit the 1100 is usually at the top of the list :D :D
 
Back
Top