Honda Luggage Rack

ron1100_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey folks,

I've been wanting to purchase the Honda rack but based on the few pictures I've seen, it appears to be taking away from the beautiful lines of the bike. I can't seem to find an image that give me a good perspective of the view from the side, rear and front/side angles.

For those that have installed the rack, have you had second thoughts about form/function vs. looks? Has it made you think twice about leaving it/removing it?

I'm sorry, I hope I'm not offending anyone just trying to get different perspectives.

Thanks.
 
Actually it looks good on the bike. Plus, it gives us a place to put a bag or whatever.
 
Good question and no offense taken. I just installed mine this past week. My wife walked out to the garage as I was installing the rack and her comment was: "It really doesn't look as cool with that piece installed, does it?" She's right, it is a luggage rack after all. It took a bit of time and patience to put the thing on so I've left it on for the time being. But I'll probably be taking mine off soon and setting it aside for the time being. When I think I'll be in need of it, I'll put it back on and I doubt it will take quite as long the second time around. The rack is nice, of good quality and it doesn't look bad on the bike. But the bike definitely looks better without the rack in my opinion.
 
Guth,

I just don't like the look of the way the tail light is mounted. Don't hate it, just not thrilled. So for me, the rack kinda hides that and, at least to my eye, finishes it up some. But, to each his own. Plus, I'm using the rack.
 
No worries popgun, it's all very subjective. Honestly, I'm glad that you're happy with it and should I start using mine more I might start to see it in a different light.
 
Guth_imp said:
No worries popgun, it's all very subjective. Honestly, I'm glad that you're happy with it and should I start using mine more I might start to see it in a different light.
Since I don't have a rack, I have a medium size tankbag that fits the bike.
I keep a nylon back pack folded up in the tankbag in case I need to carry something that won't fit in the tankbag. I think I am going to hold out for a set of side cases; Hepco Becker said they would some in about 30 days.
 
Luggage racks are like trunks on a motorcycle..generally hideous, but so convenient when you want to haul something ;)
 
Jwayne,

I want those HBs too. And 2 weeks ago they said 30 days for the mount. I guess the answer is always 30 days.

In the meantime I bought some Cortech soft bags for when I need them. They fit good, and look ok, but the tail lights put them a little too much forward. I'm a little guy so it doesn't affect me. YMMV Most of the time they are not on the bike.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Jwayne,

I want those HBs too. And 2 weeks ago they said 30 days for the mount. I guess the answer is always 30 days.

In the meantime I bought some Cortech soft bags for when I need them. They fit good, and look ok, but the tail lights put them a little too much forward. I'm a little guy so it doesn't affect me. YMMV Most of the time they are not on the bike.
As of Friday Moto Machines said 'it will be at least a month before we see the side carrier'. So the 30 day estimate appears to be optimistic. I'm thinking junior Flash. What are you considering?
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Jwayne,

I want those HBs too. And 2 weeks ago they said 30 days for the mount. I guess the answer is always 30 days.

In the meantime I bought some Cortech soft bags for when I need them. They fit good, and look ok, but the tail lights put them a little too much forward. I'm a little guy so it doesn't affect me. YMMV Most of the time they are not on the bike.
As of Friday Moto Machines said 'it will be at least a month before we see the side carrier'. So the 30 day estimate appears to be optimistic. I'm thinking junior Flash. What are you considering?
As of Friday Moto Machines said 'it will be at least a month before we see the side carrier'. So the 30 day estimate appears to be optimistic. I'm thinking junior Flash. What are you considering?
Same thing.

Hummm, maybe I can stall until you get them, and post the trials and tribulations of installing them, then I'll know what to do.:P
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for your responses. I think I'll hold out for one and hopefully will get to see one in person some time soon.
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Jwayne,

I want those HBs too. And 2 weeks ago they said 30 days for the mount. I guess the answer is always 30 days.

In the meantime I bought some Cortech soft bags for when I need them. They fit good, and look ok, but the tail lights put them a little too much forward. I'm a little guy so it doesn't affect me. YMMV Most of the time they are not on the bike.
As of Friday Moto Machines said 'it will be at least a month before we see the side carrier'. So the 30 day estimate appears to be optimistic. I'm thinking junior Flash. What are you considering?
As of Friday Moto Machines said 'it will be at least a month before we see the side carrier'. So the 30 day estimate appears to be optimistic. I'm thinking junior Flash. What are you considering?
I like the HB jr but, I really like the Strayker to go with the retro theme of the bike.
They are just kinda small at 23 liters per side.


http://www.motomachines.com/Strayker_c_30.html
 
Yes the Straykers seem to be the best aesthetically plus it looks like the C-bow mounts are hardly noticeable when the bags are off. However the size concerns me. I need to try to determine if my jacket will fit in one.
 
The only cheap accessory appears to be the RLET!

Everything else makes my wallet cry...
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The only cheap accessory appears to be the RLET!

Everything else makes my wallet cry...
The Stryker bags alone are $754. The rain covers are approx. $102 for two. (REALLY??...at $754 for 2 non-aluminum hard cases the rain covers are not included?) The mounting system is $533 for C-bows. That's $1381. If you really want to splurge then you can add the bag liners for a paltry $130 for the set to bring the grand total to $1511 (shipping is free on orders over $499). I'm far from cheap and I know quality costs but I like also like value. For my money this (to me at least) just isn't a value for what I'm getting in return.
 
Guth_imp said:
Good question and no offense taken. I just installed mine this past week. My wife walked out to the garage as I was installing the rack and her comment was: "It really doesn't look as cool with that piece installed, does it?" She's right, it is a luggage rack after all. It took a bit of time and patience to put the thing on so I've left it on for the time being. But I'll probably be taking mine off soon and setting it aside for the time being. When I think I'll be in need of it, I'll put it back on and I doubt it will take quite as long the second time around. The rack is nice, of good quality and it doesn't look bad on the bike. But the bike definitely looks better without the rack in my opinion.
Gentlemen,

I agree with Guth on this one. I have this chrome Honda rack. It's extreemly well made and hell for stout. The quality of the chrome is great. My only complaint is that it's heavy. I wish they had made it out of aluminum instead of steel. But it certainly detracts from the look of the bike so I took mine off too. Beauty trumps utility for me here. If I ever take my CB on a road trip I'll put it back on after I powdercoat it semi-gloss black.

Chip
 
Back
Top